[Retired] Troomp OXP 0.9

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Retired] Troomp OXP 0.9

Post by spara »

This OXP has been taken off to avoid confusion. It has been superseded by marketObserver OXP and SothisTC OXP.
Troomp OXP ver 0.9 (6.1.2013)

Author: spara (Mika Spåra)

_The_story,_sort_of_

Long ago a business magnate Donald Troomp built a Sothis station to all corporate systems to act as a trade centers. To the big public Troomp is better remembered by his intergalactic competition, which he called "The Apprentice." The idea was to find the most suitable person to run one of his companies. Mr Troomp is long gone, but his Sothis Trade Centers are live and kicking.

You can do serious business at Sothises, but they also serve another role. They monitor all transactions that happen in all eight galaxies. As such, they give every trader a trader ranking.

Who knows, maybe somewhere in the future, they'll want you to run some of their Sothises. If your rank is high enough...

_What_it_does

This oxp tracks your trading in real time and keeps track of the profit you make. Based on the profit, you are given a trader's rank that can be seen from the manifest screen.

Your market screen is upgraded so that you'll see the min, max and average values of the commodities and the average value of your bought cargo per unit per commodity. The profit calculations are based on these values.

If you have Sothis OXP by KillerWolf installed, all Sothises are converted into trading stations and located to high TL corporate systems.

If you have New Cargoes OXP by cim installed, you can read TradeNet when visiting a Sothis station. You will also find that there are more special cargo opportunities than there are in the main station.

_Work_used_by_others_

* Backgrounds are made from vectormaps by G. Presti & C. Angus.
* Some hud design copied from AI Trading Assistant oxp by Wildeblood.

_Installing_and_requirements_

* You'll need a hud that defines the message console. Note that the default hud does not define it.
* Sothis station is recommended
* New Cargoes is recommended
* marketAide is not recommended. (oxps will clash)
Market screen showing average unit values of commodities in cargo hold.

Market screen showing profit made.
Last edited by spara on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [Wip] SothisTC

Post by Captain Beatnik »

A very interesting idea for a new .OXP. :D

I hope you will release the finished version soon.

Best regards

C.B.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

As my English is not that strong, I'll have to ask for your opinion. I've been pondering a 9-step reputation rating that would be different from elite rating. I'm going to use these instead of Cmdr McLane's strings. This is what I have come up with:

You are:

*rejectable (<0)
*nobody (0)
*newcomer (+1)
*mediocre (+2)
*encouraging (+3)
*trustworthy (+4)
*adequate (+5)
*impeccable (+6)
*renowned (+7)

What do you think?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

spara wrote:
*rejectable (<0)
Not a word, at least not in the sense you mean.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I would also suggest to swap 4/5 around, and similarly 6/7. Adequate would normally be "middle of the road" and lesser than trustworthy and similarly between renowned and impeccable.

Rather than rejectable, maybe something like "inadequate", "failed" or "undesired" perhaps, depending on context?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

spara wrote:
*rejectable (<0)
If this is for someone who loses money trading, "loser" might be appropriate.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Thank you all. Your help is invaluable. I tried to put these in order with the help of a dictionary and this was the result :lol:.
Disembodied wrote:
spara wrote:
*rejectable (<0)
If this is for someone who loses money trading, "loser" might be appropriate.
Sorry. I was not accurate enough. These are for passenger and conractor statuses. I'll be bck with the trading ranks later. The ones inside the wip oxp are merely placeholders, althought the highest rank is set :wink:. And I'll definitely use "loser" for a trading rank.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Undesirable is the word you're looking for for <0 reputations. And I'd agree with Thargoid about the order of the highest four, too.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

This one is evolving nicely but slowly. The result is going to be a little bit different from my original idea. The main thing will be "Trader's rank" that will be like "Explorer's rank". Rank will be based on profit made from trading. As an additive, if you have Sothis installed, it will be relocated and have little something extra and if you have New Cargoes installed in addition to Sothis, Sothis will be configured for serious biz.

I kindly ask for you help with rankings again. These are what I had in mind for trader's rank:

* Loser (< 0)
* Nobody (0 - 100)
* Amateur (100 - 400)
* Merchant (400 - 1600)
* Entrepreneur (1600 - 6400)
* Businessman (6400 - 25600)
* Magnate (25600 - 102400)
* Shark (102400 - 409600)
* Mastertrader (409600 - 1638400)
* Troomp (>= 1638400)

Am I using the right words and are they in a sensible order? Do the profit limits I'm planning feel reasonable? So that there is something to gain even for a seasoned trader.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

spara wrote:
I kindly ask for you help with rankings again.
I'd suggest the following for word order:

* Loser
* Nobody
* Amateur
* Entrepreneur (I put this one lower because it suggests someone starting something new)
* Trader
* Merchant
* Master Trader
* Magnate
* Tycoon
* Merchant Prince

I haven't any real idea about the amounts ... it might be better to spread them further apart at the lower end especially. The Elite rankings, for example, always seem to tick by so fast at the start and then slow down to such a crawl that I tend to forget about them.

How does it deal with profit from cargo salvaged in space? Are you able to use only items bought and sold to calculate?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Disembodied wrote:
I haven't any real idea about the amounts ... it might be better to spread them further apart at the lower end especially. The Elite rankings, for example, always seem to tick by so fast at the start and then slow down to such a crawl that I tend to forget about them.
You do have a point here. Now to think of it, Elite rankings do build too fast in the beginning. I'll have to put more thought to it. The difference between Elite rankings and profits is that profits tend to grow exponentially until you have reached the most valued commodities and your cargo space limits.
Disembodied wrote:
How does it deal with profit from cargo salvaged in space? Are you able to use only items bought and sold to calculate?
ATM you get full profit from salvaged items. It gets really complicated to distinguish salvaged and bought items especially with the new cargoes mixing in. I think I'll keep it simple: you have invested x credits into one commodity and when you sell, your investment is divided by your stock to get a value per item. Then your profit is that value minus the price in the market.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If we're having trader rankings, we have to have "Apprentice" in there (somewhere quite low down, given the recent crops of losers...)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Thargoid wrote:
If we're having trader rankings, we have to have "Apprentice" in there (somewhere quite low down, given the recent crops of losers...)
You could drop out "Nobody" and have

* Loser
* Amateur
* Apprentice
... etc.

or just insert "Apprentice" between "Amateur" and "Entrepreneur". That gives 11 rankings, so for a full dozen you could have e.g.

* Loser
* Nobody
* Amateur
* Apprentice
* Entrepreneur
* Journeyman
* Trader
* Merchant
* Master Trader
* Magnate
* Tycoon
* Merchant Prince
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Is there room for a Bikeshed?
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

fronclynne wrote:
Is there room for a Bikeshed?
<offtopic>You'll be asking what colour the boat shed in Hereford is next :p </offtoptic>