OXP UPDATE (but initial thread seems absent): Nexus missile

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

OXP UPDATE (but initial thread seems absent): Nexus missile

Post by UK_Eliter »

This OXP provides various multi-warhead, semi-automatically-targetting, missiles.

Download here: http://www.box.net/shared/moreq536ht

The latest version (1.4) contains a few fixes and changes to make the missile(s) work better (if I may be vague . .).

PS: I've just come across various mentions of this OXP on the board. Great to see people are using my OXP!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP UPDATE (but initial thread seems absent): Nexus miss

Post by UK_Eliter »

New version (1.45) available from same address as before. New and slightly improved!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

I've got a new version of this OXP out. From the readme for this version:

Code: Select all

[b]Changes since 1.46:
- code optimisations , fixes, texture compression, and cleanup. The missiles should work in a slightly more intelligent way, now;
- made the missiles more widely available;
- PLEASE DELETE EXISTING OXP FOLDER before adding this one (i.e. don't install this one over the top of the other).[/b]
Please report any problems here. Happy flying!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[UPDATE]: Nexus missile

Post by UK_Eliter »

Dear all

A new version of this expansion pack is available for download: This version is compatible with Oolite 1.8 and not compatible with earlier versions of Oolite. There are no (other) substantial changes.

The previous version of the expansion pack - a version that is compatible with Oolite <1.8 - is available via the old OXP list and my usual box.net address.
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

Could we get more descriptions of what your oxp provides? I'd personally like to see what it might provide in comparison to the armour oxp and the missiles and bombs oxp.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Falcon777 wrote:
Could we get more descriptions of what your oxp provides? I'd personally like to see what it might provide in comparison to the armour oxp and the missiles and bombs oxp.
Certainly. The description provided by the in-game expansion pack manager says:
Provides various multi-warhead, semi-automatically-targetting, missiles. Available for purchase in various locations.
Perhaps though it is precisely this that you would like more than. So :-
  • The expansion pack provides various types of so-called 'Nexus' missiles, namely (1) the 'basic' version, (2) the 'premium' version, (3) the 'ultimate' version, and (4) the 'Bug-Off' anti-Thargoid missile. (And the Bug-Off version sometimes comes in a possibly faulty 'naval reject' variety. . .)

Each type of missile is launched in the normal way, i.e. it sits in a pylon, is armed, then targeted, and then launched.

Each of the types of nexus missile splits into multiple warheads once it reaches a certain distance from its target and, again in the case of every version of the missile, these warheads pick targets automatically. In the case of the Bug-Off missile, the targets are determined by type of ship: this missile is for use against Thargoids! In the case of all the other types of Nexus missile, a warhead will target a ship if it was the original target of the missile or if it is hostile to (has weapons locked on) the ship that launched the missile.

The number of warheads released, their speed, the amount of damage they can take, their degree of ECM-resistance, and how much damage they deal - all this varies from the 'basic' version to the 'premium' version to the 'ultimate'. When you find an instance of one of the versions in a shipyard you can get a description of it. In short, though: the basic version should get two or three attackers off your back for a while and perhaps destroy them if they are damaged already. The premium version does that, but a bit more so. The ultimate version becomes four warheads (all the others become three, except the Bug-Off version which becomes five) and those warheads are very fast and each does more damage than a normal missile - often much more damage, because of the speed. That version - the 'ultimate' version - is a fairly deadly weapon. Consequently it is very expensive.
When deciding on the prices of the missiles I did look at the Armoury and Missiles and Bombs OXPs. I couldn't easily tell you, though, what the most effective weapon out of all these is, or the most cost-effective. That is partly because the Nexus missiles are rather different to any of the other missiles in those packs, with the exception of the (is it Missiles and Bombs?) Anti-Thargoid missile. And / however, the Nexus anti-Thargoid missile is, I think, better against Thargoids than that one - but it is also (unless you get the naval reject version) slightly more expensive.

EDITED to fix a word.
Last edited by UK_Eliter on Mon May 31, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

UK_Eliter wrote:
The ultimate version becomes four warheads (all the others become three, except the Bug-Off version which becomes five) and those warheads are very fast and each does more damage than a normal missile - often much more damage, because of the speed. That version - the 'ultimate' version - is a fairly deadly weapon. Consequently it is very expensive.[/list]
And as I discovered, a single Nexus 'ultimate' is even capable of destroying a Kiota Station.. four high-speed, high-yield warheads can do a LOT of damage when they all impact the same object! :lol: :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

Thanks! Now I know I want to download that oxp. :)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: OXP UPDATE (but initial thread seems absent): Nexus missile

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page now up! http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Nexus_Missile

Can someone please check that the prices & TL's are correctly interpreted? Pretty please? ...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP UPDATE (but initial thread seems absent): Nexus missile

Post by UK_Eliter »

@Cholmondely: Thank you for your work! And the TLs and prices seem right to me. (I compare them to the equipment.plist file, making the necessary adjustments) . . However, I think that the spacing in the 'Varieties' section could be improved - by ensuring a line of space between every entry.

@Falcon777, Diziet Sma: It's nice too see my missiles getting some appreciation! However, and as is true of a great deal of Oolite equipment: these weapons are not really price-effective! That is: bounties, cargo, and the like are unlikely to recoup the cost of these missiles. On the other hand, at least one's repair bill might be lower!