Additional Planets SR.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Additional Planets SR.oxp

Post by Redspear »

mossfoot wrote:
Okay I don't see it there. I see sr_base, sr_demux_gas_giants, and sr_pack_redux

Checked all the spara-based ones and nothing else comes up that might be it.
OK, I've got another idea. I could rename the file and then upload it again (altering the mainfets) but I should probably test to see if I can download it within the game first. Next time I fire up the game (soon hopefully) I'll have a better idea of whether or not that might be necessary.
Diziet Sma wrote:
It's the same with Orbits, Demux, Redux, Deep Horizons, or anything else that adds more planets or moons to a system. I've come to the conclusion it's some weird limitation of the AMD/ATI X2300 graphics chip. Imagine what you see in the above stills, but flickering extremely rapidly, whenever I turn the ship in the direction where a planet or moon is situated. It makes things almost unplayable.
That stinks :(
Before I got shaders, there was a lot of stuff posted on here that I could only drool at, so I sympathise... Sorry dude :|
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Try:

oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/oolite/ManagedAddOns
mossfoot wrote:
Okay I don't see it there. I see sr_base, sr_demux_gas_giants, and sr_pack_redux

Checked all the spara-based ones and nothing else comes up that might be it.
As it says in the error message, Oolite leaves the downloaded but failed file at:
21:36:09.821 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not contain a manifest.plist, has been left in /home/user/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.oxz
:wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Download still fails. The new error message, since the wrapper-folder problem was fixed, says:

Code: Select all

13:42:27.431 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not have the same identifer and version as expected.
I've now downloaded the file manually, and checked, and have found the problem(s). Only one of which actually causes the download failure.. the other is mostly cosmetic, but should be fixed as well.

The manifest.plist created at Oolite.org (the one that becomes part of the "Master OXZ List" that Oolite downloads), has:

identifier = oolite.oxp.redspear.additional_planets_sr_demux_volcanic;
The internal manifest.plist, however, has:

"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.spara.additional_planets_sr_demux_volcanic";
Whilst the quotation marks in the second instance are irrelevant, "redspear" and "spara" are the things causing the identifier mismatch. Rather than edit the internal version and upload the file yet again, it may be simpler to just edit the manifest.plist at Oolite.org to match the internal identifier. After which, all people will need to do is update their master list of OXZs in Oolite, and the OXZ should then install correctly.

(Although, am I correct in assuming this Volcanic Pack is your own work, and not Spara's? If so, then you may prefer to update the internal manifest.plist to "redspear", to match the current "Master OXZ List" entry, and just upload the new version of the OXZ instead.)

And the 'cosmetic' fix?
The supplied file size is supposed to be in bytes, not MB, so while you're fixing things at Oolite.org, you might want to change file_size = 8; to file_size = 7982292;. :wink: Note also that there are no commas in the number.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Oh dear :oops:
I messed that up good and proper didn't I? :lol:

Well, the textures are my work (or, more accurately, reworkings) whereas the ones already released weren't touched and so spara's coding was the new work. Besides, he's maintaining those ones and I'm (trying to :roll: ) maintain the others.

OK, I'll correct it in a few hours or so and upload another pack as well by way of an apology.

Thanks Dizzy. Considering that your computer can't even make use of this oxz, that was above and beyond, sir :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
Thanks Dizzy. Considering that your computer can't even make use of this oxz, that was above and beyond, sir :)
My pleasure.. the funny thing is, I was also inspired by all this to run a check with the same laptop running Win7 (it can boot up WinXP, Win7, Mint17, Ubuntu Studio and ArchLinux, but I don't use Windows for much of anything)

On Windows, the extra planets and moons render fine, with no artifacts.. however, the background stars and nebula are just pale square blobs.. (old problem I've known about for a long time) so that suggests that the problems are due to the drivers, not the hardware. Both the Windows and Linux drivers are the latest versions though, so I guess I'm stuck with it. :mrgreen:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

I had the dreaded "square blobs" problem but I fixed it by tinkering in Oolite's settings file (forget the name but could find it for you). It was, as you say, a driver related issue but it was a one line fix. Have you tried that?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
I had the dreaded "square blobs" problem but I fixed it by tinkering in Oolite's settings file (forget the name but could find it for you). It was, as you say, a driver related issue but it was a one line fix. Have you tried that?
No.. I wouldn't know where to start.. if you can find your fix, that would be great.. it's been annoying me for a few years now. (well, not exactly, since I usually run Linux, but the problem has been around that long, anyway)
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Diziet Sma wrote:
No.. I wouldn't know where to start.. if you can find your fix, that would be great.. it's been annoying me for a few years now. (well, not exactly, since I usually run Linux, but the problem has been around that long, anyway)
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hidden ... _in_Oolite

Key: use-texture-lod-bias
Type: boolean
Default: YES
Introduced: 1.73
Texture LOD bias is an extension used to control the tradeoff between blurriness and graphical artefacts in textures. On certain ATi hardware under Windows, the use of texture LOD bias causes graphical problems, notably untextured stars and nebulae.

Adding the line

"use-texture-lod-bias" = NO;
to .GNUstepDefaults worked for me.

Good luck! :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks! I'll check it out when I get a chance.. 8)
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Download still fails.
OK, I've fixed that and tested the download which now works successfully.
I've also uploaded another pack (as promised): non-demux gas giants.

I've noticed that the names I've given them are a bit too long in that they obscure the version number when using the games installer. I'll look to remedy that with any future versions but right now I'd just be happy if they work :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Redspear wrote:
I've noticed that the names I've given them are a bit too long in that they obscure the version number when using the games installer. I'll look to remedy that with any future versions but right now I'd just be happy if they work :lol:
You only need to make this change on the oolite.org manifest editor version.. the internal Title doesn't matter (unlike the internal identifier). So the fix only takes a few seconds. I already did this, for the same reason, with the +cataclysm+ music pack.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
the internal Title doesn't matter (unlike the internal identifier)
Partly true - once you've installed the OXZ, some screens (upgrade and uninstall, I think) will use the title which is inside it.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Oops.. thanks for the clarification.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

In the expansion pack manager in the game, when I select the "Additional Planets SR Others Gas Giants" v1.1, it reports that the download size is "<1 KB". This seems to be a *touch* smaller than the actual download size of 19MB!

Just thought you'd like to know.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

phkb wrote:
the download size is "<1 KB". This seems to be a *touch* smaller than the actual download size of 19MB!
Additional six zeros in the file size field can help - or the remove of separator commas/dots.