Tracker Cam OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Tracker Cam OXP

Post by Thargoid »

This is a little OXP which provides tracking camera satellites and a ship-to-satellite communications link. Both are available from tech 3+ equipment centres for the princely sum of 50 credits each. You need to purchase the link equipment and then at least one of the camera satellites. They are pylon mounted and deployed in the usual fashion (like a mine).

To use them, with a satellite within scanner range select the visual link on your primable equipment list ("shift-N" on normal key-configs) and then activate using the activation key (normally "n"). You can then access the camera view using the ships external custom view screen (normally "v").

The satellite will maintain focus on the player ship,and continue to transmit whilst in range. If you go beyond this range then the camera will automatically self-destruct to prevent space-lane pollution. The cameras are designed to be disposable, and cannot be scooped or reused as they are too fragile. If you need to use normal external views whilst one is in range, simply deactivate the link again via "shift-N / n".

Not really designed for a serious in-game usage as general equipment, but more for making nice video clips for ooTube.

With thanks to Cim for the trunk code and also his example code for the Camera Drones which forms a basis for this OXP.

Download is via the box or wiki links below, and it needs Oolite 1.77 to run.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Tracker Cam OXP

Post by Wolfwood »

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but this does not work for me. I get the link activated, but when I press the V key I only get the usual custom views and no access to the tracker cam...

Updated to the latest nightly build and it worked! 1.77.0-something wasn't new enough, needed 1.77.1.5647
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Odd.. works for me with 1.77.0.5612 (the current Deployment release)
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes it should work fine with the current 1.77 release.

When you say 1.77. something, what value was something? If it was a very old trunk that predates the proper release then you may have issues with all sorts of bugs and missing features.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Interesting. I am using the Windows version, but I don't think it should be any different. In any case, I got it working! :)

The previous version was 1.77.0.5520
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

You realise ofcourse what I can do with this.
Just played around with, It is a nice tool to view model you created to

I was scratching my head to make an in-game cinematic clip.

And this just makes things so easy.

Thanks. :D
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

That was why I made it :)

It's a nice tool for ship inspection, and of course for ooTube...