[Release] Satellites OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] Satellites OXP

Post by Rorschachhamster »

Download from my box account:
The Satellite OXP 1.051

EDIT: And thanks to Eric Walch this should even work now... :oops:

EDIT: Should now check for missing main planet in nova systems and not log errors. Untested... :oops:

EDIT: Surveillance satellites now (with 1.04) fulfill a police role as far as watching and giving out fines go.

It does what it says on the can. It adds a not totally random number of 4 different satellites to each main planet's orbit. I'll repost the sneak peak here:

Many thanks to Eric Walch for his code/ai-combo to get them into orbit, I could dumb it down enough for me to work (with). :wink:

The satellites have a custom ANC symbol:
If you feel your ANC gets too clustered with satellites you could just delete the following line from the shipdata.plist:

Code: Select all

"beacon" = "Satellite_location";
Be sure to delete it four times, for every satellite type there is.

At the moment they can be shot at with leisure, there is no one complaining, not even GalCops. :wink: It's on the list. :D
Last edited by Rorschachhamster on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [Release] Satellites OXP

Post by Smivs »

Very nice and it is good to see more orbital 'clutter' as I always felt there should be loads more stuff around the main planet. Are these four different types of satellite? If so, what are the oher three like?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Smivs wrote:
Very nice and it is good to see more orbital 'clutter' as I always felt there should be loads more stuff around the main planet. Are these four different types of satellite? If so, what are the oher three like?
2 ordinary ones with dishes and a "surveillance one"... -wich isn't that special, too, because they look all rather alike. But it has 4 different models with handcrafted textures. 8)
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ok, I made some screenshots. Damned satellites didn't want hold still... :D
Hope you'll like it.
:D
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Yay! More target practise stations that I promise not blow up... :twisted:

But seriously looks good will download later! 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Just one warning: Make the names more unique. e.g. "SateliteAI.plist" could exist in another oxp. And becauce there can only be one, the last loaded wins. Same for textures, those also need more unique names.

One hint for the script:

Instead if giving this.shipWillLaunchFromStation the same content as this.shipWillExitWitchspace (with the added count), you could use:

this.shipWillLaunchFromStation = function ()
{
    this.shipWillExitWitchspace();
    delete this.shipWillLaunchFromStation;
}
It will do the same and saves the work of every time editing at two places when you make changes in the script.

In the current form, 4 new satelites will be added on launch when you had shot down all 4 of them. :lol:

I already found 2 of them. Nice looking and a good orbit speed. I see the problem of making live pictures. :)

And about scan class. Instead of defining them as rock, I would use:

scan_class = "CLASS_CARGO";
"cargo_type" = "CARGO_NOT_CARGO";
Not that any player would notice the difference but some scripts might scan rocks and cargo seems better. The second line makes sure you can't scoop it as cargo.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thanks, I'll do that. :D

EDIT:Reuploaded, added "RS" in front of circa everything, and corrected the demoship.plist. :oops: :mrgreen:

EDIT2: ..and again. :oops: Copy and paste... :oops: :oops: :lol:

EDIT3: and this model.dats don't rewrite by their own. :roll: At least nobody downloaded in between this... :oops:
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

These look great.

Well done with this OXP.

I really liked the style of your models and texturing by the way.
Last edited by Shipbuilder on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Awesome concept -- excellent eye-candy right where it should be.

You could even convert this to work with OXPConfig on whether these are track-able by their beacon symbol.

If you haven't already, please make the satellites slow enough that an Anaconda isn't badly outpaced by one. It's embarrassing enough getting outrun by other ships, by an object in a "freefall" orbit (minimal orbital thrusters used) - Outrageous! :oops:
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

Agreed, great oxp, but slow em down, or allow some in geo-stationary orbit.... like those spy sats ;)
No, I'm not a Trumble... that's a speciest and offensive remark!
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

First: Thanks! :oops:

@shipbuilder: The textures are really easy... but I have to get new akkus for my digicam and get new shots as soon as the sun is shining again (or at least bright enough behind the clouds)... helps if you've got a (smallish, but still) port just before your front door. I wrote it on the screenshot thread, but I repeat it here: The blue part of the... let's call it hubble-alike... was made with my webcam and the fretboard of my bass guitar. :D :wink: Oh, and the foil was silver and wrapped around delicious chocolate. 8)

Regarding slowing them down, I felt that they should orbit rather fast - so you would see them sometimes passing by. *shrug* You could adjust the max speed in the shipdata.plist, the AI puts them randomly at full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 of that value...

And I have to look at how I could use OXPConfig to get anything done. :D :wink: But if it's possible, maybe the speed could be adjusted, either. 8)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yay! A much-needed item has finally been added to the Ooniverse! Thanks! 8)
Switeck wrote:
please make the satellites slow enough that an Anaconda isn't badly outpaced by one. It's embarrassing enough getting outrun by other ships, by an object in a "freefall" orbit (minimal orbital thrusters used) - Outrageous! :oops:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Great idea. Downloaded.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Yum!

Seriously, with this speed of OXPs being released, Oolite is soon going to be the most superior spacesims ever.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

JeX wrote:
Seriously, with this speed of OXPs being released, Oolite is soon going to be the most superior spacesims ever.
I thought it already was? 8)
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4