Damn stupid idea: Asteroids - the video game!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Damn stupid idea: Asteroids - the video game!

Post by SandJ »

An idea for an OXP that is activated by the shift-N business.

When activated, a bunch of asteroids appear within scanner range, moving randomly. If any of them move out of scanner range, they re-appear on the opposite edge on the same vector (same direction and velocity). As the asteroids are shot into boulders, the boulders exhibit the same behaviour and ditto for the splinters.

Eventually, all the splinters are scooped or shot: then suddenly more asteroids appear but more than the first time and moving slightly faster. And when they are all wiped out, even more, faster ones appear. And so on, thereby increasing the difficulty level.

There you have it: Asteroids the video game ... as a 3D 1st person shooter! Image

For version 1.1 ... a little Thargoid appears at the edge of scanner range and wanders along, shooting randomly in the general direction of the player, until it witchspaces out at the far end.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Damn stupid idea: Asteroids - the video game!

Post by Commander McLane »

A few questions: What about the fact that the scanner doesn't represent a fixed area (like in the original Asteroids) but moves together with the player?

Would a collision with an asteroid or boulder result in the immediate death of the player?

What about the various power-ups, for instance shields?

These would need some thoughts, but it all sounds eminently doable. It's really all about keeping track of the position of all these entities relative to the player ship, and then simply re-locate them to (-x,-y,-z) relative to the player ship if their distance becomes > 25600. Basically all that's needed is a ship script with a timer that does exactly this for each of the asteroids, boulders, and splinters. The objects would also need higher velocities than their standard counterparts. But that's basically it.

I like the idea. :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I like the Asteroids game (always have done) - I often play it for ten minutes to chill after a heavy session along the 'lanes!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Commander McLane wrote:
What about the fact that the scanner doesn't represent a fixed area (like in the original Asteroids) but moves together with the player?
I know, it's great, innit? Whereas in the video game the ship moved around the screen, in the Oolite version the player is always in the centre. If you fly fast in a straight line, the asteroids will behave a bit like the Hired Guns wingmen and will behave a little oddly, but that will suffice as the Hyperspace function. They will be all over you again as soon as you slow down again. Docking will be fun at that point!

(You're supposed to do this in clear space, but who cares if you don't? Activating it near a Seedy Space bar would be fun!)
Commander McLane wrote:
Would a collision with an asteroid or boulder result in the immediate death of the player?
I originally thought not, although as the asteroids get faster at harder levels, eventually life will get unpleasant. I suppose there could be heavier asteroids at harder levels that do more damage.
Commander McLane wrote:
What about the various power-ups, for instance shields?
You get to play in your own ship, as it is.
Commander McLane wrote:
The objects would also need higher velocities than their standard counterparts.
They don't even need that at the very first level, just the subsequent levels.

The hardest part of it all would be making the wibbly-wibbly-wibbly-wibbly sound of the little space ship that randomly appears.

Important points: the asteroids must still pay you credits for shooting them, and the splinters can be scooped as normal.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
I like the idea. :D
Heck.. I love the idea! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

We all love 'Asteroids' :D although the ship's motion is a bit (ahem) Newtonian :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Simple extension to the idea - centre the asteroid "sphere" around an (invisible) marker buoy entity (like the ones used in Tracker OXP for example) then you don't need to worry about player movement. And indeed if they go outside the "game sphere" then they can get a warning of doing so and if they don't return back inside within a time period then the game resets...
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Good idea SandJ. Here's another one: :idea: instead of having the asteroids follow you, when you start the "game" have it note the position of the player and when he gets out of the defined "cube" simply change the players positon to the otherside of the "cube" of the play area and have a console message warning"Edge of screen...Caution!". :)

And while you're at it, actually make it a video game at the station that you activate by purchasing the "Asteroids Video Game". Doing so switches your ship to an appropriate vessel and launches you and positions you way out in space on the other side of the sun or somewhere far. The asteroids appear and while the game is playing, have the duh duh music playing in the background. As soon as you get down below a set energy level the game ends and you are transported back to dock with the station and your ship is changed back to normal and a high score is posted in mission information with a mission variable.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

I like the idea.....I toyed with the idea of Oolite Space Invaders a while back....https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p149457.

If someone could make a big hollowed out Asteroid Oolite Scramble would be good.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

How about combining the racing rings with scoopable "pills" and pursuing ghost ships for Pacman in Spaaaace! Power-pills could be q-bombs ... :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Back to topic:

Voilà, a test case. (Link disabled, because outdated. Get the latest test version from the link below.)

Guild of test pilots, to the launch bays! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Commander McLane on Wed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Commander McLane wrote:
Back to topic:

Voilà, a test case.

Guild of test pilots, to the launch bays! :mrgreen:
You people are mad..., but in a very very very good way. Thank you very much McLane, and my wife is not amused. :D
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

New and improved test case (v 0.92) available through the guild of test pilots.
Cody

Post by Cody »

McLane - I can't seem to find this OXP anymore. Do you have a link for it?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I'm about to release the final version and have pulled the links to the test versions.

So I'm asking for just a little more patience. :)