[Release] Penalize Death oxps

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[Release] Penalize Death oxps

Post by spara »

Hello.

I want games to be hard, like they used to be when I was young. I love oxps like BattleDamage, Breakable Standard Equipment, NPC-shiels, Second wave, DS-pirates etc.

But death does not hurt, because I can always reload and all is good again. I want to change that, I want death to hurt, so I wrote these oxps.
Penalize Death OXP ver 1.0 (5.9.2012)

Author: spara (Mika Spåra)

_Overview_

Normally, when you die, your latest save is loaded and the game goes on. This oxp changes that. With this oxp, when you die, your latest save is loaded, your credits are halved and the game goes on. This brings a whole new tension to the game. You don't want to die, it will cost you credits.

_Installing_

Install the OXP by copying PenalizeDeath_1.0_2012-09-05.oxp to your AddOns-folder.

_Usage_

* Start a game and make a save.
* Start your commander's name with the letters PD (PDJameson for example).
* Turn on autosave.
* Play some Oolite.
* End the session with Quick-Save.

If you die after autosave, you will be penalized. So it's important to end the session with Quick-Save.

_Technical_

On autosave, a missionvariable is marked to penalize. On normal Quick-Save, the missionvariable is marked not to penalize. On load missionvariable is checked.

In case of game crash or similar, it's a good idea to edit the savefile not to penalize.
Download:
https://www.box.com/s/pteihz9eiarjeuun9i1s
IronMan OXP ver 1.1 (29.9.2012)

_Overview_

Normally, when you die, your latest save is loaded and the game goes on. This oxp changes that. With this oxp, when you die, you die.
Download:

https://www.box.com/s/4b42cxcuxjigt7kvtts0
Higher Guidance OXP ver 1.0 (29.9.2012)

_Overview_

Higher guidance version of penalize death oxp, where a higher force gives you second chances, if you have killed something. Every time you have killed something, your kill count goes up by one. When you reload after autosave, your killcount is halved and rounded down. If your killcount is 0, game over. You can see the number of retrys left in your manifest. Start your name with the letters HG.
https://www.box.com/s/w3ccxevl10jbng74dhdi
Last edited by spara on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [Release] Penalize Death oxp

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
I want games to be hard, like they used to be when I was young ... But death does not hurt, because I can always reload and all is good again.
Have you tried the iron-man game? That is harsh!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Wow.............That really will make you want to keep your commander alive. :shock:

An oxp for probably the more experienced players but a great idea nevertheless. :wink:

Deciding whether or not to attack that group of pirates when your energy unit or shield boosters have been damaged will never be the same again.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

El Viejo wrote:
spara wrote:
I want games to be hard, like they used to be when I was young ... But death does not hurt, because I can always reload and all is good again.
I played the iron-man style for a while, but that was too brutal. And the temptation to load is just too much.
Cody

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
I played the iron-man style for a while, but that was too brutal. And the temptation to load is just too much.
Yeah... it's brutal alright. I often play a whole session, cruising right across the chart, without saving... that can be harsh too (and that's in an iron-assed Cobra III)!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Good idea, I like it! :)

Makes the game much more challenging when death is penalized.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Captain Beatnik wrote:
Good idea, I like it! :)

Makes the game much more challenging when death is penalized.
Thanks. Been playing the game with it for a while now and have found that the escape capsule is the most important thing on board. :lol:
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

Failed attempt at editing.

Can not find a "delete post" button.
Last edited by DeathKnyte on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

spara wrote:
Hello.

I want games to be hard, like they used to be when I was young. ...
But death does not hurt, because I can always reload and all is good again. I want to change that ...
I'm with you, but have concluded that (after a short while beyond starting a new game) credits are not that hard to come by, as the game currently stands ....

spara wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
spara wrote:
If you could make it so that death is permanent (true hardcore), by causing it to delete the previous saves - that would solve the above problem - then I'd definitely give it an honest try.

Only thing I can think of, at this point in my experience with Oolite, that would be a detriment, is when you die almost immediately after launching from a main system station.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

DeathKnyte wrote:

If you could make it so that death is permanent (true hardcore), by causing it to delete the previous saves - that would solve the above problem - then I'd definitely give it an honest try.

