Smivs'Shipset v4.x

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Smivs'Shipset v4.x

Post by Smivs »

Update Release v4.2 is now available (25th April, 2013). Graphical improvements to Thargoids. Improvements and minor bugfixes to code. See this post for full details.

Smivs Industries is pleased to announce the launch of Smivs'Shipset v4.0.
My shipset has always been innovative - v2 was the first non-shader set to employ light-maps, and v3 introduced the Player Cobra 3 custom skin kit. So how do you follow things like that?
Well, the whole purpose of a re-texture set is to make the game look better but there is only so far you can go with re-texturing alone. So v4.0 features some revolutionary visual effects which will transform the way you see the game. I hope you like it.

Smivs'Shipset v4.0 is the first Oolite ship set with dynamic textures which change in game to show NPC damage during combat. If you or an NPC shoot-up another ship to the point where its shields fail and it starts throwing sparks, the texture is changed 'on the fly' to one with visible damage - you will actually see laser scoring and holes punched in the hull.
If the ship under attack has an escape capsule and the pilot ejects, the ship will then go derelict. As the reactor shuts down the engine glow fades and the ship starts to tumble gently in space. As it tumbles, it loses all power. The interior and external lights fade out, and finally the ship loses its strobing navigation lights leaving it dead and dark, a lifeless hulk adrift in space at your mercy.

Click on the image for full size version (2300x500px)

Another exciting visual feature of v4.0 is enhanced death effects. Normally, when you kill another ship you get a brief and rather weedy little flash. With Smivs'Shipset v4.0 when a ship is destroyed, it will explode dramatically, and for a split second you may even see large chunks of burning wreckage before they also explode.
The original 'core' models have been retained for authenticity as before, but they now have gun and engine sub-entities. These are fairly un-sophisticated, but I think they fit in nicely with the somewhat basic core models and really make them look a lot better.
The actual textures are largely carried over from v3 but many have been improved with extra detailing, and I have added a second Asp texture. There are now over 40 different ship textures in the set.
Smivs'Shipset v4.0 retains the kit which allows you to make a custom texture for the player Cobra 3. This is a very easy process and will allow you to personalise your own Cobra 3 if you want to. Full instructions are included.

Full details of the OXP with screenshots of all the ship varieties, along with downloads can be found here on 'smivsonline'.

Responding to Capt Murphy's suggestion I have also re-formatted the OXP so there are now 'replace' and 'add' versions depending on whether you just want to replace the default textures or add my ships to the default ships and/or other shipsets.
Unfortunately, due to the increasing complexity of the shipset, I have made the decision to drop the 'Basic' version. This was always the least popular, with barely over 100 downloads for v3, so I hope it won't be missed too much. v4.0 is available with Standard Definition and High Definition textures. The SD is suitable for computers with on-board graphics and the HD is ideal for computers with dedicated graphics cards.

There are credits in the readme, but I must just mention Capt Murphy here. When he heard I was working on v4.0 and intended to produce 'replace' and 'add' versions, he offered to check it out for me and test the new features.
While everything was basically working well, he realised that my scripting was a little overblown and offered to trim it for me. He took my bloatware of over 30 shipscripts and reduced them down to just one elegent unified script. And everything works better as well! Thank you, Capt Murphy.
Last edited by Smivs on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Re: [NEW RELEASE] Smivs'Shipset v4.0.

Post by OneoftheLost »

Smiv's you magnificent pumpkin! This is truly epic. I've always wanted to see damage on the enemy ships as I slowly take them apart. Whats more, I've been using your ship-set since 2.0 and love it. This is truly awesome. I think it will REALLY add to the immersion of the game. Currently downloading the HD now, but I had a question, its rather early in the morning, so I may have read it wrong, but is it possible to have say... the damaged texture as a default on my cobbie? I would love to have that just battered and torn look.

Anyway, thanks again for such awesome work! Keep it up!

