CustomShieldsv083.oxp(NEW RELEASE)(Sept. 24, 2012)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

CustomShieldsv083.oxp(NEW RELEASE)(Sept. 24, 2012)

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

CustomShieldsv083.oxp is now available for download.

Sept. 24, 2012
changelog: version 0.83

-blown panels redone as a separate scripted cargo entity to resolve many issues.
-full cloaking device compatibility, shield effects now work for the victim of any cloaked attacker, including the player.

I think we finally have a winner here. It is recommended that if you have version 0.8, 0.81 or 0.82 to discard it in favor of this new version 0.83. (this is v5, if you have v4, discard it as it has no counts as kill = 0 on the blown panels, and next time give a guy more time to finish updating his files. :lol: )

Download link:

https://www.box.com/s/mnc729196xnlqlz80ahr

Enjoy! Now back to working on the advanced damage routines for 0.9. :D

================================

CustomShieldsv082.oxp is now available for download.

Sept. 17, 2012
changelog: version 0.82

-one poly model now in use for the markers with a small black texture
-a few script tweaks to try to ensure most markers aren't destroyed prematurely
-changes on shipTakingDamage routines to eliminate whom is null and also the-->
-variable speedcollisionradiusadjustment added to prevent shield flashers from colliding with ship while under injector power
-transferred velocity to missile/mine explosion effects and adjusted effect size
-made standard one poly model really small to eliminate core game white explosion flare to restore sparks to just like it was before and added larger models for a white flare effect for blown panels and damage
-added velocity for blown panels and the accompanying sparks as they are blown off the hull in the direction of the impact

This one works really well for 1.76 and 1.77trunk. It is recommended that if you have version 0.8 or 0.81 to discard it in favor of this new version 0.82.

Download link:

Enjoy! I look forward to further playtest results and comments and barring any major bugfixes being needed, the next version will be 0.9 with the completed damage routines. :D

CustomShieldsv081.oxp is now available for download.

Sept. 12, 2012
Changelog: version 0.81

-removed zero poly marker and replaced with a regular poly model
-script tweaks related to the regular model compatibility
-selectability for damage effects added
-selectability for missile and mine explosion effects added
-attempts to squash the whom is null error, mostly resolved, still a few errors

There is now total compatibility in 1.76 as the zero poly model is not used, so no ghosts or seeing through things or flying through things or unscoopable cargo. If those are happening to you, it is NOT caused by this version and if you have the old version 0.8, please discard it infavor of this new one, especially if you use 1.76. Whom is null errors happen occasionally and have no effect except to write a message in the log file. 1.77trunk seems not to have had any problem with version 0.8 in the first place, but it may still cause unseen problems as cim indicated. Also, it may run a smidge slower after replacing the zero poly model with a regular one, but I can't confirm this as it seems to have the same frame rate for my slow netbook as far as I can tell. There is selectability now for damage effects and missile/mine explosions so it is now fully tweakable and will probably become more so with each new version. Enjoy, thanks for trying this oxp, and it is really appreciated to have players report any errors and results of playtesting and comments. Thanks!

Download link:

Shield flasher effects at last!!! :D

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd. is happy to bring you the long awaited realization of shield flasher and damage effects to Oolite. As well, in this oxp is the first realistic forward/aft shield simulation for the npcs that works nearly identical to that found on the players own ship and which offers a new mix of balance and strategy to player ship combat, dogfighting in particular. The oxp is customizable for both eye candy and game mechanics. Compatibility and balance with other oxps is therefore insured. Have it your way and enjoy.

