Higher resolution Textures for Famous / Povray planets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Higher resolution Textures for Famous / Povray planets

Post by parazaine »

Firstly, i would like to commend the Author's (and contributors) of 'Famous Planets' and 'Povray Planets'

This project was primarily a personal one to revamp (produce higher resolution versions) of the original famous planets textures. I discovered during this process that the task I had set myself was going to be much more difficult than i originally anticipated.

The result will not be to everyone's taste, the new resolution is 8k by 4k (forgot I cube-mapped them....cube maps are 2k per side) but due to the game engine they still do not look perfect at very close range (i.e. near stations) but ALL planetary textures in Oolite suffer from the same problem....the higher resolution mitigates this to some extent. They are all Cube mapped to take advantage of this new feature in Oolite 1.77

Very low-end computers are going to struggle to display these textures.

These textures are named in accordance with 'Famous Planets' BUT can easily be re-named to fit into 'Povray Planets' with the famous planets name, eg Lave.png being replaced by gal1-Lave.png.

They are split into Gal1 and Gal2 downloads so re-naming should be fairly straightforward.
As with all texture replacements, be sure to back up the original textures somewhere before overwriting them.

Here is a link to a slideshow showing a selection of about 16 of them

http://s877.photobucket.com/user/paraza ... %20Planets

and now the download links

galaxy 1 Famous Planets Textures https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwOHlOv ... sp=sharing

galaxy 2 Famous Planets Textures https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwOHlOv ... sp=sharing
Last edited by parazaine on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Higher resolution Textures for Famous / Povray planets

Post by JazHaz »

Congratulations on the release.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Those do look pretty gorgeous.. well done!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Congrats on getting it up. 8)

I did fly a while with your set and it is very nice. It has IMO a bit different character from the original FP set. I like some from the original set better. But as I've said I combine the best textures of the two sets. 8). I find Lave especially good.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Thank you for the kind comments....like i said, they won't be to everyone's taste and they are done in a different style.

I briefly contemplated doing the same process with all the rest of the planets in Povray planets and then realized just how crazy that would be :)

Oscar Wilde's last words
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

parazaine wrote:
I briefly contemplated doing the same process with all the rest of the planets in Povray planets and then realized just how crazy that would be :)
Considering they're machine generated - perhaps yes. It would be a mighty cpu hog but those textures could be rendered larger.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

submersible wrote:
parazaine wrote:
Considering they're machine generated - perhaps yes. It would be a mighty cpu hog but those textures could be rendered larger.
I worked out i could do them at about 1k per side cube-mapped at about 10meg per planet....that's about 2 gigs per galaxy

The thing that put me off was doing 2000 planetary textures by hand and not procedurally, although i did start :D

Oscar Wilde's last words
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

These are very eye catching and certainly brighten up my game.

They must have taken quiet some time and patience to produce, Thank you

As far as I can See there are 50 textures for Galaxy 1 and 35 Textures for Galaxy 2 ...85 total. And with a little patience and some renaming they can be spread out across the Eight :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV