Commodity Markets OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Commodity Markets OXP

Post by Thargoid »

An adjustment OXP which splits the marketplace of the main station (and any other station with the role "commodityMarkets_station") into seperate ones for buying and selling cargo. The buy price is slightly above the system average, and the sell price slightly below (~2-5% each way). This is designed to make things a little more realistic, and also to make the trading side of the game a little harder.

When you enter the marketplace screen via F8 you will be asked to chose whether you want to buy or sell, and in the following screen you only be able to do that action. If you wish to do both during one station visit you will have to use the F8 screen twice, one for each action.

This OXP requires Oolite version 1.77 or above to work. It can be downloaded via the box or wiki links below as normal.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Re: Commodity Markets OXP

Post by JeX »

Hi Thargoid.

I really enjoy the realism of this OXP as it becomes somewhat harder to predict income from trading. And I am all for making this game harder!

However, I would simply love if it the OXP consisted of a fewer button presses by joining the market on a single screen so that purchase/selling was split on the same screen by a slash?
For example under each good you would have: Purchase price on the left/Sales price on the right.

Wanting to both sell my cargo and purchase new cargo requires me atm to:
press f8/8
select sales market
select cargo
sell cargo
press f4/f3 to exit market
press f8/8
select purchase market
select cargo
buy cargo

When I suppose it could be scripted so that pressing left arrow selects sales price, pressing right arrow selects purchase price.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I would love it too. But things like that aren't possible with the current GUI set up.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JeX wrote:
However, I would simply love if it the OXP consisted of a fewer button presses by joining the market on a single screen so that purchase/selling was split on the same screen by a slash?
For example under each good you would have: Purchase price on the left/Sales price on the right.

When I suppose it could be scripted so that pressing left arrow selects sales price, pressing right arrow selects purchase price.
This is doable with some message-log trickery that is used in AI trading assistant and marketObserver. The actual prices would be buy prices and sell prices would be printed on the left side. Then it would require scripting to correct credits when something is sold. Left and right arrows already do selling and buying. I would be careful with space bar thought, accidental selling might happen when you want to buy something or vice versa.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Oolite trunk makes it possible to recreate this OXP as a standalone. And here it is. Commodity Markets OXP version 2.0 for Oolite trunk (1.81).

Download: https://app.box.com/s/pc9ps5plbhyqoor25fva
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Stand-alone version (2.0) for Oolite 1.81 and up added to the in-game expansion manager.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A new version 2.0.1 available from the manager. Fixes the bug that BosunBob mentioned in discussions. Thanks to Norby for PMing me about it :D .

And to be clear. There are two versions available in the manager. 1.2.3 is an older one for older Oolite versions and it requires the older Market Observer to work. 2.0.1 is a standalone version for Oolite 1.81 and up that works with and without Market Observer.
BosunBob
Poor
Poor

Post by BosunBob »

Oh, cool! I wasn't even sure if that was an actual bug, or just a temporary anomaly in my installation. I was going to try it again eventually, and now I'll just go ahead with it.

Gotta say, this community is impressing me so far! :)
BosunBob,
commander of the Chunkier Monkey
trader - tinker - absurdist thinker
Ask about our chicken rentals!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I find that I often make mistakes buying and selling on the F8 commodity markets screen.

This oxp makes a lot of sense to me, but I usually lose money when I have it installed as I buy the wrong thing - or too much of it - and then have to sell some back (or vice-versa).

Would there be an easy fix for my predicament which would not involve a brain transplant? Say, adding in a trade confirmation button to press, or only registering the market transactions when leaving the F8 screen?

How do the real commodity traders do it?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?