Screenshots:
#1 a solid hit on a cobra3 by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#2 lasers tunnelling into a cobra3's forward shield by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#3 this cobra3's forward shield is getting low by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#4 a cobra1 about to lose the forward shield by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#5 a cobra1 taking unshielded hits by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#6 a glancing blow on a gecko by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#7 a gecko losing a panel in a shower of sparks by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#8 player shield taking hits from a Fer-de-lance by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#9 the greenish glow of thargoid shields by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

#10 this cobra1 has a fuel leak by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr

THIS OXP IS A PRODUCTION OF COMMONSENSE 'OUTSIDE-THE-BOX' DESIGN STUDIOS LTD.
Author: CommonSenseOTB
CustomShieldsv08.oxp
Completed: Sept. 10, 2012 first release of version 0.8

In this oxp you will find:

-shield flasher size based on ship's mass.
-shield tunneling effect to show various degrees of laser damage penetrating the shield as the shield grows weaker.
-collision shield flare-up effects for massive and high velocity objects.
-shields react to collisions just as they do for lasers.
-unshielded damage effects like sparks and blown panels.
-prototype fuel leak damage effect that is scoopable by and can happen to both npc and player.
-player shield effects from inside the ship showing impact tunneling effect and shield flash.
-enhanced missile/mine explosions.
-simulated green thargoid shields based on energy level.
-basic main npc shielding routines using only energy level to control the shield and damage effects.
-advanced main npc shielding routines using realistic forward and aft virtual shields to control the shield and damage effects.
-advanced npcs can use shield equalizers, shield capacitors and shield cyclers when those oxps are installed.
-advanced shield impact routines accurate enough to be able to target specifically either the forward or aft shield while in combat, adding a new strategic element to combat and dogfighting in particular.
-customizable settings for the player in the startUp function of the script "customshields" to allow selection of different colors of shields and disable advanced shield game mechanics or other effects for 100% compatibility with most oxps and mission oxps and enabling exactly what the player wants to have in the game.
-works with Oolite versions 1.76+(including 1.77trunk) and future versions for 1.77 will take advantage of many new features.
-SHADERS CAPABLE COMPUTER NOT NEEDED-->works with ALL computers, uses flashers, NOT shaders.
-for more information and specifics on customization options see this oxp's readme.

I know a lot of people have been wanting this for a long time and I was tired of waiting so after a brainstorm and a month of part-time work, well, here you go, enjoy, and have fun! :D

CustomShieldsv08

Download link:

CustomShields version 0.8 still awaits completion of combat related damage routines and various other tweaks which will be in version 0.9. Help improve this oxp by reporting your playtest results, likes, dislikes and other related comments and ideas in this viewtopic.
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Re: CustomShieldsv08.oxp(NEW RELEASE)

Post by commanderxairon »

this is the kind of oxp that i love
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Looks very good CSOTB. Couple of questions/comments.

First: Does it alter the shield/energy/survivability of NPC's like NPC Shields by Commander McLane does.
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
-prototype fuel leak damage effect that is scoopable by and can happen to both npc and player.
Second: As I have various other OXP's that alters how damage to the player ship works, implementing different types of damage to the player within this "eye candy" oxp makes it much harder to balance the game when I install this. Having a switch to turn this feature off would be appreciated, at least by me.
Third: Well done, looks really good.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

This is very nice. It's very beautiful. I've got this in my log:

Code: Select all

23:43:00.494 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (griff_spawn_wreckage 1.1): TypeError: whom is null
23:43:00.494 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/spara/.Oolite/AddOns/CustomShieldsv08.oxp/Scripts/customshields.js, line 1348.
And I don't know if it's connected to this, but at the same time I can fly thru the coriolis station dock right to the other side. Has not happened to me before.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

spara wrote:
And I don't know if it's connected to this, but at the same time I can fly thru the coriolis station dock right to the other side. Has not happened to me before.
The OXP uses a zero-polygon model, which messes all sorts of things up in 1.76. Other symptoms may include being unable to scoop cargo, ships that you can see the sun through, and general weirdness.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

This looks like a fantastic oxp. It looks great and introduces some really interesting features.

