[WIP] Ship's Accountant 0.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Walbrigg
Competent
Competent

[WIP] Ship's Accountant 0.1

Post by Walbrigg »

This is a pre-release of my Ship's Accountant OXP. It tracks profit and losses through the game, and provides summary reports (when docked) via station interfaces (F4).

I wouldn't really advise adding it to your normal play as yet: if I make any changes to the persisted data format, then it will get confused. Once I have a proper release, I'll aim to keep that stable. But you can try it out and see if it looks at all useful.

From the readme:

This is the Ship's Accountant - the indispensible tool for anyone who seeks to make a profit in space. What you can't measure, you can't manage.

There is some overlap of function with other add-ons, for example the AI Trading Assistant, but the purpose is distinct. The aim is not to guide your business at the tactical level answering questions like "what cargo should I buy for a run to the next system?" Rather the Ship's Accountant guides your business strategy: answering questions like "Am I making as much profit in this part of the sector as I did 10 days ago in another part? Am I making more profit by trading, or by fighting? Does a long passenger run make more profit than just carrying cargo around?"

The accountant tracks profit and loss. Trading profit is accrued when you hyperspace into a system where your cargo is worth more. Bounties and scooped cargo are counted as profit immediately. Shifting assets from one form to another -- cash to ship's equipment, cargo to cash -- does not count immediately as profit or loss.

Development Notes

This is an early pre-release version, with known limitations:
  • * Presentation needs work: better tables and a background image
    * More choice of reports, including a straight ledger view
    * No support for handling buying a new ship or using an escape capsule
    * Not sure about doing business at non-main stations
    * Not tested in interstellar space
    * Bugs. I would be surprised if there weren't a few.
It should not be used in your main game in this state, it's provided
for evaluation purposes only.

Other possible future enhancements:
  • * Tool to examine the ledger & reports outside oolite by extracting
    from log file or save files
    * Ability to manually annotate adjustments to show their cause
    * Integration with other OXPs (Black Monks a priority)
Version History
0.01 3rd February 2013 first WIP release

Screenshots: http://walbrigg.tumblr.com/post/4221999 ... 1-of-ships
Zip download from Box: https://www.box.com/s/2wigkl3z47z4818wha3q
Shar download from tumblr: http://walbrigg.tumblr.com/post/4222112 ... untant-oxp

(If you remember 8-bit elite, you might remember shar distribution... It's what you might call an experiment: I was observing that actually sharing files was getting as difficult as in the usenet days, so I attempted a usenet solution.
I think it might work, but only because there's (as yet) no graphics or other media in the OXP. I can't see being able to post megabytes of uuencoded binaries as a tumblr post).
ozhank
Competent
Competent

Re: [WIP] Ship's Accountant 0.1

Post by ozhank »

Looking good - it's something I've been looking for as I have trouble working out profitable routes. It will be of great assistance.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let the light shine in". Spike Milligan

Debian 9.* XFCE4 on Toshiba Laptop
Walbrigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Walbrigg »

One thing I forgot to mention...

As it stands adding the OXP adds the Ship's Accountant functionality. I think it's maybe more normal for stuff like this to be installable equipment. Is that right? Probably another change to make before version 1
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hmm.. purchased equipment, or standard-issue ship's software? I could go either way on that one.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Walbrigg wrote:
This is a pre-release of my Ship's Accountant OXP. It tracks profit and losses through the game, and provides summary reports (when docked) via station interfaces (F4).
Something is buggy in your mission screen handling, but since they've always mystified me I can't offer any insight, just a description: I start a game, view one of the interface screens such as Trading Assistant or Trophy Collection, when I exit that screen I get one of your report screens appear as if I had just left the first Ship's Accountant screen. It only happens the first time I view one such screen, after that they behave normally; that hints at a variable not initialized perhaps.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Walbrigg wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:24 pm
Added to the Brilliant but Broken wiki page

Edited to add:

Wiki page now up: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Ship% ... untant_OXP
Last edited by Cholmondely on Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Some pretty pictures (if you are an accountant!)

Note how new OXP commodities (Quirium Crystal) are seamlessly incorporated!

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?