[RELEASE] RNRL_Stormbrewer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

[RELEASE] RNRL_Stormbrewer

Post by Stormrider »

Dr. Barthalimeaw Rougryppar announced today the release of Red Neck Rocketscience Laboratories Stormbrewer. This long-range, heavy fighter is designed to meet the needs of a wide range of pilots. A pair of massive Ayboolgen~Gelnsdottyr witch drives mounted in a Sky Horse Starship hull deliver cutting edge performance and reliability. 48 tons of cargo space enable commanders to transport smaller cargos and with a generous six missle pylons you'll be sure to keep it.

The Darkside Moonshine Distillery, makers of Witchfire Whiskey have reportedly replaced some of thier Pythons with Stormbrewers. They claim that with half their cargos lost, the savings on insurance rates alone will pay off the new ship in a few cycles.

Witnesses have reported sightings of ships sporting the badge of the notorious Amber Moon Voyagers on new models. Some beings believe its no wonder considering Barthalimeaw's reputed connection to the not so secrert society more commonly referred to as the Amber Moon Vigilantes.

Stormbrewer

Length 87m
Width 166m
Height 32m
energy_recharge_rate = 4;
gun_mounts = 4
max_cargo = 48;
max_energy = 365.0;
max_flight_pitch = 1.6;
max_flight_roll = 2.0;
max_flight_speed = 385.0;
max_missiles = 6;
thrust = 42;
Price 312,000
Tech lvl 9 and up.

Stormbrewer Vigilante

Length 87m
Width 166m
Height 32m
energy_recharge_rate = 4;
gun_mounts = 4
max_cargo = 72;
max_energy = 420.0;
max_flight_pitch = 1.7;
max_flight_roll = 2.0;
max_flight_speed = 420.0;
max_missiles = 7;
thrust = 42;
Price 1,000,000
Tech lvl 12 and up.

Now available in the Expansion Manager

or get it here.
Last edited by Stormrider on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: wip RNRL_Stormbrewer

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very colourful.. which will make lots of folks happy.. 8)

Nice first effort.. I look forward to seeing how it goes.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Diziet Sma wrote:
+1 from me ... good-looking ships, that people can see! :D
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Thanks, I'm working on a no-shader version because they are kind of bland with shaders turned off. I hope to have it ready in the next few days.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

A nice piece of work, nippy little craft isn't it?

I..... ah ho......

GUNS GUNS MORE GUNS ARRRRRHHHH! (I'm sorry you had to see that... I'll get my coat)....
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Looks very good! We always welcome new ship builders.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Very nice new ship! Good work! :)

I also like the back-story. Maybe someday we can visit the the Darkside Moonshine Distillery and buy some noble drops there. Where is it located?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Maybe someday we can visit the the Darkside Moonshine Distillery and buy some noble drops there. Where is it located?
Well um, I'm still working on that one. I'm thinking a poor ag confederacy like Xererive or Riquri or even salt math to spawn some in a few poor ag confederacies in every galaxy, but I'm open to suggestions. 8)

I'd also like to develop a mission/storyline around the Amber Moon Voyagers, like maybe some Amber Moon Prophecies to chase down, but that's all still on the cerebral drawing board.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. :D
SARR
Competent
Competent

Post by SARR »

Hi Stormrider,

I like the ship -it has potential. What do you think of the following suggestion:

Why not create two versions of the ship? One -a small budget- version with the stats mentioned above and a slightly über-version for the rich customers.....it could replace the tiger as long distance fighter / medium priate ship. I would love to see the ship with 6 energy banks, 4.5 recharge rate, a speed of 0.420 e.g. and an expandable cargo space to a maximum of 60t. Should be sold not under 800.000 cr. I suppose.....

Greez Sarr
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

a speed of 0.420 e.g. and an expandable cargo space to a maximum of 60t.
Those stats are exactly what I started with when I built this ship, but I didn't want to make it too uber, (the ship library in 1.79 lists stats as : speed fast, generator strong, turn rate fast, shields very strong, by default). I like your idea though, I'll see what I can come up with.

I also noticed that the ship library listed weapons as 4 fixed, 4 pylons which is correct for the NPC versions but I think I should change it to 4 fixed, 6 pylons to reflect the player version stats.
SirArian
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SirArian »

Stormrider wrote:
Those stats are exactly what I started with when I built this ship, but I didn't want to make it too uber, (the ship library in 1.79 lists stats as : speed fast, generator strong, turn rate fast, shields very strong, by default). I like your idea though, I'll see what I can come up with.
I haven't flown it, but the ship looks good in those pictures. :D

As for the price, if you are interested someone on here figured out a pretty good (in my mind) formula for deciding what price is good for ships. See this thread. One thing that might cause problems if you are trying it (it did for me, at first) is you take the percents mentioned and add them before multiplying. (It will make more sense after you read the post...) I use those guidelines for my ships.
"May Duralium ever stand between you and the Vacuum."
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

As for the price, if you are interested someone on here figured out a pretty good (in my mind) formula for deciding what price is good for ships.
Thanks SirArian,

I've updated it based on Lestradae's math, dropped the price to 312,000. I also changed the shiplibrary.plist to show player weapon pylon stats rather than NPC.
Why not create two versions of the ship?
Alright here you go RNRL_Stormbrewer-XS for a cool 564,000. I decided to release this as a seperate OXP. It's designed to go with the original Stormbrewer OXP but it will work by itself...it just doesn't have as many paint versions, download link at top.
SARR
Competent
Competent

Post by SARR »

downloaded both and will try them out :mrgreen:

btw did you host them in Japan? I´ve got an awful download rate right now :wink:
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

btw did you host them in Japan? I´ve got an awful download rate right now
Hmm...not sure about that, I am in the western US. My box timezone setting is GMT-06:00 America/Denver MDT if that's what you mean. The original OXP is rather large for a single ship though.
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

I created a seperate file with the Psd, Obj, and other misc files to shorten download time, available at my box
Last edited by Stormrider on Thu May 01, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.