[WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.5

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.5

Post by timer »

Hi, I am pleased to present my modest new OXP in the field of fuel supply :)

Additional fuel tank (3LY) with duplex interaction with main tank. Improved technology allows not only to pump the fuel in the main tank, but also to make the opposite action, for example, in skimming process. The Duplex Fuel Tank takes 8t of cargo space. It is excellent purchase for fans of long journeys — at now, You always can refuel ALL your tanks by Sun skimming or gutted fuel tank of unlucky pirate (with remarkable OXP Fuel Collector).

You can also fill the additional tank on the F3 equipment screen, 7.5 Cr / 1LY

Price: 62000 Cr
TL: 12

Requires equipment: Fuel Scoops

Use keys: shift+n for select the DFT as prime equipment, than b for pump fuel from main tank to additional and n for pump fuel from DFT to main tank.

Enjoy ;)

PS Only for 1.77, in 1.76 button b not working.

Wiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/DuplexFuelTank_OXP
Download via the Addons manager or directly at http://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/1/1 ... elTank.oxz

PPS BIG thanks to Smivs and his OXP ExtraFuelTanks ;)
Last edited by timer on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Cobra MK III owner since 1994
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.1

Post by timer »

I am not sure about price, weight (3t in cargo space) and texts :D

Any suggestions - welcome.
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

Good idea, great piece of equipment, an instant 'must have' in my collection. :)

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Sounds great, well thought out and balanced. Price tag is good as it's a little too handy :) Will it be breakable too? Or more likely I suppose considering what it contains to 'lock-up' with protective nano-gels upon damage, with a charge to have it reset?
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.2

Post by timer »

ZygoUgo wrote:
Will it be breakable too? Or more likely I suppose considering what it contains to 'lock-up' with protective nano-gels upon damage, with a charge to have it reset?
Hi, currently damage is excluded, I figured that the equipment weight is include the weight of its good protection ;)

The very essence of the device involves a long stay outside the stations - the device must be very reliable and does not require maintenance.

But if you need it - I can try to add a bit of realism, for example, the need for periodic maintenance on the docks, but we already have a regular maintenance ship ... can we assume that it is in it? ;)

By the way, can anyone suppose the weight of fuel per 1 LY ? :) maybe 3t for 6LY is too few?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.2

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sounds like the kind of thing my bounty-hunter would like.. long jumps make him nervous.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JeX
Competent
Competent

Re: [WIP] Duplex Fuel Tank v0.3

Post by JeX »

My two cents on this:

Smivs already developed extra fuel tanks that can be found here:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/ExtraFuelTanks

These fuel tanks work a little different than yours in terms of price, which I find well balanced.
The small version (1 LY) costs 10.000 while the larger version (3 LY) costs a whooping 50.000!

I find this pricing accurate as having extra fuel really makes you flexible and even skews the game play quite a bit. I have yet to afford the 3 LY tank as I have other priorities with my slow cargo hauler Python atm.
Though it does make your pricing of only 7700 credits for a sun skimming refuelable tank seem quite low in contrast. With an extra 6 LY of fuel I would basically never ever fear going into an Anarchy system ever again. Just load up those injectors and I can basically inject myself to the main station!

So my suggestion would be to make these expensive, really expensive, like in 100.000 credits range and then maybe make them ONLY refuelable by sunskimming (they could be said to be linked to a Fuel Scoop).
I know it may seem expensive but having 6 LY of extra fuel completely skews the gameplay. Thus it seems like an upper end piece of equipment that only the rich haulers or the professional bounty hunters have been able to afford.

Of course, it's your OXP and anyone can feel free to use it if they want. Though I would personally refrain from using it with those initial requirements :)

End of my two cents.

