[NEW RELEASE] Safe Docking

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[NEW RELEASE] Safe Docking

Post by PhantorGorth »

Long time in the making but finally here:

Safe Docking

By the year 3136 GalCop had reached a point where too many pilots were committing lots of minor misdemeanours… docking whilst drunk, breaking speed limits in reduced speed zones, docking without permission, etc. Trying to set fines and penalties hadn’t reduced this ever growing problem. Their latest solution was to replace or augment the stick with a carrot, and so they took the lottery concept as used by the government of Riveis, and the concept of a loyalty reward card system, and merged them together and GalCop Rewards was born. See GalCop Rewards OXP for details. Well, you may be wondering what this has to do with this Safe Docking OXP. Poor docking was one of the main issues GalCop had with bad piloting. Safe Docking is GalCop's attempt for rewarding pilots for docking at participating stations in a safe manner and makes use of GalCop Rewards to do this.

Safe Docking allows you to earn GalCop Reward Points when you manually dock at a safe speed and without scraping the side of your ship. But this only applies at participating stations.

Nice and slow and you can earn points. Too fast, and also if you are too slow, you will be penalised. Watch out the Dockmaster can be a grumpy old b****rd! :-)

This OXP handles the points awarded and the penalties when docking and also does the Dockmaster.

Please read the documentation that comes with the OXP for all the details.

Dependencies:
GalCop Rewards OXP.
Optional: OXPConfig OXP version 2.0.10 or higher.

Download:
Safe_Docking.1.0.1.oxp.zip

Edit: Now in Wiki. Changed link to file to version 1.0.1.
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [NEW RELEASE] Safe Docking

Post by Diziet Sma »

Gah! "Rewards" and "Loyalty" cards give me the pip.. and now they've come to Oolite! :roll:

Seriously though, nice idea.. although I can think of a few Commanders here who'll have permanent negative point balances on their cards.. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Gah! "Rewards" and "Loyalty" cards give me the pip.. and now they've come to Oolite! :roll:
You can not escape even here! :lol:
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Seriously though, nice idea.. although I can think of a few Commanders here who'll have permanent negative point balances on their cards.. :twisted: :mrgreen:
It's much more fun to dock with Fuel Injectors on at full speed towards the docking point. Adds to the challenge. Although I remember when I first played Elite all those years ago (think I was like 4 or 5!) that I found docking sooo annoying and hard, I think its much easier on Oolite.
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Pleb wrote:
It's much more fun to dock with Fuel Injectors on at full speed towards the docking point. Adds to the challenge. Although I remember when I first played Elite all those years ago (think I was like 4 or 5!) that I found docking sooo annoying and hard, I think its much easier on Oolite.
Nothing to stop you doing that with this OXP only you will pay dearly (fine and bounty on your head) and much much worse p*ss off the surly Dockmaster. :D

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Pleb wrote:
It's much more fun to dock with Fuel Injectors on at full speed towards the docking point. Adds to the challenge.
Nothing to stop you doing that with this OXP only you will pay dearly (fine and bounty on your head) and much much worse p*ss off the surly Dockmaster. :D
During testing, when that happened, I just re-launched, Energy Bombed, waited for the GalCops then Q-Bombed the whole site. Not that I was annoyed or anything. :roll:

I wish I could do that at Tesco's.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

PhantorGorth wrote:
Pleb wrote:
That's fine, it can add to the long list of crimes I have commited throughout the 8 galaxies (or maybe 16 on the test version I have been playing around with, lol) 8) But I intend to check this one out as well as your GalCop Rewards OXP when I finally finish work...Roll on 4.30pm!!!
SandJ wrote:
I wish I could do that at Tesco's.
You can do it at Tescoo's :D
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

What happens if you have Docking Computers installed? Does it reward if you do a manual docking and not if you use it. If so, what happens if you use DC to line you up and then switch it off?

EDIT: should have read the wiki.
Wiki wrote:
Only manual docking counts. If you dock using a Docking Computer (both automatic or Instant docking) you will not be rewarded. Also cheating by using the Docking Computer to get you almost there and turning it off and finishing docking manually is also detected and will not count as manual docking.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

JazHaz wrote:
What happens if you have Docking Computers installed? Does it reward if you do a manual docking and not if you use it. If so, what happens if you use DC to line you up and then switch it off?

EDIT: should have read the wiki.
Wiki wrote:
Only manual docking counts. If you dock using a Docking Computer (both automatic or Instant docking) you will not be rewarded. Also cheating by using the Docking Computer to get you almost there and turning it off and finishing docking manually is also detected and will not count as manual docking.
Why do you think it took so long to write this OXP? I had to think about all the ways to cheat! :-)

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Pleb wrote:
So can we assume that for your next code-hacking trick (nice work on the 16 galaxy thing, btw), you're going to hot-wire your ship so that you can dock on full Torus Drive? :mrgreen:

"Docking at 11.2 kilometres per second*? I'd pay to see that!" :twisted:

*According to my Numeric Hud V3.0
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
So can we assume that for your next code-hacking trick (nice work on the 16 galaxy thing, btw), you're going to hot-wire your ship so that you can dock on full Torus Drive? :mrgreen:

*According to my Numeric Hud V3.0
Thank you I've always thought there had to be a way of having 16 galaxies working as they should, although I still need to run a few lots of tests!

Funilly enough though, I have figured out a way to remove the Mass-Lock warning and cut out on the Jump Drive, but it has very scary results. My first test involved my ship getting blasted into the planet, and my second involved my ship getting blasted through a Star Liner! If I ever managed to successfully figure out a way of docking at these speeds I will let you know, but don't count on it! :lol:

Edit: Perhaps if I can dock this fast I should get a special vouncher? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pleb on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
That speed reminds me at something.... escape velocity from the earth. Coincidence?
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Eric Walch wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
That speed reminds me at something.... escape velocity from the earth. Coincidence?
FTFY
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Who knows? But given B&B, and the kind of Devs we have around here, probably not a coincidence.. 8)
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

All the best with this PG. May you have many sales :D

From a test pilot whom severely annoyed the dockmaster an numerous occasions!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"