[UPDATED RELEASE] Quirium Mine Detector V1.4 (26/04/14)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[UPDATED RELEASE] Quirium Mine Detector V1.4 (26/04/14)

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yep.. Dizzy has succumbed to the Dark Side.. my very first OXP. :twisted:

A couple of days ago, I was engaged in a hectic dogfight with a Random Hits mark and his henchmen, and finally managed to take him out. I was being heavily set upon by his cohorts, and failed to notice the Q-Bomb he'd launched just before dying. By the time I recognised the expanding BlueSphere'o'Death, it was far too late to do anything about it.

Thus was born my determination to make an OXP that would not only put a message on the screen, but would sound a siren to make sure I was aware of impending doom, in time to do something about it.

I studied (and adapted) the code in the Missile Analyser and BGS, and did a lot of reading of the Oolite Javascript Reference. Then followed plenty of hair-tearing moments with the Debug Console.

48 hours later, it's done. It works, and works well. :D

The Detector is available at systems of TL10 and above. The cost is Cr 5000. It should work with Oolite 1.73 and up.

(It can come as a bit of a shock, the first time the siren goes off, as you're usually not expecting it. I suggest people play the siren sound -located in the Sounds folder of the OXP- once or twice to familiarise themselves with it beforehand. That way, valuable seconds aren't lost while the player wonders "What on Earth is that horrible noise?" :lol: )

Update: Version 1.2 released. Implemented Wildeblood's simplified detection code for pre-1.77 and added code to use the new this.cascadeWeaponDetected function if running in trunk (and 1.78+ when released).

Update: Version 1.3 released. This is a minor update, in which the plist files have been converted from XML to NeXTSTEP. If you already have 1.2 installed, there is no need to upgrade.

Update: The OXZ version (1.79+ only) has been uploaded to the Wiki. Now, the 1.79 OXZ Manager will be able to download and install the Detector directly from the Wiki. If you wish to manually install the OXZ version of the Detector, see the Wiki page for the link and instructions.

Update: Version 1.4 released. This is a minor update, to make the OXP/OXZ compliant with OXP Best Practice Guidelines. If you already have 1.2 or 1.3 installed, there is no need to upgrade.

Download Link

[EliteWiki] Wiki Page
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:51 am, edited 16 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Quirium Cascade Mine Detector (V1.0)

Post by CommRLock78 »

Neat Dizzy - I always hated that last fleeting attempt to get me after I whack a Random Hit :twisted: . I learned my lesson quickly about that, and now I look out for that orange blip on my radar after I dispatch a villain to the vacuum of space, but I think it'll be a fun addition to my OXP folder :D. Thanks!
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Now that is a really useful bit of kit to have! 8) Great work Diziet Sma :wink:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Neat Dizzy - I always hated that last fleeting attempt to get me after I whack a Random Hit :twisted: . I learned my lesson quickly about that, and now I look out for that orange blip on my radar after I dispatch a villain to the vacuum of space, but I think it'll be a fun addition to my OXP folder :D. Thanks!
Me too.. but if you miss it, even for a second or two, you're history.. talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! And the taste of ashes in your mouth just when you're feeling so good about succeeding. Hence this OXP.
Geraldine wrote:
Now that is a really useful bit of kit to have! 8) Great work Diziet Sma :wink:
Thanks.. I already have plans for additional features & options for 2.0. Looks like they're right.. once you turn to the dark side.. :lol:

But first, I have to go make a Wiki page.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [RELEASE] Quirium Cascade Mine Detector (V1.0)

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Welcome to the Coven :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Yep.. Dizzy has succumbed to the Dark Side.. my very first OXP.
<waves at Diz in passing as he returns from the dark-side>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Welcome to the Coven :)
Thanks! <looks around> Um.. I was led to believe there would be cookies?

:twisted:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I was led to believe there would be cookies?
There is, but we're just waiting for the legal dept. to draw up the disclaimers and T&Cs :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cookies? Doochy Originals, I would hope! Mmm!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Congrats Dizzy .-)

<makes note about another player got lost in the depth of OXPing>
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks, Svengali.. It was the q-bomb code in BGS that finally got me onto the right track for detecting the mines. 8)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Why exactly does it require the Missile Analyser?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Umm.. it seemed like a good idea at the time? :mrgreen: (I was kinda brain-fried by the time I got it working consistently, to be honest - almost 24 hours of no sleep)

Rough handwavium I had in mind is that it uses the analyser technology and database to determine if objects in question might be a mine. I'm certainly open to arguments as to why it should be independent of the MA. I can see how, since the scanner identifies a Q-Mine instantly, it should perhaps be regarded as simply an extension of the scanner itself.

If others agree, it's an easy change.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Personally, I already have the Missile Analyzer installed... Nothing but the best for Sic Vita Est.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

So do I.. it's an essential part of the AMS, which I wouldn't be without. But the more I think about it, it does make sense that it would be a standalone item, basically an extension of the scanner..