Cargo Spotter OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Cargo Spotter OXP

Post by Thargoid »

The Aquarian Shipbuilding Corp introduce their latest piece of equipment, the Cargo Spotter. It adds a new piece of primable equipment for any scavenger, miner or bounty hunter. As small scoopable items like cargo pods, splinters and escape pods can often be difficult to see, this addition to the ships HUD overlays them with a virtual flashing glow. Thus they are easier to spot from a distance and home in on.

After purchase, the item is selected using "shift-N" and then activated with "n". From then-on all such scoopable items should be highlighted. To turn it off again, simply press "n" once more. Note that the equipment automatically deactivates itself on docking.

The update costs 300 credits, and should be available in systems of tech level 12 or higher.

Downloads via the box or the wiki links below, and needs Oolite 1.77 (or higher ;) ) to run.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Cargo Spotter OXP

Post by Thargoid »

And a small update to v1.01, as there is a missing $ in the script which stops things cleaning up properly if the equipment breaks.

With thanks to UK_Eliter for the heads-up. Downloads via the links below to box and wiki as normal.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Because no one else has has said it yet, I'll say it: This is an excellent oxp. Especially if your ambient lighting is low, those floating cargoes are pain to spot without it.

The only glitches I have seen are some rare flashers without a cargo box. Maybe it was destroyed or scooped and the flasher didn't go away or something. Anyway, rather small glitch in an otherwise very useful oxp.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

By far one of my most used OXPs but obviously because I, erm, mine a lot. Not because I am blowing up Boas or Pythons when the Galcops aren't looking! :twisted:
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

spara wrote:
Because no one else has has said it yet, I'll say it: This is an excellent oxp. Especially if your ambient lighting is low, those floating cargoes are pain to spot without it.

The only glitches I have seen are some rare flashers without a cargo box. Maybe it was destroyed or scooped and the flasher didn't go away or something. Anyway, rather small glitch in an otherwise very useful oxp.
As spara and JeX said - both the "excellent and one of my most used OXPs" (thank you very much for that) as well as the glitches, which I already got used to. Simply deactivating and reactivating the cargo spotter removes all "ghost" flashers.
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

spara wrote:

Yes, thanks a lot, this is a great oxp!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I thought the ghost flasher issue had been fixed between the beta and v1.00.

But if it's still happening with the current version then I can look at it again. But as noted the simplest way to get rid of them is to deactivate and reactivate the system with shift-N/n.

Glad people are liking it anyway.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
Loving it, actually..

Very useful, especially when one has a whole bunch of containers to scoop. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Loving it, actually..

Which only happens of course when some nasty pirate destroys a peaceful convoy, only to have you swoop in just a moment too late, take out the villain, and then very responsibly return the cargo to the station so the rightful owner can identify :roll: :roll: :roll:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Not necessarily.. I've had some good luck with pirate Pythons and Griff Boa Prototypes. And as for the Curse of the Black Sunspot OXP.. oh wow.. :shock:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

In my Ooniverse, some random ships seem to explode near Kiota stations and Taxi station and there's almost always something to scoop there.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

spara wrote:
In my Ooniverse, some random ships seem to explode near Kiota stations and Taxi station and there's almost always something to scoop there.
We should really get looking at that nasty bug in the game where heavy freighter ships just seem to explode on random. It's highly suspicious that so many players are experiencing it... :roll:
Bogatyr wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Loving it, actually..

Which only happens of course when some nasty pirate destroys a peaceful convoy, only to have you swoop in just a moment too late, take out the villain, and then very responsibly return the cargo to the station so the rightful owner can identify :roll: :roll: :roll:
This also seems to happen very often to me. I simply can't make it in time for some weird reason. It especially happens when my cargo hold is almost empty...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And I thought I was supposed to be the villainous one... :twisted:
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

G’Day Commanders!

Now it is my turn to say how wonderful this OXP is. I am using it all the time and really got tired switching it on every time I depart the station, so I made little changes to OXP script so you can set it ON and forget about it.

If you guys would like these changes and Thargoid is happy to UAT it and include in the next release I am happy send other a code. Let me know. :)

Cheers,
Commander V-SFC
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Yes, this OXP is a helpful one so I made also some update a few months ago which finally resulted the [wiki]Telescope[/wiki] OXP. :)