*EDIT* Oh and the engines look great! I like 'em
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Smiv's you magnificent pumpkin! This is truly epic. I've always wanted to see damage on the enemy ships as I slowly take them apart. Whats more, I've been using your ship-set since 2.0 and love it. This is truly awesome. I think it will REALLY add to the immersion of the game. Currently downloading the HD now, but I had a question, its rather early in the morning, so I may have read it wrong, but is it possible to have say... the damaged texture as a default on my cobbie? I would love to have that just battered and torn look.

Anyway, thanks again for such awesome work! Keep it up!
Hi, I hope it lives up to your expectations.
You can have a shot-up Cobra, yes. You will need to replace the current 'player' texture. Take a look in the Textures folder, and copy the 'smivs'-cobra3-damaged.png' (or the 'alternate' or 'pirate' ones if you prefer). Rename the copy 'smivs'-player-cobra3.png' and you'll have a less-than-pristine Cobra :) You will be prompted that you're over-writing an existing file, but that's OK.

Edited to add:- You might need to delete the original 'smivs'-player-cobra3.png' texture first, before you re-name your copy. Also, this will make all the shipyard Cobra 3's into the damaged one. Not much we cam do about that.
Last edited by Smivs on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Ah, Ok, thanks! 8)
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow!. The new features sounds cool. Must try that out! It is now early morning when I write this so first get some sleep and download it in the afternoon :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

A really impressive work! :D Downloading!

Thanks for this, Smivs

Best regards

C.B.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Nice work Smivs. Thought I saw something new about your ships in discussion thread. Downloading now...
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

The thargoids strike again! :shock:

I have discovered a nasty code manipulation by the bugs in the shipdata.plist. As always, the manipulation ist hidden and seems to affect only Imac systems. The thargoids seem to hate Imac systems for yet unknown reasons.

But there is hope! Here is a instruction to fix the bugs manipulation in the SSv4-SD-replace.oxp:

1. Open the shipdata.plist with an editor

2. search for the entry in line 2712

Code: Select all

color = { hue = 120.0 };
3. add a semicolon after the number 120.0

color = { hue = 120.0; };
4. Do the same in the lines
2721, 2730, 2739, 2748, 2757, 2766, 2775, 2784, 2793, 2802, 2811, 2820, 2829, 2838, 2847, 2856, 2865, 2874, and 2883.

5. search for the entry in line 4529

subentities =   
6. Delete that entry

7. Save the shipdata.plist

Doing so, you should have defeated the nasty plans of the bugs and the shipset should now work fine on your imac system. It does on mine.

Best regards

C.B.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Erk!
<Smivs mutters something about Thargoids>
Thanks for the heads-up, and solution Capt Beatnik. It's nearly midnight, but I'll look at that tomorrow and upload a bugfix then.
Cheers,
Smivs.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

(Hopefully) sorted out.
I've uploaded corrections this morning. As it's just a little bugfix I haven't changed the version number.
There is no need to re-download unless you have a mac and this problem was affecting you.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

This sounds very cool Smivs! We'll be calling you SmivsOTB pretty soon I guess! :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I like the ships, but I think there's a slight bug - if you blow up a Fugitive while the police are watching, and hold down the laser a second too long, you risk blowing up some of the Clean debris objects produced, which the police really do not approve of.

(At least, I'm pretty sure that's why I got an Offender rating after blowing up a couple of your pirates, and there doesn't appear to be anything in shipdata on the debris objects to say that they're legal to shoot at)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I think you have a point there...I didn't see that one coming!
v4.1 is now available for download...I've given the debris a scan_class of no-draw which should overcome this problem.
I'll get the documentation updated later tonight. Wiki and smivsonline updated.
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Hmm, laser kills not being counted now. Haven't tested missiles, railgun, or ramming yet. Bed time.

Edit: & yeah, it's v4.1.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

A quick test this morning did not show this. Using v4.1 SD replace laser hits were counting as kills. Do you have any further information that might be relevant, as I cannot reproduce this.
I did however notice that wreckage kills are also counted as kills which is not what I intended. This might need a further tweak to sort out, so watch this space.