[Release] Glare filter 1.0 (for Oolite 1.79)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] Glare filter 1.0 (for Oolite 1.79)

Post by spara »

I find the sun glare in Oolite 1.79 to be a cool, but sometimes annoying effect. Especially flying towards the sun in search for asteroids made me wonder if there could be a sun glare filter of some sort. And thanks to the Oolite devs there is now :D .

This oxz adds an equipment that offers three levels of filtering.

Here's the difference in Lave without and with the filter.

Download from the expansion pack manager.
Last edited by spara on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [WIP] Glare filter 0.1 (for Oolite 1.79)

Post by Stormrider »

Cool :D
spara wrote:
This simple oxz enhances the External Heat Shielding equipment so that there is a 50 % sun glare filter included.
Does the heat shielding cost more then? I wouldn't want to see the price of the shield go up, but I think this should be something you have to pay for. Could you make it a seperate piece of eq?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Stormrider wrote:
Does the heat shielding cost more then? I wouldn't want to see the price of the shield go up, but I think this should be something you have to pay for. Could you make it a seperate piece of eq?
Or even more than one ... a cheapo, low-tech version that gives you 10% reduction, a mid-range one at 30%, and a top-notch, high-tech, high price 50% filter.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

There are a lot of possibilities here. I'll need to ponder a bit. Don't want to make it too complicated or overwhelming.

At the moment I'm thinking that there could be a small filter coming with the external heat shield (20 %?). Something that is noticeable. Then there could be a separate equipment to enhances that to 50 %. The filter would be primeable, and it would wear out over time and you would have to buy it again. Priming also makes it possible to create a nice transition effect when the filter goes on or off.

Needs a bit experimentation. And all ideas are welcome.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
I'm thinking that there could be a small filter coming with the external heat shield (20 %?). Something that is noticeable. Then there could be a separate equipment to enhances that to 50 %. The filter would be primeable, and it would wear out over time and you would have to buy it again. Priming also makes it possible to create a nice transition effect when the filter goes on or off.
This sounds like a good plan!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I'd like to see a user-adjustable filter.. dial in the setting you want, on the fly, using the 'n' and 'b' keys.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I'd like to see a user-adjustable filter.. dial in the setting you want, on the fly, using the 'n' and 'b' keys.
After experimenting with different solutions, this one seems to be the way to go. The filter will wear out faster if you use it on a higher setting. Needs balancing and polishing, but it's coming.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Very good idea. Maybe a fictional temperature readout (the further the Sun the hotter) for extra ambience?

8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spara wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
After experimenting with different solutions, this one seems to be the way to go. The filter will wear out faster if you use it on a higher setting. Needs balancing and polishing, but it's coming.
Presumably it only degrades whilst actually in use? As in, if you only enable it when needed, you can extend the life of the filter?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Yes. If the filter is set to off, it won't degrade. It will be very cheap, comparable to a missile, but it will wear out at the highest setting in a couple of minutes.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Glare filter 0.2 (for Oolite 1.79)

Post by spara »

Ok. Total overhaul of the oxz. Download from the first post.

Code: Select all

"Paint your ship with electroactive polymer solution that filters sun glare. Three levels of filtering are possible by conducting electricity to the hull of the ship. When used, the coating gradually degrades and needs to be replaced. Operate the filter by priming and activating."
* A standalone equipment, no need for External Heat Shielding.
* Primable with three levels of filtering. Lower the setting with 'b' and raise with 'n'. Higher the setting, more rapidly it degrades.
* Coating will last for full 2 minutes with the highest setting. And 6 minutes with the lowest.
* Cheap to replace. Costs the same as a missile. Then again, it won't last for long.
* Available practically at all stations. It's a simple liquid compound anyway.

Have fun. Needs testing and testing. Oh and testing. :mrgreen:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Seems to work okay, but I could buy multiples in F3 (I actually only got one, of course).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
Seems to work okay, but I could buy multiples in F3 (I actually only got one, of course).
Good point. It's a side effect of making it possible to replace the filter before it's worn out. Simple to fix, I'll put it into the next version.

Another change that will go in is a small change of behaviour to the dial. Now you can't go past the highest setting (or the lowest). In the next version it will go from High to Off and vice versa. Feels more practical.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods> Makes sense - is this in the managed OXZ list, btw?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
<nods> Makes sense - is this in the managed OXZ list, btw?
Not yet. I'm still making big changes. The more I test it, more it needs tweaking :D . In practice I seem to be solely using the the highest setting briefly turning it on when I need to see. As a result, the best control method so far seems to be to put the dial into 'b' and on-off functionality to 'n'. So you adjust it to your liking and then just toggle it on and off.