[limited release] Astronaut-Felix Baumgartner

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

[limited release] Astronaut-Felix Baumgartner

Post by Knotty »

https://www.boxcn.net/s/mb3ax19uunac3qnpazc6
Silly little OXP as a tribute to the bravery of both Nasa and Felix Baumgartner:
A Space suit you can dive out of the space station from to the Planet below (planetfall oxp required)
Also added as a NPC shuttle, and a minimal HUD
As Planetfall requires Docking computers, these are equipped as standard (hence silly)

Be careful as you leave the station, you'll be in the way of other traffic and slow to get out of their way :-)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [limited release] Astronaut-Felix Baumgartner

Post by Wildeblood »

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by superbatprime »

Dude nice textures on the suit!

Cool tribute, had to get it just because. :)
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

superbatprime wrote:
Cool tribute, had to get it just because. :)
Agreed!
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Whatta concept! Tres cool! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

Thanks
I had to do quite a few adjustments, but the original model is from NASA http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/models.html, and technically not in keeping with the year 3,000 aesthetic of Elite (although I would imagine the retro look would be in fashion then as now), plus the fact you've still got hyperdrive, jump drive, docking computers.... :-)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Knotty wrote:
Wow! What a lot of models! So it might even be possible for us to bump into Voyager out there someday.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

I did play around with the Shuttle models with the aim of creating a tribute to them (with the in universe explanation of a classic recreation), but the conversion into oolite never went well. I still hope to create my own model from scratch, but this came first :-)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Oddly enough I independently found those NASA models myself today - weird coincidence!

As for needing Planetfall - if you're interested I can look at putting together a script which overrides it and just allows you to land anyway.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

awesome oxp Knotty! :D
Knotty
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Knotty »

Judging by the reactions, think I'll try and put together a 30th century space suit for wider release. (with an optional Nasa and Redbull texture of course!)
I'd like to try and get into the scripting myself, but will most certainly welcome a few pointers , thanks!

Meanwhile, I've tried a few stunts in this, like trying to flying into the Griff Navigation buoy (first time I've ever got motion sickness in oolite!, but it's so detailed!), going though a wormhole, trying to not get killed by pirates (that damn serpent class got me)...

Hmm, Would a MoonRaker style laser be too much...?
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Knotty wrote:
Judging by the reactions, think I'll try and put together a 30th century space suit for wider release. (with an optional Nasa and Redbull texture of course!)
I'd like to try and get into the scripting myself, but will most certainly welcome a few pointers , thanks!

Meanwhile, I've tried a few stunts in this, like trying to flying into the Griff Navigation buoy (first time I've ever got motion sickness in oolite!, but it's so detailed!), going though a wormhole, trying to not get killed by pirates (that damn serpent class got me)...

Hmm, Would a MoonRaker style laser be too much...?
You might have problems with copyright for NASA and Rebull logos.

As for the moonraker laser... :D :D :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

/I'll look into it when I get a moment.

One small comment though - beware of doing a NASA version as whilst they are quite happy for people to use the models etc, they don't like people using their logo (unless they work for NASA). A Drax version or something more oolite maybe a viable option. Just so you're in the know before you get to deep work (see the models website for details on the licensing).

Editted to add - Semi-Ninja'd!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I tried it out last night. Jumped out of the station, got half-way down to the surface, then realized why you said it needed Planetfall. Splat. On the second attempt I just floated away from the station, jumped from Lave to Diso, got most of the way to the station on torus speed, then got mass-locked by some pirates, outran them*, then docked at Diso station. I don' know how you fitted a hyperspace drive into a spacesuit, and I never thought a guy floating in a spacesuit would be able to outrun a King Cobra, so I'm impressed. :wink:

This is nothing like what Shipbuilder and I discussed. We just envisioned workers floating about in the vicinity of stations, corpses floating among wreckage, and stuff like that.

Really, for a proper Felix Baumgartner experience you need to script this to ensure it actually falls to the planet, and the player can't take-off in a gravity-defying direction. I'd lose the FTL drive, too; it seems a bit hard to believe. But that's just me being a wowser. If you script the descent, so he falls in the right direction, at the right speed, you don't need Planetfall at all. Docking at the end of the fall to avoid going splat is just one extra line of code.

A pulse laser side-arm in the style of Moonraker is exactly what I wanted when those pirates were chasing me. Until I realized they were never going to catch me, then my anxiety and desire to return fire subsided.

* The AI bug that makes ships match speeds with whatever they're chasing, no matter how slow, and never actually catch up to it.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tricky wrote:
Knotty wrote:
You might have problems with copyright for NASA and Redbull logos.
RedbOoll should be fine, I think. :wink: