[RELEASE]SunBirdV1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[RELEASE]SunBirdV1.0

Post by mandoman »

It took me a while to decide whether to release this ship, or not. I like it, and have put a lot of work into both the exterior, and interior, as the pics below will show you. Hope you enjoy it.

The SunBird is a trader, plain and simple. I was informed that it was not realistic (what ever that means), but I believe that it is within the realm of possibility. It has a pretty good size belly, so I thought that a max_cargo of 250 tons was not out of line. It isn't super fast, nor does it have a high max_energy, or energy_recharge_rate, but after flying several missions with it, I found it quite capable, at least as much as any other similar trader ship. I personally think the best part of it is the sun flare paint job, but I realize that I'm biased. You can judge that for yourself.

Specs.:

Max Speed = 325
Max Energy = 300
Energy Recharge Rate = 3.0
Thrust = 25
Max Cargo = 250 tons

https://www.box.com/s/0d5rifw048z4hzm1ihzl

Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Jake
Competent
Competent

Re: [RELEASE]SunBirdV1.0

Post by Jake »

I'm sorry. I really, really wish there was a tactful way to say this, because you've obviously put a lot of effort into the design...

But it looks like the offspring of Thunderbird 2 and a rubber chicken.
Proud owner of the most iron-arsed Mk1 Cobbie in G1.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Jake wrote:
I'm sorry. I really, really wish there was a tactful way to say this, because you've obviously put a lot of effort into the design...

But it looks like the offspring of Thunderbird 2 and a rubber chicken.
Do you really think I give a rat's ass what you think? If you don't like it, ignore it. You don't have to be insulting.

Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

That's an interesting faceted look! I love it. MandoTech is extremely popular in my neck of the 'verse.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

mandoman wrote:
Do you really think I give a rat's ass what you think?
Please - such incivility is uncalled-for!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

[derail_shutdown]If you wanna create some more variety, some black stripes near the wingtips wouldn't go amiss...[/derail_shutdown]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Impressive work! I'm not sure those legs look strong enough to support what is clearly a lot of mass, but impressive nonetheless.. is there any way to view the interior in-game? Custom views, etc?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

El Viejo wrote:
Oh, and you think
it looks like the offspring of Thunderbird 2 and a rubber chicken.
is being civil?
Diziet Sma wrote:
Impressive work! I'm not sure those legs look strong enough to support what is clearly a lot of mass, but impressive nonetheless.. is there any way to view the interior in-game? Custom views, etc?
I don't know how to make the interior visible "in game". The interior design was a huge file, and would probably cause a bit of lag in the game. I know those legs don't look right. I was actually thinking more of a telescoping leg, but didn't get around to working on it. Maybe I'll go back and try that.

Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Repulsor fields!
Cody

Post by Cody »

mandoman wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Oh, and you think
it looks like the offspring of Thunderbird 2 and a rubber chicken.
is being civil?
When you post stuff here, you can expect praise, wows, etc - and sometimes criticism and opinions.
If you can't handle that, follow your own advice - 'if you don't like it, ignore it'!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

[white_flag]Bangs head on desk[/white_flag]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

mandoman wrote:
I don't know how to make the interior visible "in game".
Ramon made an Anaconda which had an interior view of the cargo hold.. you might find some ideas/inspiration there.

Edit: Bugger.. the Ramon's Anaconda hosting company went belly-up, although his other ships are still available.. The wiki page is still there, which has pics of the interior. Does anyone have a copy floating around in their archives, so we can resurrect this awesome ship?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

El Viejo wrote:
When you post stuff here, you can expect praise, wows, etc - and sometimes criticism and opinions.
If you can't handle that, follow your own advice - 'if you don't like it, ignore it'!
I see. So if I want, I can drop in on anyone's thread, and make snotty comments on their topic, and expect no retaliation? For one thing, I have never, nor will I ever, do that. This is suppose to be "The friendliest forum this side of Riedquat", only it seems that some of us are required to be friendlier than others. Enough of this. You don't have to concern yourself over my posts any longer.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

mandoman wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
I see. So if I want, I can drop in on anyone's thread, and make snotty comments on their topic, and expect no retaliation? For one thing, I have never, nor will I ever, do that. This is suppose to be "The friendliest forum this side of Riedquat", only it seems that some of us are required to be friendlier than others. Enough of this. You don't have to concern yourself over my posts any longer.
As a moderator, I do have to concern myself over your posts and I would like to state the following:

When you post stuff on a public forum, and especially when you release material, you can expect criticism. Postive or negative. Whoever doesn't like your designs is free to ignore them as you say, but at the same time they are free to comment on them, provided they keep it civil. And no, Jake was not uncivil with his post. It is quite obvious to me that you do "give a rat's ass" about it, because in the opposite case you would have simply not posted a reply.

So, please tone it down. People are not here to get you. This is the internet and comments will sometimes be more acidic than others. Live with it and move on.

At the same time, I would prefer that an advice I got when I was younger be followed here in general: If you don't have anything good to say about something, best if you don't say nothing at all.

Let's go back to being the friendliest board etc.

Thanks.
Jake
Competent
Competent

Post by Jake »

Look, I'm sorry, okay? I did try to strike a balance between being honest and being polite.
Proud owner of the most iron-arsed Mk1 Cobbie in G1.