[WIP] Station Bulletins v0.11

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Massively Locked »

I've been trying to sign-up/upload a file with 3 different services and got nowhere. I hate to ask this but would anyone be willing to host my little file (truly- it's only about 11K)?
Last edited by Massively Locked on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Re: Requesting a host for my file

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Check your PM's. Account and space created.
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Here we go: my first OXP. Trust me, no one is more surprised than I. :o

Station Bulletins v0.11
This is currently a WIP (mainly a 'work', not too sure about the 'in-progress' part)

On docking with any station, there may be some station bulletins to read via the Ship-Systems Interface (F4) screen. Note that this OXP does not affect game play at all. There are no missions to start, no actions to take, no events to see. This is purely "flavoring". It's eye-candy, Infocom-style. Also, I don't have that many bulletins written at the moment, so sooner or later you'll see some repeats.

This requires Oolite v1.77

http://www.deephorizonindustries.com/ma ... IP0.11.zip

Much thanks to Cmd. Cheyd for giving my file a home. :D

So let me know if it works or not (esp. on Macs & Linux), and whether or not I should stick to my day job (that, of course, being plying the lanes with my cargo hold full).

Edit: updated link to v0.11
Last edited by Massively Locked on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [WIP] Station Bulletins v0.1

Post by Smivs »

Ha, well done on your first OXP, and welcome to the Dark Side. Have a cookie :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Good thing we recently made a bulk order of cookies.. we seem to be going through them like hotcakes, of late.. :lol:

Congrats, Massively Locked!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Nice idea for an OXP.

I get this in the log when selecting it from F4 (and then it doesn't work)

Code: Select all

20:19:07.577 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (Station Bulletins WIP 0.1): TypeError: expandMissionText(BID, $Tokens) is null
20:19:07.577 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/cim/.Oolite/AddOns/StnBulletins-WIP0.1.oxp/Config/script.js, line 54.
The problem is that your Missiontext.plist file needs to be called missiontext.plist to be read on case-sensitive file systems as generally used on Mac/Linux
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: [WIP] Station Bulletins v0.11

cim wrote:
The problem is that your Missiontext.plist file needs to be called missiontext.plist to be read on case-sensitive file systems as generally used on Mac/Linux
Ah- thanks! Off to fix that right now & will re-post.

Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

This oxp now has a wiki page here

NB: I get the following error message in my latest log (AppleMac, Oolite v.1.90):

Code: Select all

22:20:54.281 [plist.parse.failed] OOPropertyListFromData (OOPListParsing.m:72): Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/StnBulletins-WIP0.11.oxp/requires.plist as a property list.
22:20:55.924 [plist.parse.failed] OOPropertyListFromData (OOPListParsing.m:72): Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/AddOns/StnBulletins-WIP0.11.oxp/requires.plist as a property list.
The .oxp does load, so I presume that this is now irrelevant...

And if you plan on updating it, you might care to sneak a peek at the current organisation of the F4 screen and make sure that you are happy with the category/section heading...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Nice!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

Cholmondely-

Ha! I had all but forgotten about this until I started looking thru my old posts. I'm still amazed that I was able to put this together. I wasn't sure if this still existed out there in the wild. I should go back and take a look at---

Hey, wait. What are you doing? Are you offering me that entire bowl of cookies? Is that it?

NO! NO, I WON'T!! I'm not going back! I've been clean for many years now! I've straightened my life out & I'm making an honest living flying furs to Diso & computers to Leesti. I'm not jeopardizing that. I'm not going back to those bad old days & YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!!!!!!!!

Well, maybe one cookie... Can't hurt, right?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I'd be happy to try and come up with some more ideas for your station broadcasts.

You might also care to sneak a peek at this: Life In The Frontier - Revival OXP

I've taken a wild guess and categorised your .oxp as one of the Ambience variety. It is now listed on the Guide to Unlisted OXPs under that category.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Massively Locked
Dangerous
Dangerous

I may take you up on your offer, but I really need to look thru what I made here. I'm not sure if there's any need to continue with this since there are so many great add-ons available now. I'm currently refamilarizing myself with GNN. phkb's BBS is on my list of to-install-soon. Life on the Frontier looks really interesting too.

And yes, my add-on definitely falls into the Ambience category.

Thanks for breathing new life into my little oxp.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Massively Locked wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:16 pm
... phkb's BBS is on my list of to-install-soon.
His [EliteWiki] Home System is worth having too - and while I'm at it, have some eye-candy.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!