PS: keep in mind that I also play using the Broken Adder startup choice and have also increased prices of all lasers by x 10, so this is from a player who enjoys a challenge and working for my equipment to feel a sense of accomplishment.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

JeX wrote:
Yes - I know - I realized what I was missing in that OXP.
JeX wrote:
Though I would personally refrain from using it with those initial requirements :)
Ok, OXP not in release this topic created for discussion ;)
Can you test this OXP with "those initial requirements"?
And than we can:
1) rise the price
2) rise the weight
3) decrease fuel volume
4) set requires for Fuel Scoops (I like this idea)

tiny update to 0.3

improve behavior and message text in the case when the main tank has less than 1LY free space - "some fuel will be lost".
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

timer wrote:
JeX wrote:
Yes - I know - I realized what I was missing in that OXP.
JeX wrote:
Though I would personally refrain from using it with those initial requirements :)
Ok, OXP not in release this topic created for discussion ;)
Can you test this OXP with "those initial requirements"?
And than we can:
1) rise the price
2) rise the weight
3) decrease fuel volume
4) set requires for Fuel Scoops (I like this idea)

tiny update to 0.3

improve behavior and message text in the case when the main tank has less than 1LY free space - "some fuel will be lost".
I can most certainly try and test it with the initial reqs, then I can also see if my hypothesis about gameplay skewing holds true :)

Good work btw.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

JeX wrote:
I can also see if my hypothesis about gameplay skewing holds true
certainly +6LY makes life much easier :lol:
JeX wrote:
Good work btw.
Thanks ;)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Nice idea Timer :D
As has been mentioned though it is a bit of a game-changer and this does need to be reflected somehow, probably by making them horrendously expensive. :twisted:
When I was developing the ExtraFuelTanks I actually started with just the 1LY reserve tank as I (and a couple of my testers) thought the 3LY Auxiliary tanks were a bit too much. However, I had to accept that some would like the bigger tanks so I did eventually decide to include them, but at what looks like a disproportionately higher price.

On another note, it is interesting to see how the extra fuel options have increased as the game and its features have grown. The first option was Ramirez' pylon-mounted Fuel Tanks using probably the only method available to OXP-ers at the time. Mine were developed after the primeable equipment feature was added to the game, and now you have taken it even further by using the 'two-key' feature. It makes you wonder what will be next!

:( Having just spent a few days 'sabotaging' all the extra fuel options to fix a 'problem' with Xeptatl's Sword as part of my on-going update, I've now got to sabotage these as well! :lol:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Hi Smivs, thanks for reply :)

Of course I looked at your ExtraFuelTanks, when I did my OXP :)
I was uncomfortable when I could not refill the existing additional tank from main after skimming :(

Now I understand, that current DFT version makes life too easy and change game-play.

Maybe we can combine existing OXPs and crete "extra-fuel-equipment pack"?
for example:
1) reserve tank: 1LY 10000Cr 2t (half duplex)
2) reserve tank: 1LY 17000Cr 3t (full duplex) requires FuelScoops
3) aux tank: 3LY 50000Cr 6t (half duplex)
4) aux tank: 4LY 75000Cr 8t (full duplex) requires FuelScoops
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
... I actually started with just the 1LY reserve tank as I (and a couple of my testers) thought the 3LY Auxiliary tanks were a bit too much.
I seem to recall it was 0.5ly originally... or that's how I have my customised version, anyway.

A 6ly reserve is of course a game-changer, especially if it's refill-able by scooping... and not liable to damage, yes?
But as has been said, it is your OXP, your decision... and many people will like it, I'm sure.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

El Viejo wrote:
A 6ly reserve is of course a game-changer, especially if it's refill-able by scooping... and not liable to damage, yes?
But as has been said, it is your OXP, your decision... and many people will like it, I'm sure.
I think the final version will not be 6LY
I have no desire to do cheat OXP ;)
Can you suggest final version values?
What about values in this post?
Cody

Post by Cody »

timer wrote:
Can you suggest final version values?
The revised numbers above are much better... it needs to be expensive (especially if it cannot be damaged), in my opinion (which is of course, very subjective).
As for actual numbers, I am not really qualified to judge/set those.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!