[Re-RELEASE] D.T.T. Planet Express 1.1 (Re-scaled)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Re-RELEASE] D.T.T. Planet Express 1.1 (Re-scaled)

Post by Paradox »

"Good news everyone!"... I am finally releasing my D.T.T Planet Express.

Originally, I had modeled in the side door, rear grill/vents, "torpedo tubes", and portholes. I decided to try and Photoshop those into the texture instead. The result was a polygon reduction from over 3000 to 1628.

According to Wikipedia, "...As the Professor prefers to send the crew on dangerous missions in favor of higher profit margins, the ship is well armed and quite fast. The ship is capable of travel faster than the current speed of light, by shifting the entire universe [7] The ship can actually travel at 97% of the new light speed.[8]..." So, I set the speed to 550 because Oolite. Max_cargo = 30, because Oolite, and scale is 3 times larger than it should be because Oolite! };] Same with the rest of the stats! What you don't like, you may easily change! I know I will, as it is way too twitchy for me to play by keyboard!

Length 150m
Width 50.4m
Height 50m
energy_recharge_rate = 2.5;
max_cargo = 30;
max_energy = 350;
max_flight_pitch = 1.5;
max_flight_roll = 2.2;
max_flight_yaw = 1.5;
max_flight_speed = 550;
max_missiles = 4;
thrust = 40;
Price 100,000
Tech lvl 11 and up.

Get it HERE!

I have Included an Extras folder, which includes such things as the original .obj files, the original texture template and my Photoshop files, so you may customize this ship however you like.

To install, just unzip and place the .oxp folder into your AddOns folder.

Released under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 license yada yada yada... I HIGHLY encourage you to change/modify this ship to meet your needs, I only ask that you give me credit for the original mesh/texture. Thanks and enjoy!

Also, if you are one of the many who have helped me with answers, advice, testing, or input, I thank you! (Especialy you Dizzy!)

Paradox a.k.a CybOrSpasm

P.S. Check this baby out in REAR VIEW at full speed! 19 engine exhausts in YOUR FACE! :twisted:
P.P.S. I haven't really play tested this much, so any problems, let me know...
Last edited by Paradox on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] D.T.T. Planet Express 1.0

Post by Commander McLane »

Nice ship, but you've fallen to the trap of scaling it to human size. So the ship ends up far too small in comparison to the Oolite ships. It's the same size as an Adder. Well, an Adder can accommodate a crew of 1 and has a cargo capacity of 2 (or 5, depending on who you ask). Thus it becomes clear that the Planet Express must be much bigger than an Adder. At least as big as a Cobra III, which has a similar cargo capacity, and can only accommodate a crew of 2.

So I would have kept the roughly Python size. My suggestion: triple the dimensions to 150 x 49.2 x 50.1.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] D.T.T. Planet Express 1.0

Post by Paradox »

Commander McLane wrote:
Nice ship, but you've fallen to the trap of scaling it to human size. So the ship ends up far too small in comparison to the Oolite ships. It's the same size as an Adder. Well, an Adder can accommodate a crew of 1 and has a cargo capacity of 2 (or 5, depending on who you ask). Thus it becomes clear that the Planet Express must be much bigger than an Adder. At least as big as a Cobra III, which has a similar cargo capacity, and can only accommodate a crew of 2.

So I would have kept the roughly Python size. My suggestion: triple the dimensions to 150 x 49.2 x 50.1.
Seems like we spend a lot of time here treating the symptoms instead of curing the disease...

Before I waste more hours on re-scaling it (again), and re-writing the plist(again) etc, is there anyone actually planning on flying this ship on a regular basis?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] D.T.T. Planet Express 1.0 Temporarily Unavaila

Post by another_commander »

The re-scaling discussion part of this thread has been split per Redspear's request to a separate thread in Discussion.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Re-RELEASE] D.T.T. Planet Express 1.1 (Re-scaled)

Post by Paradox »

OK... here is the re-scaled version for those who are interested.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

There was a planet express that was npc and ejected bender when it was destroyed. what ever happened to that. Way more fun than flying it without Lela.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
There was a planet express that was npc and ejected bender when it was destroyed. what ever happened to that. Way more fun than flying it without Lela.
If there was, it wasn't by me... However, the more I think about it, it wouldn't be hard to do... Bender would be a pretty easy model to make, then just make that the escape pod... Maybe someday if someone else doesn't do it first... Right now I am playing Chrono Cross with a PS 1 emulator. };]
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Griff in 2007: Kaleo's request for the Firefly spaceship jogged my memory that i had a version of the Futurama Planet Express ship hanging around, just acts like a normal oolite trader http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m213 ... enshot.png Planet Express ... found it: Author is Griff and it is still active.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Paradox's version makes mine look like a sack of crap, fantastic work on the modelling & textures Paradox!
I'm not sure you need to specify Bender as an escape capsule to have him spawn when the ship dies but then thinking about it if you did so he'd then fly off towards the nearest station which would be neat - you could get him to broadcast some quotes from the series as he goes :lol:
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Griff wrote:
Paradox's version makes mine look like a sack of crap, fantastic work on the modelling & textures Paradox!
I'm not sure you need to specify Bender as an escape capsule to have him spawn when the ship dies but then thinking about it if you did so he'd then fly off towards the nearest station which would be neat - you could get him to broadcast some quotes from the series as he goes :lol:
I would hardly say "sack of crap"... Your version simply remains faithful to the cartoon-ish style, where as mine is the more anal-retentive interpretation. };]

I do thank you for your praise Griff. As always, it means much coming from one who has set the bar so high!

Bender as an escape capsule, I could do... And though the idea of Bender as a "talking" escape capsule (i.e. "Bite my shiny metal butt..!") as he jets away, is so very appealing, it is beyond my capabilities (and interest) in scripting. I will probably play around in Wings3D today to see if I can model him, and if anyone wants to pick up the scripting, I would be delighted to make this a collaboration!
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

To keep "the bird" or not to keep "the bird"... That is the question!
Here is a non textured Wings3D shot of him so far...

Opinions?

Also, I can only really think of two things for him to say off th top of my head, and without watching the entire series again. }:]

"Bite my shiny metal butt/ass!"
and
"Death to all humans!"

Anyone think of more?

Another thing... :twisted: What are the chances of using sound clips when a ship is destroyed? Sort of like when you are in the aegis of a station and you hear the radio chatter? I am sure we can finder Bender clips out on the intra webs. };]
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

I think a Bender escape pod is a great idea. I've already downloaded the ship, but haven't encountered one yet.

A couple more quotes (from http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Bender_B ... %C3%ADguez):
Bender wrote:
Well, we're boned!
Into the breach, meatbags
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

"She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes..
She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes..
I'll kill you, Amy!
She'll be coming 'round the mountain, she'll be coming 'round the mountain..."
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
Another thing... :twisted: What are the chances of using sound clips when a ship is destroyed? Sort of like when you are in the aegis of a station and you hear the radio chatter? I am sure we can finder Bender clips out on the intra webs. };]
Heh.. I was thinking of suggesting that when you first mentioned the idea of bender quotes. With the new sound-handling code in 1.79, I believe it should be fairly easy.

Oh yeah.. I vote to keep "the bird".. that's classic Bender.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

After far too long, and too many distractions, I've finally gotten around to adding the Planet Express ship to the Oolite Wiki. Sorry for the delay, mate!

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/D.T.T. ... ip_Designs