[Release] Start Choices

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices

Post by spara »

It's hard core indeed. With mining start I heartily recommend WildShips. It adds quite a few stations to sell in Zaonce. I usually start with the hermit on witchpoint planet lane. When that one is full, I buy all precious things I can and if the hold is not full, mine it to full and fly to the main station. Then to the Kiota habitat. Then to the hermit on planet sun lane and so on. First thing to buy are the injectors, then the ore processor. After that, when the system is out of selling possibilities, it's time to change system.
diagoras
Competent
Competent

Post by diagoras »

Norby wrote:
Thanks for the report, I fixed it now. Alternative customers buy your excess cargo only, so you must hold more than the free space in the current market.
Thank you - looks like it appears every time now. But problem with doing nothing still persists. Are you sure SellAll takes into account that market limit can be lower then 127? For example in my case Rock Hermit market stops buying minerals from me when 31 in stock.
Norby wrote:
[wiki]TorusToSun[/wiki] can help to reach other planets faster.
Installed and first thing in plans to buy when enough money farmed :-)
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

diagoras wrote:
Rock Hermit market stops buying minerals from me when 31 in stock.
Thanks again, should be fixed in SellAll v1.28.
diagoras
Competent
Competent

Post by diagoras »

Norby wrote:
Works like charm now, thank you! Though, I feel like cheating a bit - even with the prices it pays. Maybe I should code some OXP myself, something better representing spirit of mining operations at the frontier.

What would you people say about Rock Hermit-specific "Mining Contracts"? Elite universe suggests that corporations are mining minerals and alloys in asteroid fields on very big scale. But sometimes this corporations may need short-term outside worker to swiftly fill that shortage before next huge freighter departs. In such case they may place open contract for anyone with mining laser and scoop, paying below-market price for digging fixed amount of minerals or alloys before some date. Not meeting contract terms in time would result in deducting penalties from reward or even putting you in debt resold to Black Monks if shortage is big.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Nice idea. I think there is probably a mix of corporate and independent miners so no reason why mining contracts shouldn't work.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

So in essence it would be an extension to the market allowing you to sell more minerals than is possible to the commodities market for lower price. I like it :D . These could be just in-system contracts with deadlines of hours. Not too tight deadlines though, mining is a form of relaxation and not to be spoiled with rushing.
diagoras
Competent
Competent

Post by diagoras »

spara wrote:
So in essence it would be an extension to the market allowing you to sell more minerals than is possible to the commodities market for lower price. I like it :D . These could be just in-system contracts with deadlines of hours. Not too tight deadlines though, mining is a form of relaxation and not to be spoiled with rushing.
Yes, exactly - in-system contracts with deadlines of hours. About tightness of deadlines, I think it would be interesting if there is different randomized contracts on board - some with relaxing time limits but lower reward per ton, some with more strict schedule but higher pay.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

diagoras wrote:
Norby wrote:
What would you people say about Rock Hermit-specific "Mining Contracts"? Elite universe suggests that corporations are mining minerals and alloys in asteroid fields on very big scale. But sometimes this corporations may need short-term outside worker to swiftly fill that shortage before next huge freighter departs. In such case they may place open contract for anyone with mining laser and scoop, paying below-market price for digging fixed amount of minerals or alloys before some date. Not meeting contract terms in time would result in deducting penalties from reward or even putting you in debt resold to Black Monks if shortage is big.
So, they pay less than usual for a big amount and you even have to pay them back if you are not fast enough? That doesn't make sense... "Well, I could agree to your terms... or I could just sell it at my usual gig... for more. Without pressure. Or fines." :wink:
diagoras
Competent
Competent

Post by diagoras »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
So, they pay less than usual for a big amount and you even have to pay them back if you are not fast enough? That doesn't make sense... "Well, I could agree to your terms... or I could just sell it at my usual gig... for more. Without pressure. Or fines." :wink:
Well, I really feel that using SellAll for selling minerals on Rock Hermit is sort of cheating. I want to make miner start smoother, but not that smooth ;-)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

New version (1.8 ) is up.

* Mining Transporter gets witchdrive fuel injectors as a starting equipment. This in combination with Asteroid Tweaks and Mining Contracts makes the mining career a fully viable start option.
Taryk
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Taryk »

For some reason, this addon is not showing up on my in-game addon list. I updated it multiple times, still nothing. Anyone got an OXP download?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Just tested and it installs/works okay here - something amiss at your end, perhaps? It won't be listed in your AddOns folder, btw - it'll be in ~:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns if it has been installed via the in-game manager.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Taryk wrote:
this addon is not showing up on my in-game addon list.
Welcome Taryk in this forum!

In your expansion manager you get "Station Dock Control" right after "Smugglers"?
I see Start Choices between these in the Mechanics category:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A new version (1.8.1)

* Fixes the 3tn cargo expansion for Adder to work with Griff's normalmapped Adders bought from ship shop.
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

How would one modify this OXP to start the game with an arbitrary (possibly OXP) <ship> ?
Would it suffice to create a savegame using the debug console and reference it in scenarios.plist ?
How were the existing saves in Scenarios/* created ?
This could be a section on this OXP's wiki page "How to start the game with your desired <ship>".
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning