Five (5) Variable Crosshairs OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Five (5) Variable Crosshairs OXPs

Post by Wildeblood »

Auto Crosshairs OXP ver. 1.1.1
Date: October 6th, 2014
Author: Wildeblood

Adds an equipment item which changes the way the gun-sight cross-hairs behave in Oolite. In standard Oolite the cross-hairs are static, and only differ in appearance depending on the type of weapons installed. Once the equipment (the Wildefire Systems Type 4 Gunsight) is purchased, the cross-hairs change shape to alert the pilot to the precise moment a target is centred. Please use responsibly - Wildefire Systems does not endorse or condone hostility between spacefarers.

The equipment can be bought at space ports with a technological level of 11 or above, for 1750 credits. No configuration is needed or normally possible. For players who can't resist tinkering inside OXPs, there is a parameter at the top of the javascript file (this.$precision = 2; // Whole number 1-5), you could experiment with.
Laser-ific Crosshairs OXP ver. 1.3
Date: October 6th, 2014

Adds a circular dial showing the laser heat level around the central cross-hairs. Compatible with most HUDs.
Shield-tastic Crosshairs OXP ver. 1.0
Date: October 8th, 2014

Adds two semi-circular indicators, showing the state of the shields, around the central cross-hairs. Compatible with most HUDs.
Alerting Crosshairs OXP ver. 1.0
Date: May 16th, 2013

Changes the way the gun-sight cross-hairs behave in Oolite. In standard Oolite the cross-hairs change appearance depending on the type of weapons installed. With this OXP installed the cross-hairs instead change depending on the current alert level. At green alert only a minimal centre-mark is shown. When other ships are in the vicinity the larger four-vaned cross-hair, previously associated with the pulse laser, appears. In combat situations the more complex cross-hair, previously associated with the military laser, appears.

The mining laser continues to have its distinctive gun-sight associated with it.

When the advanced space compass is set to its target tracking mode the combat cross-hairs appear, regardless of the current alert level.

No configuration is needed or possible.
Select-o-matic Crosshairs OXP ver. 1.0
Date: May 20th, 2013

Changes the way the gun-sight cross-hairs behave in Oolite. In standard Oolite the cross-hairs are static, and only differ in appearance depending on the type of weapons installed. With this OXP installed, the player can select the style of cross-hairs they want to use, regardless of which weapon type is in use, and change their selection as often as they wish to.

Place the Select-o-matic Crosshairs OXP into your "AddOns" folder. While in flight, select the item "Cross-hairs Selector" on the equipment menu (by pressing "N"). Then cycle through the range of available choices (press "n" or "b" for next or back) until the desired style appears. Only usable with Oolite 1.77 or later.
Older versions, in OXP form:-
Download Alerting Crosshairs OXP here.

Installing this OXP gives Oolite an immediate 300% increase in encoolment and niftiosity. Compatible with any HUD.

Download Auto Crosshairs OXP here.

Installing this OXP offers Oolite an alternative 200% increase in encoolment and niftiosity. Compatible with any HUD.

Download Select-o-matic Crosshairs OXP here.

Installing this OXP offers Oolite an alternative 300% increase in encoolment and 150% increase in niftiosity. Compatible with any HUD.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:53 am, edited 11 times in total.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Alerting Crosshairs OXP

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very cool idea! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

Does this mean you could effectively have a targeting assist crosshair so it would change colour when you are lined up with your target?

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

maaarcooose wrote:
Does this mean you could effectively have a targeting assist crosshair so it would change colour when you are lined up with your target?
The cross-hair colour is set in the hud.plist file, not the crosshairs.plist file. So you've been able to do that for several years now, since the devs made it possible to switch the HUD file from a script. I don't know how smooth switching either the cross-hair or HUD files frame-by-frame would be (I wouldn't try it). But if you want to try it, there's an example of the necessary frame callback script, you could easily adapt, here:-

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Wide-S ... rget_Radar
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
maaarcooose wrote:
The cross-hair colour is set in the hud.plist file, not the crosshairs.plist file. So you've been able to do that for several years now...
Many HUDs (including my Combat HUD) already use a similar feature. Any HUD can be adapted to use this. Open the hud.plist and (for the default HUD at least) go to the second-to-bottom line.

Code: Select all

reticle_target_sensitive = no;
Just change the 'no' to 'yes'.

Edited to add:- This will change the colour of the targeting reticle box, but not the actual crosshairs. While this gives a 100% increase in encoolment and niftiosity, Wildeblood's colour changing crosshairs obviously go 200% further :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Auto Crosshairs OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

Wildeblood wrote:
I don't know how smooth switching either the cross-hair or HUD files frame-by-frame would be (I wouldn't try it).
In fact, curiosity got the better of me, and I did try it. The result isn't too shabby. The Auto Crosshairs OXP changes the shape of the cross-hairs the moment the target is exactly centred. This works independently of the colour-changing reticle Smivs mentioned, but you can see both effects together in these images.

Off target:-

On target:-

I tried this out in combat and it's surprisingly good. Because the target reticle and the auto cross-hairs use different calculations to decide when the target is centred, they don't both change at the same moment. Sometimes the reticle changes colour first, and sometimes the cross-hairs change shape first, but when they've both changed you can be fairly sure of a direct hit. Very recommended. :D
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Auto Crosshairs OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

My apology to the two people who earlier today downloaded Auto Crosshairs OXP version 1.0.3 which contained a careless bug. Please try version 1.0.4, which fixes that and also introduces a new, more highly visible design for the on-target cross-hairs.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Three (3) Variable Crosshairs OXPs

Post by Diziet Sma »

Is it possible to use a combination of any two (or all) of the 3 OXPs to get the set of features one would like to have?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Is it possible to use a combination of any two (or all) of the 3 OXPs to get the set of features one would like to have?
The combination which does not work is selectable cross-hairs with alerting cross-hairs. The Auto Crosshairs OXP works with either of the others.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

This OXP is a nice idea. However, on my system (and my ship has turrets, if that makes any difference - and I've set reticle_target_sensitive to 'yes' in Oolite's settings) the sight gets stuck in 'centred' mode, i.e. it changes as it should when I get something in my my sights and then . . stays that way, until I target something else.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

What's the difference between the 3? I'm afraid I didn't get it...
COMANDERCRUSET
Poor
Poor

Post by COMANDERCRUSET »

Hi all.
Yes, it is a great idea and very cool (autocrosshairs.oxp), but I had to uninstall ...
It also stucks. It works fine until the first ship is destroyed, then it is always stuck as if there were a ship centred.
Any solution?
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Is it possible to get round crosshairs with Select-o-matic?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Zireael wrote:
Is it possible to get round crosshairs with Select-o-matic?
No. That version only had the familiar four, IIRC. I had a version 2.0 with my own crosshair designs as well, which is now lost. But they were all quite traditional. Captain Beatnik has created many original crosshair files, you should ask him.

Hmm. Are there any more experiences like COMANDERCRUSET and UK_Eliter reported above with Auto-Crosshairs?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Darn.. after my enquiry about mix'n'matching them over a year ago, I totally forgot to download them.. many thanks for the reminder.. and many thanks for coming up with them, Wildeblood! 8)