Data gathering - kill rates

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Data gathering - kill rates

Post by Bugbear »

I'd like to ask for some data from the community...I'm working on a Witchspace Blockade OXP but in the course of this development work, I came up with an idea that may be of use to new players - a warning system for when a player is about to jump into a 'dangerous' system, 'dangerous' being determined by taking into account the player rank and ship clock (i.e. how long they've been able to survive).

So could I ask for any commanders willing to volunteer their ship clock (nearest day will be sufficient) and current kill count?

I'll go first:

Clock: 2084925
Kill count: 2323
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Data gathering - kill rates

Post by Zireael »

I'd wait for the more experienced people to chip in. I've only played Oolite for a few days in-between all that tinkering.

Clock: 2084062
Kill count: 5 (that's because I've been doing Lave-Zaonce and Isinor-Tionisla milk runs)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander Cody:

Clock: 2088539
Kill count: 11164

Commander Jameson:

Clock: 2084026
Kill count: 44
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

2084872:6314
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

Clock: 2096492
Kills: 96644

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Commander Ranthe:
Clock - 2084848
Kills - 1347

Commander Trent:
Clock - 2084044
Kills - 71
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Bugbear wrote:
I'd like to ask for some data from the community...I'm working on a Witchspace Blockade OXP but in the course of this development work, I came up with an idea that may be of use to new players - a warning system for when a player is about to jump into a 'dangerous' system, 'dangerous' being determined by taking into account the player rank and ship clock (i.e. how long they've been able to survive).
Are you going to set a fixed ratio (e.g., 10 kills per 100 days) or simply go with kills/time survived and warn if the amount of ships in the system is going to be bigger than the ratio which comes out?

Because I completely applaud such an idea. Along with displaying said ratio somewhere (F5-F5 or MFDs, if you're on 1.79)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

First the data you've asked for:
Clock: 2086300:21.02:33
Killcount: 2125 (Dangerous)

Current Commander: Commander Groove
Ship: Monitor-Type 2: Blue light of Oberon II (the first one was destroyed in a large group attack but I managed to Escape in a pod).
It's my sixth ship since the start of the this commander (IRL in 2006/2007).
Ship progression: Cobra Mk1 - Starseeker Personal Shuttle - Cobra Mk3- Monitor 1 - Monitor II - Monitor II nr 2 (current ship)

Persent system Isenes (G7)
Legal Status: Clean.
8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander Diziet Sma - Bounty-hunter
Clock: 2084922
Kill count: 1119

Commander Heretic - Trader
Clock: 2084583
Kill count: 182

Commander Smuggler
Clock: 2084356
Kill count: 123

Commander Pirate
Clock: 2084195
Kill count: 107

Commander Trunk Test-Pilot
Clock: 2084018
Kill count: 1
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mad Hollander »

Bugbear wrote:

So could I ask for any commanders willing to volunteer their ship clock (nearest day will be sufficient) and current kill count?
How to know kill count ?
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Mad Hollander wrote:
Bugbear wrote:

How to know kill count ?
Kill count = the number in brackets after your Rating on F5 screen
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

Zireael wrote:
Are you going to set a fixed ratio (e.g., 10 kills per 100 days) or simply go with kills/time survived and warn if the amount of ships in the system is going to be bigger than the ratio which comes out?

Because I completely applaud such an idea. Along with displaying said ratio somewhere (F5-F5 or MFDs, if you're on 1.79)
Unfortunately, there's no way to predict the number of ships in an uninitialised system. I suppose I could artifically make the destination more dangerous by adding extra pirates, but I'm not intending on going down that route at this stage.

I'm planning on starting by keeping things simple. Putting things in context, there are 8 government types, indexed from 0 (Anarchy) to 7 (Corporate). For a Harmless Jameson, they would get warnings for jumps to systems of type 3 or lower.

Mostly Harmless, 2 and lower
Poor, 1 and lower
Average, 0

However, this would do nothing for the beginner that aren't piloting ships capable of racking up the kills.

After 24 hours of gathering data, daily kill rates seem to range from 0.1 to around 8.0 per ship day. So pending any future optimisation, I'll settle on an 'average' of 1 kill per day being a typical kill rate for a surviving player.

In the absence of actual kills, and for the purposes of this OXP, a player lasting 8 days would be granted an unofficial ranking of Mostly Harmless, 16 days - Poor, 32 days - Average etc.

In this way, as a player demonstrates that they are capable of keeping themselves alive, the number of pre-jump warnings they receive will reduce.

In all honesty, I've no idea if this will be too naggy (perhaps I'll only pop up a warning for the first 2 or 3 visits to a system...)
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I've made my Useful MFDs OXP display the kill rate, so I can say that my fresh Commander has a kill rate of 0.6 so far.
Last edited by Zireael on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Avago-Ero
Average
Average

Post by Commander Avago-Ero »

Bugbear wrote:

I'll go first:

Clock: 2084925
Kill count: 2323
Clock: 2084188
Kill Count: 392

Mainly Milk Runs Tionisla/Isonor then Sun Scooping to get to TL 14 for equipment. Need some Lethal Brandy before I brave any Anarchies. Do the GalCops carry breathalysers?
Attitude Adjustment? I'm too old for an ASBO!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander Avago-Ero wrote:
Do the GalCops carry breathalysers?
They don't bother.. Commanders who fly under the influence tend to become statistics.. :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied