[UPDATED RELEASE] Coyote's Run Mission

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[UPDATED RELEASE] Coyote's Run Mission

Post by Okti »

WARNING: do not install the Coyote's Run for Griff OXP contained within the .zip, as it's currently broken. [Added by DaddyHoggy, as requested by Cody, as suggested by luminous, on Dec. 2nd 2013

As far as Oolite is an open ended game, and the main purpose of the game for the player is to achieve Elite rank, that will take some time.

For a player who has discovered Oolite recently, the first aim is to equip their ship so that they can start to kill other ships. So they have to learn docking manually first, and then try to find an easy trade run to earn a lot of credits. Flying a standard Cobra III with a 20t cargo hold, that will take some time, but after a while you buy a cargo bay extension and start to earn more credits. You learn to avoid the space lanes at times, and slowly the player earns enough money to buy a better laser, fuel scoops, docking computers, navigation upgrades and better shields, then military lasers and finally make their ship iron-assed.

That is the time to start to go hunting other ships, or not, according to the career chosen by the player. Then there will be the native missions, and the player will be out of his routine for a while. Depending on which OXPs are installed, you may have more missions and jump to other galaxies.

The challenging part of Oolite is the missions, because most of the time you are dragged out of your character and forced to do something else. There are a lot of very good mission OXPs, but as a player who has done those missions, then what?

So that is my work... to provide an interesting mission to the commoonity, based on an excellent tale by El Viejo. With his help from day one, I decided to author that OXP, and many other people have helped during the developement stages.

Here is the readme!
Coyote’s Run OXP by Okti

Introduction:

This OXP is based on the Oolite fiction short story Coyote, by El Viejo.

The mission will commence when the player jumps into Laquused in G5, with a Cloaking Device. The mission uses comms messages extensively, and the player can check the current instructions by accessing the F5F5 screen. Also, all previous mission screens can be viewed by pressing F7 when docked to view System Information. The normal System Information can be displayed by a second F7 when mission screens are exited.

Most of the actions are scripted according to the tale and only slightly changed or extended. It would be handy to have read the tale, or to read it during the mission play, but the OXP can be enjoyed even if you haven’t read the tale.

The short story Coyote, can be downloaded here.

Installation:

Inside the .zip there are two OXPs… move the Coyote’s Run.oxp into your AddOns folder. If you use Griff’s all-in-one shipset in your game, then you should also install the Coyote’s Run for Griff.oxp into your AddOns folder… this will ensure that all the ships in the OXP are Griff ships.

Credits:

El Viejo (Screenplay Consultant): for allowing me to script his intellectual property, correcting the mission texts, giving ideas, test running the mission, motivating me during the WIP period... in short, for directing the OXP.

Smivs: for providing textures and test playing the mission, and invaluable insights and advice.

Fatleaf (Chief Test-pilot): for testing, giving ideas, motivation and making me laugh at his comments, and his heroic efforts to ‘break’ the mission.

Mauiby de Fug: for testing, correcting typos and his kind PM’s and posts about the mission.

Svengali, Ironfist: for testing and giving ideas about placing objects in the right locations.

Wyvern: for modeling and quaternion help and also for suggestions for the mission.

Griff: for allowing me to write the overrides oxp for his shipset, and his help in providing a custom paintjob and decals for some ships.

Eric Walch: for testing the plist’s on his Mac.

PhantorGorth: for facilitating the development environment in the Oolite chatroom, and for his knowledge of JavaScript.

All the regulars at DS's Seedy Space Bar for the 'vibes'… thanks, guys and gals!

All OXP authors, from whose work I learnt so much, and the Oolite development team, without which many missions would not be possible.

Copyright:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.
The Mission OXP can be downloaded from here

Enjoy.

Edit:
A plist error for Coyote's Run for Griff has been corrected.
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: The OXP is somewhat broken...
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [RELEASE] Coyote's Run Mission

Post by Smivs »

Great piece of work Okti, and the very best of luck with it. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Okti,

Congratulations on the release, I am sure it will be a success.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Very nice work, Okti… it has been a real pleasure working on this project with you and the team.

I should mention that use is made of various ‘sector names’ in the OXP... these are taken from ClymAngus’ excellent chart of G5, which can be downloaded here.
In part, it was ClymAngus’ chart that inspired the original Coyote short story... as did Oolite itself, of course.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Congratulations on the release! 'Twas a pleasure to test, and I have to say, you did an excellent job! In my experience, very rarely do things work well when being adapted from one medium to another, but you managed to keep the spirit of the original whilst adding to it. I honestly found it to be one of the best mission oxps I've played, and hope it does as well as it deserves!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Sounds like a lot of fun! Will look forward to trying it. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Nice one Okti, El Viejo and crew - Good to have something to look forward to in Galaxy 5.

And is this a first as a full mission OXP based on fan fic? If so even more Kudos to all involved.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Cody

Post by Cody »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
is this a first as a full mission OXP based on fan fic?
I believe this to be the case, yes.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Okti, in the readMe you write:
readMe wrote:
Erich Walch: for testing the plist’s on his Mac.
That is only valid for the plists you gave me, not for the ones in "Coyote's run For Griff". That oxp contains two ships in shipdata.plist. The second ship dictionary misses the terminating semicolon.

--

Last week I finished the Trident Down mission. That was Galaxy 4, so time to buy a Galactic jump and start a new mission. :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
"Coyote's run For Griff". That oxp contains two ships in shipdata.plist. The second ship dictionary misses the terminating semicolon.
Thanks Eric... that'll be fixed soon. Okti has upload problems atm, so a fixed Coyote's Run for Griff oxp can be found here.
Eric Walch wrote:
Last week I finished the Trident Down mission. That was Galaxy 4, so time to buy a Galactic jump and start a new mission.
Enjoy!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

El Viejo wrote:
Enjoy!
I will. I was just a bit confused when reading:
The mission will commence when the player jumps into Laquused in G5,
I visited Laquused often the past few days, doing the Trident Down mission in G4. But, looking in the galactic chart cleared it up; there is a 'Laquused' in both G4 and G5 :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Eric Walch wrote:
...there is a 'Laquused' in both G4 and G5 :wink:
They're clones :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

El Viejo wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
"Coyote's run For Griff". That oxp contains two ships in shipdata.plist. The second ship dictionary misses the terminating semicolon.
Thanks Eric... that'll be fixed soon. Okti has upload problems atm, so a fixed Coyote's Run for Griff oxp can be found here.
Eric Walch wrote:
Last week I finished the Trident Down mission. That was Galaxy 4, so time to buy a Galactic jump and start a new mission.
Enjoy!
Thanks Eric for locating the error, and El Viejo for hosting the overrides OXP while I could not upload.

The box is updated now and the link in the first post is valid. For those who has downloaded the OXP, only downloading the Coyote's Run for Griff oxp from here will be sufficient.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Cody

Post by Cody »

Those of you who have read Coyote may recall mention of Avernus Orbital. In Coyote’s Run, Avernus Orbital is a unique station, and it is defended by unique ships… the fearsome Green Geckos, piloted by the Green Knights of Lago. Tangle with these guys at your own risk, Commanders!

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice to see the words turned into something "real" so brilliantly!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here