Destination ETA

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Destination ETA

Post by Wildeblood »

Download Destination ETA OXP ver. 1.0

Wildefire Avionics - shamelessly ripping off Mika Spara since 2012 - introduce Destination ETA, an OXP for Oolite 1.76 that improves the functionality of the Advanced Space Compass, and is compatible with most HUDs. It was inspired by the distance and time to target function included in Aad-HUD, and still contains a few lines of code copied from that OXP (the vector calculations which are all Greek to me) at its heart. Like that, it adds a continually updated estimated time to arrival for your currently selected compass target which appears whenever you're at green alert. It also includes a spectroscope function which reveals the additional information about stars added by the Distant Suns OXP, but is fully usable without that.

Last edited by Wildeblood on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIPs] Destination ETA & Distant Suns

Post by spara »

This looks nice. It's a really good idea to create a generic ETA oxp. A while ago I had an idea how such a thing could be done and I'm very interested to see if you got the same idea 8). In my opinion ETA should be a standard feature of the game. Maybe in some future version?
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by superbatprime »

At last!

I bet this is awesome with the computer voice on.

Sooo... I guess this is destined for 1.77? (are those sunspots I see?)
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

The beauty of this boards. I suggested an ETA in that other topic an a week later it's in progress. Fantastic work!.

I Also like the Distant Suns. I believe in famous planets 3 systems are having custom suns and Corona's. Look into the planet info.plist for that then you see.

Is the naming random for the stars or do you maintain a naming list? Anyway great work :D 8)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Does this play nicely with the Planetary Compass modification, or is there anything in that which would need tweaking? That doesn't do anything directly with the sun or its name so should be Ok I guess, but can you confirm?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

superbatprime wrote:
I bet this is awesome with the computer voice on.
It updates every half-second, so the voice went "Ja-ja-ja-ja-ja-ja". I've added lots of code to detect if the voice is on and change the timing to once every ten seconds. If you pause the game and change the voice setting in flight it will immediately detect the change. It's pretty slick, if I do say so myself.
pagroove wrote:
Is the naming random for the stars or do you maintain a naming list?
If the star's name is set, it reads that. If not, it adds to the planet's name: e.g. "Lave" becomes "Lave Stella". (Does anyone have a preference between Aster, Astra or Stella?)
Thargoid wrote:
Does this play nicely with the Planetary Compass modification, or is there anything in that which would need tweaking?
Like my HUD scripts it announces beacon codes when you cycle through beacons mode; if Talkative Space Compass is present announcements are suppressed so you don't have two announcements per beacon. Making it work slickly with Planetary Compass should be easy.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Wildeblood wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Does this play nicely with the Planetary Compass modification, or is there anything in that which would need tweaking?
Like my HUD scripts it announces beacon codes when you cycle through beacons mode; if Talkative Space Compass is present announcements are suppressed so you don't have two announcements per beacon. Making it work slickly with Planetary Compass should be easy.
Sounds good - if there's bits that need to go into my code to smooth it, just let me know.

Will look at the sun_name variable you propose too and see if I can work that in.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Destination ETA

Post by Duggan »

I like this OXP, it adds a nice bit of informative extra functionality to the HUD. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
it adds a continually updated estimated time to arrival for your currently selected compass target which appears whenever you're at green alert.
Why only at green alert? Excepting combat, of course, most of the game is played on yellow alert. It would be handy to have it available then too..

(integration with the descriptions in Talkative Space Compass would be nice as well, if you ever feel inclined)

I'm loving the Distant Suns demo, btw! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Why only at green alert? Excepting combat, of course, most of the game is played on yellow alert.
Because there are too many other things popping up messages on screen at yellow alert, and no way of predicting or detecting them. There are a limited range of messages that appear at green alert and they can fairly reliably be detected to pause the ETA update while their messages display. It's less of a problem if you have speech on and the ETA isn't on screen continuously, of course.
Diziet Sma wrote:
(integration with the descriptions in Talkative Space Compass would be nice as well, if you ever feel inclined)
I don't understand that comment. If it's working correctly it shouldn't affect Talkative Space Compass at all, and what descriptions?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Why only at green alert? Excepting combat, of course, most of the game is played on yellow alert.
Because there are too many other things popping up messages on screen at yellow alert, and no way of predicting or detecting them. There are a limited range of messages that appear at green alert and they can fairly reliably be detected to pause the ETA update while their messages display. It's less of a problem if you have speech on and the ETA isn't on screen continuously, of course.
Fair enough.. that makes sense.
Wildeblood wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I don't understand that comment. If it's working correctly it shouldn't affect Talkative Space Compass at all, and what descriptions?
Sorry.. badly phrased on my part.. there's no conflict.. just very mechanical sounding, less atmospheric names, by comparison.

Some examples of what I was getting at:

TSC: Main Station Nav Buoy
ETA: Beacon: N0100 Navigation Buoy

TSC: Witchpoint Beacon
ETA: Beacon: W0100 Navigation Buoy (Witchpoint)

TSC: Astromine Penal Colony JWN424-RE1
ETA:Beacon: Astromine

TSC: Collective SLAPU
ETA:Beacon: Factory (SLAPU)

TSC: Jump Gate (Spider Variant)
ETA: Beacon: Jump Gate

TSC: The Old Spacer
ETA: Beacon: B-Space Bar
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'd guess that one is looking at entity.name or entity.displayName and the other at entity.beaconCode perhaps?

As an aside, rather than using system.sun_name might it be more consistent to use either system.sun.name or system.sun.displayName (or .display_name if you prefer)? It would also perhaps make things a touch more future-proof if we end up with multiple suns available, although of course then I guess sun would become an array so would need recoding for anyway. It would also then dovetail in with Planetary Compass as well, although that doesn't do anything with the sun aside from what is already in the ASC.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
As an aside, rather than using system.sun_name
Actually, he's using system.info.sun_name.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
I'd guess that one is looking at entity.name or entity.displayName and the other at entity.beaconCode perhaps?
Yep.. now that I've taken a look to see how it's done, ETA is displaying whom.beaconCode and TSC is displaying whom.displayName, or a custom string in the case of beacons, etc.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep.. now that I've taken a look to see how it's done, ETA is displaying whom.beaconCode...
Then you will have also found the shipdata-overrides file. :D