My Station Got Novaed

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

My Station Got Novaed

Post by mandoman »

Okay, now I've got a real bone to chew. I jumped through four Galactic Sectors to reach Zaeredre in Galactic Sector 5, only to be told, the moment I jumped into the system, that the sun is going Nova. Now, when I chose that system as one in which to put one of my stations, I didn't find anything that said that the sun in that particular system could possibly go Nova. I mean, not only did I pick a doomed system in which to put one of my stations, but after all the effort I put in to GET to that system, and my station, I'm told I ultimately have to leave as soon as I pick up refugees trying to leave the doomed system. I don't get it. Is there info somewhere, that I obviously missed, that says anything about the Zaeredre system in Galactic Sector 5 as one facing a Nova scenario? I had to jump to Galactic Sector 6 to get away, and was thanked most kindly by those I saved for pulling there butts out of the furnace, but this is a bit too ironic for me. Is there a Tech Level 13 or higher system in Galactic Sector 5 that the sun isn't doomed to go Nova? :(
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: My Station Got Novaed

Post by Cody »

<chortles>
mandoman wrote:
Is there a Tech Level 13 or higher system in Galactic Sector 5 that the sun isn't doomed to go Nova?
Biceenon!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Umm, isn't that mission supposed to happen in G4 ?

Or is there a small possibility to get a Nova event anywhere, maybe after the mission has been triggered once ?

If so, you just were relly unlucky there mandoman.

BTW, I have something in the pipeline that could work in a way in this situation too, I'll PM you once I have something to show / for you to test ;).
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

From memory, Mandoman has already done the default mission, so I think this could be an OXP effect. Is that right, Mandoman?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Well, I guess I was thinking in the terms of G4 meaning G5, so if when the game says G4 it really means G4? If that's the case, then my station got Novaed in G4. So I need to find a different system in G4, I guess. Thanks for the tip on Bicenon, El Viejo, do you know of another system, in G4 this time, that doesn't have the Nova scenario, or some oxp conflict? When I think back, I remember that I checked with everyone that had an oxp connected with each system, but didn't take the Nova scenario in to consideration. I'll look into that, now, I guess. Thanks for the enlightenment, guys. :)

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

They all have a nova scenario. It could happen to any system were you are at the scheduled nova time. :mrgreen:
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

So it doesn't really pay to have a station in Galactic Sector 5? That kind of puts a damper on anyone that may want to include some planet in that sector for an oxp, whether station, or mission, doesn't it?

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's fully possible to both detect, activate and indeed "de-nova" systems via scripting. So a mission OXP can work around it if required. But otherwise, it's a hazard of the game - not everything will go the player's way all the time. It's perfectly possible that the route to a given system you're trying to get to may be blocked by a nova'd system on the way.
ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by ioannis »

Excuse me, but which oxp allows you to have a station of your own? :shock:
Scratchbuilding miniatures:
http://miniaturesandstuff.wordpress.com/
the picture in my avatar is a Dwarf Berserker.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

ioannis wrote:
Oh, pagrooves, Griffs, RyanHoots, etc., and soon to come, me/Zieman/Griff/Commander McLane/pagroove/Thargoids Mandotech Station. It got Novaed the other day, LOL!!! :lol:

The trick is in the scripting, not the modeling, so if you can script pretty well, and know how to model, just check out some of the oxp Stations to see what they did. I can't script any better than a donkey, so Zieman stepped in and did that part for me. Many, many, many, many, thanks, Zieman. :D

I'm thinking of changing my user name to "Donkeyman", because most of the time I seem to act like one. :D

Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

ioannis wrote:
Mandoman doesn't actually own a station in the same way that he owns the ship he flies.

Modellers are very protective of their creations and assign ownership to them. "This my ship. This my station. This is my..." :twisted:

You can not own a station (or planet) like in other games. YET!!!
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Tricky wrote:
Mandoman doesn't actually own a station in the same way that he owns the ship he flies.

Modellers are very protective of their creations and assign ownership to them. "This my ship. This my station. This is my..." :twisted:

That's true, after I release it. If I don't release it, than it's all mine. :mrgreen:

Correction, it's mine and Zieman's. :D

I'm planning on releasing it, though. :)

Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

I'm looking forward to seeing it Mandoman.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Shipbuilder wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing it Mandoman.
It's no biggy.........well, actually it IS BIG, but the station itself wasn't a big deal to make. I'm serous about Zieman, that he did the really hard stuff. When I saw what he did with scripts, and AIs to get this station in just the right systems, in a position that doesn't interfere with the system Main Station, it floored me. I realized immediately that if he hadn't helped me, or someone else with good scripting skills, the station would just have been another "Might Have Been". Zieman took script snippets from the Core Files, as well as using a few from pagroove, Griff, Commander McLane, and Thargoid, and wove them together to produce an excellent product. I'll never be able to thank him enough, and I sure hope it's all right with the others for their contributions, however unbeknownst to them. :D

ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by ioannis »

mandoman wrote:
ioannis wrote:
Oh, pagrooves, Griffs, RyanHoots, etc., and soon to come, me/Zieman/Griff/Commander McLane/pagroove/Thargoids Mandotech Station. It got Novaed the other day, LOL!!! :lol:

The trick is in the scripting, not the modeling, so if you can script pretty well, and know how to model, just check out some of the oxp Stations to see what they did. I can't script any better than a donkey, so Zieman stepped in and did that part for me. Many, many, many, many, thanks, Zieman. :D

I'm thinking of changing my user name to "Donkeyman", because most of the time I seem to act like one. :D
:lol:
Tricky wrote:
ioannis wrote:

Ah, that explains things, thank you. Station ownership is indeed something many players look forward to, methinks.
Scratchbuilding miniatures:
http://miniaturesandstuff.wordpress.com/
the picture in my avatar is a Dwarf Berserker.