Only thing I can think of, at this point in my experience with Oolite, that would be a detriment, is when you die almost immediately after launching from a main system station.
A while ago I made a few variations of this theme:

1. A simple ironman version, that instead of halving your money makes your ship explode on launch.

2. Higher guidance version, where a higher force gives you second chances, if you have killed something. Every time you have killed something, your kill count goes up by one. When you reload after autosave, your killcount is halved and rounded down. If your killcount is 0, game over. You can see the number of retrys left in your manifest. Start your name with the letters HG.

3. Resurrection version. Idea is that for a 100000 credits, you can buy yourself a clone, that will be held in stasis till you die. On death, your conscience if transferred to your clone and your ship is restored. In the end, this idea was too much like an escape capsule, so I abandoned it.

If someone wants to try these versions, here they are. These have not been tested very thoroughly so they should be considered highly experimental :D .

Ironman:
https://www.box.com/s/4b42cxcuxjigt7kvtts0

Higher guidance:
https://www.box.com/s/w3ccxevl10jbng74dhdi
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DeathKnyte wrote:
Failed attempt at editing.

Can not find a "delete post" button.
You can only delete a post as long as it's the last post in the topic.

There are two ways of doing it:

1) When you visit the topic, you'll see a "Delete" button in the bottom right corner of your post, next to the "Report this post" button:
Just klick on it. You're asked whether you really want to delete. Klick "Yes".

2) Alternatively you can click on the "Edit" button. The first line in the edit-window now holds the option of deleting the post. Select it, and click "Submit".
Again, click "Yes" if you're asked whether you want to proceed.

Note again, that both ways only work as long as your post is the last one of the topic. As soon as another post has been made, you can't delete anymore.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

Commander McLane:

Acknowledged.
Thank you. :)

spara:

That is awesome, man.
I tried a few experiments, and when I die, after pressing space, every time I try to launch - my ship blows up.
Man, oh man.
I'm starting to feel like this is a real simulation.
Every; action, purchase, choice of tactics, lack of patience, during the game - can mean irrevocable death. :)
This oxp of yours, has huge potential.
< thumbs up! >

For some fine tuning now....

See in the picture below ( I figured how to put a picture here - all by myself ;) ), "trip./n/nToo" ?
I don't know what you are trying to say exactly, certainly looks like some editing needs to be done, though.

Although I have not tried the cloning version, yet; I'd say up the price to 250,000 credits for the first clone, 500,000 credits for the second, 750k for the 3rd, 1M for the 4th, etc.
Credits are easy to acquire - Make it more like your life is worth something.
;)
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

I like very much the idea, especially the "resurection" version, coupled with increased cost each time you revive as a clone.

But, new Jamesons would have a very hard time when starting new. None of them can afford a 100k Cr (or more) cost.

That cost could then be related somehow to the elite rank/kill count:
Eg: Resurection cost = ((kill count+1)*1000)

+1 in the formula so that even the harmless Jameson (with 0 kills) will pay the (minimal) cost and would still have to be carefull.

You get the idea.
Kas
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Penalize Death oxps

Post by spara »

Oh my, there's somebody out there who has tried these oxps :D . Respect to you. These oxps change the game drastically. If you want the game to be really hardcore, try Switeck's shipping oxp's adder start with the ironman oxp. You'll be dancing when you can purchase the ECM system. And somewhere in the future, if you live long enough, you can upgrade your ship to the cobra mk3.

The funny text was a leftover from previous version, sorry about that. I corrected the text and uploaded an updated version of the ironman oxp. And since there has been at least one individual :lol: who has tried these variations, I have edited the first post and added links to donwloads.

The resurrection idea felt a bit too much like Galactica so I think I have abandoned it. Althought there already is the cylon raiden oxp and the colonial viper oxp. But where is the resurrection ship?
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: [Release] Penalize Death oxps

Post by DeathKnyte »

he-he,
No, I respectfully disagree.
It doesn't change the game other than to make you think, carefully consider the decisions you make, and either reap the rewards - or suffer the consequences.
Hence; it becomes, feels, and plays - like a real game.

I'll look into that Switeck ships oxp when I have some time, thanks for the referral.

I have a Commander currently going with the Ironman version, so won't swap the oxp's till he dies, as I don't want the game to either kill him because I played with the files, or in case it mixes things up in the programming. Besides, when he dies don't matter if the text is corrected or not - lol

Concur on nixing out the resurrection option.