Congratulations on a excellent piece of work.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

cim wrote:
spara wrote:
The OXP uses a zero-polygon model, which messes all sorts of things up in 1.76. Other symptoms may include being unable to scoop cargo, ships that you can see the sun through, and general weirdness.
I was under the impression that the zero-poly bug was fixed as there are still oxps out there that use the zero poly model and for this oxp I simply copied the file for my own use, I believe it was thargoid's docking oxp that I copied it from. If this bug still exists, and, just for the record I have not been seeing these myself while testing only this oxp in the AddOns, no ghost ships, seeing through ships or cargo that goes right through me, then I probably should use a one poly model. It was talked about here:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 45#p173666
If someone could please post a 1-poly model.dat so I could try it, please and thankyou. I'm not into modelling so I wouldn't know where to start to make such a thing.
spara wrote:
This is very nice. It's very beautiful. I've got this in my log:

Code: Select all

23:43:00.494 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (griff_spawn_wreckage 1.1): TypeError: whom is null
23:43:00.494 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: /home/spara/.Oolite/AddOns/CustomShieldsv08.oxp/Scripts/customshields.js, line 1348.
From the "whom is null" combined with the line 1348
I would say it is likely that an advanced shielded npc collided with (solid)wreckage spawned from that griff oxp. I guess that might be solved by inserting whom.isValid at the top of the shipTakingDamage functions.
I haven't been able to perform the docking shenanigans you have been experiencing.
Gimi wrote:
Looks very good CSOTB. Couple of questions/comments.

First: Does it alter the shield/energy/survivability of NPC's like NPC Shields by Commander McLane does.
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Second: As I have various other OXP's that alters how damage to the player ship works, implementing different types of damage to the player within this "eye candy" oxp makes it much harder to balance the game when I install this. Having a switch to turn this feature off would be appreciated, at least by me.
Third: Well done, looks really good.
Gimi, the advanced default setting creates a virtually identical shield/energy system for the npcs so that what you experience when you pilot a ship in terms of shielding and energy is the same as what they experience. All npcs have standard shields of 128/128 forward/aft and shield boosters add 128/128 and shield enhancers add 128/128 and just like the players shield system the recharge rate is 1/second or 1.5/second if they have the shield enhancer for each shield and if they have an enhancer, the energy recharge rate is 50% greater as this was standard for the way the shield enhancer worked for the npcs to begin with, probably to sort of simulate the npc having an energy unit maybe. While all this is simulated, when the ship is spawned the equipment itself is removed so things are not enhanced twice. The real change here is that when all is said and done the shield system is near identical to the player's, all advanced npcs have basic shields which will make them a little tougher but tough opponents will only have 384/384 instead of the 512 extra energy they had before, which means that if you hit a tough npc on only one of the shields you will only have to get through 384 extra shielding whereas before you would have to go through 512 extra shielding hit from any direction. In playing this countless hours, I believe the shield mechanics are now what they should have been in the core game for the npcs. No dispatching a sidewinder with a few shots but when you go up against a tough opponent, dogfighting and putting all your hits into his aft shield, you will be rewarded for your accuracy and combat flying skill. If you wish to snipe from a distance then this will be less effective for you than before, as it should be. The sniped npc will turn away from you when attacked and his energy is being drained as well and attempt to flee with his still fully charged aft shield to defend himself. It all makes so much sense this way that the advanced shield works for the npcs. I think it's very balanced and rewards combat skill while insuring all ships are not complete pushovers to be sniped easily from a distance, just like you are to them when they fight you.

For the scoopable fuel and damage effect, they will have a selector to disable them as well. I just wanted people to try this one out at this stage to see what they think of it as it applies to both player and npc, which is how the major damage effects will be when available and with a selector to turn them off if so desired.

Thanks to all that have given positive comments and feedback. I look forward to many playtest results and hope this community won't shun me for my efforts. I love what I have created here and I will never play without this oxp in my addons folder as what it adds to oolite is really what has been missing all along. This is a video game or video simulation. I'm not going to use my imagination. I want to see all the effects and wonderous cinematics and nuances that should be in my face all the time. This is what will bring oolite on par with commercial games. Any help people can give me to make this better is appreciated. Right now if you indeed have problems, I need to know. If you can help me fix them and how, I need to know that as well.

