(NEW RELEASE)MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp for 1.76+

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

(NEW RELEASE)MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp for 1.76+

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

:D

After a brainstorm and less than 48hrs I'm happy to bring to you an oxp you will love! 8)

MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp allows target aquisition of multiple targets simultaneously(up to 16) by selecting categories using the n/shift+n keys. Must have the Target System Memory Expansion installed in order to have somewhere for all those target locks to be stored. The Scanner Targetting Enhancement is highly recommended for use with this equipment.

Once you've tried this, you will not want to go back. The difference is like night and day as to how you can play the game efficiently and very fast paced. Really fun and quite exciting!

Download here:(if you dare) :P

https://www.box.com/s/bfc8a3ed03ba17df3a2a

Playtest experiences and thoughts for improvement are welcome here.

:D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (NEW RELEASE)MilitaryTargettingSystemv1.oxp for 1.76+

Post by Diziet Sma »

I can see this motivating me to make much more use of my targeting memory expansion than I do ATM.

Looking forward to trying it! Thanks! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

I like this system. I took it out for a test flight and can surely find some uses for it. The only thing missing is having a Thargoid option for targetting.

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Solonar wrote:
I like this system. I took it out for a test flight and can surely find some uses for it. The only thing missing is having a Thargoid option for targetting.
:)

The targetting category "Hostiles" includes thargoids, as they are always hostile anyway. :wink:

Thanks for testing Solonar. Glad you like it. I love it. Personally, I don't think I'm going to be able to go back to the "old" way of target aquisition only by aiming with the ship and establishing a lock for each target one at a time. The time I save is now spent browsing the targets which greatly improves my situational awareness.

This oxp now falls under essential equipment for me. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Downloaded it and installed. Thanks for the new oxp. Now i'm docked at Leesti, should this equipment appear for buyng? It did't appear to me here (Oolite 1.76, Ubuntu)

Thanks
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

marcusrg wrote:
Downloaded it and installed. Thanks for the new oxp. Now i'm docked at Leesti, should this equipment appear for buyng? It did't appear to me here (Oolite 1.76, Ubuntu)

Thanks
:lol:

My apologies, tech level not listed in the readme. The number on the equipment.plist listing is 12. So I guess that's a tech level 12 or 13 system to find it available for purchase. Yeah, that military stuff is kinda' high tech for sure. Might have to travel a little bit to find it. :)

Happy hunting! :D

WIKI+OXPs
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The 12, code for Tech Level found in the equipment.plist file means Tech Level 13 and up worlds. 0 actually means TL 1.
Tech Level 13-15 worlds are actually rather uncommon. There's only 1 within 14 LY of Lave.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

REALLY useful! :D

However, as soon as someone thanks you for helping out the lock goes straight onto them. :(
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Thanks, CommonSense! Going to hunt it! :)
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Tricky wrote:

However, as soon as someone thanks you for helping out the lock goes straight onto them. :(
Excellent feedback Tricky, I'm happy you find this oxp "really useful". Sometimes the best solution is just to kill'em all! :evil:

"Honest officer, my targetting system made me kill'em. Was just trying to help him out when he "thanked" me and my target lock switched just before I fired off that missile." :P

No, but seriously, I'll put that on my list of things to check on. Hadn't noticed anything when testing but I was always scrolling through targets and categories to find what I want constantly that I never thought to look for that behaviour. Might be something I can do to reinstitute a previous lock when a comms message event happens and the current target is not the same as the last one before the event. In the meantime I guess maybe perhaps just bare with it and scroll through the targets to find your original target when that happens. :wink:

I guess that'll teach you to help out a trader in distress, eh? :lol:

WIKI+OXPs
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Tricky wrote:

Excellent feedback Tricky, I'm happy you find this oxp "really useful". Sometimes the best solution is just to kill'em all! :evil:

"Honest officer, my targetting system made me kill'em. Was just trying to help him out when he "thanked" me and my target lock switched just before I fired off that missile." :P
Meant that I really like the OXP. Just marred by that one thing. I actually just press 'n' as soon as I see the message. It seems to pick the correct target. :twisted:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I guess that'll teach you to help out a trader in distress, eh? :lol:
As it says on the wiki for my commander...
Interests - Ridding the space lanes of scum
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Tricky wrote:
Meant that I really like the OXP. Just marred by that one thing. I actually just press 'n' as soon as I see the message. It seems to pick the correct target. :twisted:
Oh... :lol:
Interests - Ridding the space lanes of scum
Well, carry on then. 8)

WIKI+OXPs
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Thinking about it, I have Thargoid's Target Autolock Plus installed. Just wondering if that is conflicting. It never switched before. Going to take it out and check.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Tricky wrote:
Thinking about it, I have Thargoid's Target Autolock Plus installed. Just wondering if that is conflicting. It never switched before. Going to take it out and check.
There's some ungrateful traders out there. :evil:

After finding a polite trader it didn't switch, when I put it back in (more ungrateful traders to wade through) the target switched to the polite trader.

---- EDIT ----

Actually it isn't Target Autolock at all. Still does it without the Target Autolock OXP installed.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

TAP+ will only lock onto a hostile target and then only if you have no target already set.

As you say the scenario is wrong for it to be coming into play.