[Release] Start Choices

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] Start Choices

Post by spara »

When starting a new game, this oxp gives you some start-up choices of various difficulty.

Download from [EliteWiki] the wiki
Last edited by spara on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Start Choices oxp 0.1

Post by Switeck »

That seems an awesome way to start the game.

Keep in mind that my savegame the "broke" Adder also has no missile or heat shielding.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Switeck wrote:
That seems an awesome way to start the game.

Keep in mind that my savegame the "broke" Adder also has no missile or heat shielding.
Ah. You're right, I overlooked those. Have to remove them.

I enjoy very much starting the game with "broke" Adder. At first the only option is to go blasting some asteroids. Then, when you have about 10 credits, you can buy something and start trading with that cargo hold of 2 :D. Then finally you can upgrade your hold to 5 and do some "serious" trading. Just love it :mrgreen:.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Can you start in different systems or charts, or only with different ships? If not, scripting seems an inferior solution than a selection of save-game files.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Wildeblood wrote:
Can you start in different systems or charts, or only with different ships?
Don't think that's possible with the present version of Oolite.
Wildeblood wrote:
If not, scripting seems an inferior solution than a selection of save-game files.
You're right about that with savefiles you can set the start system, amongst other things. However, from the user experience side, I find this solution nicer. As a personal preference, I actually only want to change the ship when I start a new game.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Wildeblood wrote:
Can you start in different systems or charts, or only with different ships? If not, scripting seems an inferior solution than a selection of save-game files.
It is possible to modify the source code to reach this kind of option, although instead of reading savegames I had the code read a starting-players.plist file in the Config folder. This made it like Frontier, where you could press 1, 2 or 3 instead of Space at the beginning of a new game to select different starting settings (ship, position, money, legal status). However as was stated before, I do not believe changing the start position with existing scripting commands is achievable... :(

But to be honest this is is an excellent OXP taking full advantage of what is available with the current code and scripting abilities. Good job spara! :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP] Start Choices oxp 0.2

Post by spara »

New version (0.2) is up.

* Added spinning ships, text and sub screens for choices.
* Remover missiles and heat shielding from Adder Broke start
* Removed easy start

Could someone english speaking friendly soul :D read the text I have written and correct the errors for me. After that I will up the version to 1.0 and make a release.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Corrected English (and took some artistic liberties in changing some of the wording):
:)

I have copy/pasted it directly from the code, so that's why there's still some "\" left.

Welcome greeting:

Code: Select all

"Greetings Commander. You are about to start your new career of space flight, combat and trading starting from the space station orbiting the planet Lave. Before embarking you will need to select a starting ship.\n\nBelow are options ranging from the 'Classic' Oolite Start to the more challenging 'Broke Adder' Start. You can examine the choices in detail by selecting them before making your final decision.\n\nAfter having made your choice, go to options and choose your name by saving the game."
Cobra MK 3:

"The most successful medium-size ship ever built and a versatile fighter/trader ship.\"
Cobra MK 1:

"The first truly effective solo fighter/trader ship, but now superceded by the Mk III.\"
Adder Hard start:

"An agile and compact ship favored by couriers, customizers and professional racers.\"
Adder Harder Start:

"An agile and compact ship favored by couriers, customizers and professional racers, although you must find a way to earn credits for fuel, equipment and upgrades.\"
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Adder Harder Start:
The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're fucked.
:lol:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.0

Post by spara »

This simple oxp is now released. Version upped to 1.0.

* Text is read proofed. Big thanks to JeX.
* Nice background added.
* Hud's shown and not shown corrected.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.0

Post by UK_Eliter »

spara wrote:
This simple oxp is now released. Version upped to 1.0.

* Text is read proofed. Big thanks to JeX.
* Nice background added.
* Hud's shown and not shown corrected.
Nice! :) I especially like your having the corolis graphic (as shown at the start of the thread).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Start Choices oxp 1.1

Post by spara »

A small update (1.1). This has been a learning experience :D. Maybe this can be an example to someone.

In version 1.0 I used ship-data override to give the shown player ships a special role, so that they can be shown on the selection page. However, I realized, that some other oxp can do the same and oxps clash. Then I looked at the like_ship property, and presto, I can create a special ships of my own, that are in practice clones of the originals. All I have to do is rewrite the roles property. No more clashes.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I think in Oolite v1.77 you can call a ship by name rather than resorting to roles, so you need not create more ships just to display what already exists.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Switeck wrote:
I think in Oolite v1.77 you can call a ship by name rather than resorting to roles, so you need not create more ships just to display what already exists.
I thought so too, but could not find a way to do it. :( I would appreciate an example, if it can be done.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

spara wrote:
Switeck wrote:
I thought so too, but could not find a way to do it. :( I would appreciate an example, if it can be done.
Enclose the ship's data key in square brackets. e.g. [cobra3-player]