Thanks for taking an interest...
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I was intrigued by this idea as it sounded really good, so I downloaded. My interest was in this OXP, but also in how it played with a couple of mine - specifically how it would work with all the visual SFX in Smivs'Shipset v4.1, and how or if it would affect the NPC upgrades in ToughGuys, starting with 'Anarchy' level.
In a nutshell....WOW! Oolite has never looked this good. I have to say the combination of these effects with those from the shipset is awesome. They do slightly different things of course, and the two together is stunning, with each sort of filling in the gaps the other doesn't do.
The only comment I would make is that the sparking effect from CustomShields seems to be kicking in before the NPC shields are down (which is when the shipset starts switching to 'damaged' textures) but I actually like it this way better. It gives a real sense that you are slowly chewing the other ship up.
I did upload a video to youtube, but unfortunately it mucked up the colours and everything is blue! but I will try to post something there soon.
As for the compatibilty with ToughGuys, I was using the lowest level (Anarchy) and did feel that CustomShields had made the baddies a bit tougher still. Those who know me will understand that I view this as a good thing :) but I will try with the higher levels of TG as well, in particular EveryDayMayhem, which is really harsh anyway, and might become too much of a bad thing, if you follow me. Whatever, I'll report back.
Either way, this is definitely staying in AddOns for the time being.
No funny behaviour or transparent ships noted by the way.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
cim wrote:
I was under the impression that the zero-poly bug was fixed
No, sorry. One of the more obvious bugs related to zero-poly models is fixed in trunk, but I've not done enough testing there to confirm that there aren't others. (In trunk you can and should use visual effects for this sort of thing instead, so I'm not particularly interested in looking for the other bugs)

http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/~cim/oolite/dev/single.dat is a small two-poly model you can use instead in the meantime. You may need to be a little more careful with collisions between the shield flare model and the ship, but hopefully that'll do to fix it.

Zero-poly causes the 1.76.1 Oolite code to do something for which the compiler behaviour is "undefined". So the strange effects are likely to appear on some OS/hardware/compiler combinations but not others.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I've given up on YouTube for now, but have uploaded the video to Smivsonline. It is a zipped up mp4 file, so to view it you will need to download the .zip, extract it, then play it using VLC or your prefered video player (hope it works!). It's not small at 24.9MB. Download video but this has prompted me to start work on a SmivsTV page on Smivsonline. :)
You can now see the video here.
The video is raw and un-edited, and the audio does go out of sync a bit.
You'll also be able to tell how little Oolite I've played lately - I'm a bit rusty and my aim is not great! :P
NB A couple of the videos (Star-jelly demo and Ambush at Intiso) are not working yet but both are still available on my YouTube channel
Last edited by Smivs on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And I can confirm that the new visual effects work well in trunk, and will fit the bill here very nicely. I've got a re-worked beta version of Docklights on my HD at the moment (still in testing and tweaking), plus a couple of other OXPs that will also benefit from them.

But of course they're 1.77 only. There are a couple of variances to how they work compared to using a zero-poly entity, but nothing that can't be worked around or re-coded.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

CommonSenseOTB - I have also downloaded this oxp and have not come across any problems as yet. I will continue to play test and will come back to you with a more detailed report.

All I can say at this stage is that it looks like a great oxp and one that I'm sure will be very popular. Excellent work :D
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

I had issues today with not being able to scoop cargo pods or dock at any stations, not only the main station. I fly right through them. Otherwise this oxp is very well done. I especially like chasing after the fuel leaks spraying into space.

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
Agis Silverfish
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Agis Silverfish »

Looks great! Long range shots are easier, but this is compensated by the inclusion of Battle Damage, that makes the game more challenging. I have got two fuel leaks in a row. :cry:

I have noticed the fuel scoop problem, but this OXP is a must have. :)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Looks great from Smivs' video. However the bugs in it and/or in Oolite prevent this from being a must have for me. Hopefully with the support of the development team it can be something to look forward to in 1.77.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!