Bgs tunnel textures

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Bgs tunnel textures

Post by spara »

I like to have different bgs tunnel textures for different dockables and for that reason I have constructed some custom ones. These can be found from Space Bars, Navy Dockables and Anarchies stations. Some I have made from scratch and some I have tweaked from textures by other people. Here's a couple more that I'm using right now and want to share.

These I use or have used with Rock Hermits. Gives a nice drilled tunnel effect when wrapped into a round tunnel. Or a cave like feeling when wrapped into a rectangle. Texture is constructed from rock texture found from Griff's all in one shipset. (1024 x 1024)

This one is made for Thargoid's Kiota stations. Texture is constructed from Kiota dock texture. (512 x 512)

Some screenies:

If someone else has done some nice bgs tunnel textures and would like to share them then this is the right place.
Last edited by spara on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Bgs tunnel textures

Post by JazHaz »

That explains that screenshot yesterday. Cool, well done!
Last edited by JazHaz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Indeed, although it may look odd if (conjecturally) viewed from the outside in this case (as the neck of the Kiota tube isn't that thick). But I agree it's a nice touch.

One other small point - at the moment BGS overwrites any pre-existing tunnel effects (like my one in the Aqualina HQ station). Svengali is aware of this, but it may come into play if others are starting to experiment in this area.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Thargoid wrote:
Indeed, although it may look odd if (conjecturally) viewed from the outside in this case (as the neck of the Kiota tube isn't that thick). But I agree it's a nice touch.
:) Actually I think that _any_ BGS tunnel looks a little bit out of place, but I think that the present BGS tunnel is lot better than those coloured retro circles. I've been trying to make my tunnels to look a bit like the actual dock so that you can identify the dockable from the tunnel. That's the reason for that Kiota tunnel to resemble the actual dock, but not being a replica of it.

Nice original texture by the way. It scales amazingly good while being quite a low res. Tunnel texture is 528 x 514.
Thargoid wrote:

One other small point - at the moment BGS overwrites any pre-existing tunnel effects (like my one in the Aqualina HQ station). Svengali is aware of this, but it may come into play if others are starting to experiment in this area.
Good to know. Not much traffic in that department though.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

BGS oxp comes with its custom one, nice to see some extra tunnels. Great !
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

spara wrote:
Tunnel texture is 528 x 514.
I thought Oolite doesn't handle non-power-of-two, non-square textures? Or it internally converts them to the next power of two? Which would mean that the texture would effectively be 1024 x 1024.

I'm not sure about any of this, however. Perhaps one of the devs can shed some light on the issue.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Commander McLane wrote:
spara wrote:
Tunnel texture is 528 x 514.
I thought Oolite doesn't handle non-power-of-two, non-square textures? Or it internally converts them to the next power of two? Which would mean that the texture would effectively be 1024 x 1024.
Non-square is fine - 1024x512, for instance, or 512x3072 for a cube map. Others get rescaled to the nearest power of 2, 512x512 in this case - enable the texture.load.rescale log type in logcontrol.plist if you want to be told when this happens.

There is some unfinished and disabled code to support non-POT textures without resizing them, but there are some disadvantages to using non-POT textures, and very old graphics cards won't have the OpenGL extension needed for them, so it's best to use the standard sizes if possible: at the very least it's inefficient to make Oolite repeatedly rescale the texture every time it needs to load it but doesn't have it cached.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Thank for the heads up. I just chopped and copied and pasted and tested and it just seemed to work. Did not give a thought about the preferred size :oops: . No more of that :D . Kiota tunnel texture is now reworked to 512 x 512. And while I was at it, I added a couple on screenshots to the first post showing these textures in action.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

nice work spara, those textures look gorgeous!