Split: TAF Reset OXP [plus assorted wacky stuff...]

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Split: TAF Reset OXP [plus assorted wacky stuff...]

Post by sdrubble »

snork wrote:
sdrubble, that is really interesting, I did not know there is some auto-reset-TAF.
Without some auto-reset I can not use TAF, as I am flying on gamepad, and I try to use the keyboard only when there is no action to expect.
But my main doubt about it is, if it won't spoil my game experience. Like an atuomatic, always-on Go-pass-Go,-collect-200$ ! card.

I am ok wiith things taking their time, or being difficult in-game. To me, it raises, hm, my dedication.
Interesting... in the past few weeks, it seems it's the 3rd time that The Architect intrudes in my Oolite musings in this Forum. This time around, with his quote:
The Architect wrote:
It's all about choice! :mrgreen:
So indeed, the choice is yours... as to me, I'm not easily swayed by others' warnings and opinions warranting that this overpowered tool here or that uber ship there will spoil my gaming experience. Gaming is having FUN... which includes total freedom to experiment with available options and, in the specific case of Oolite, to tinker and create some additional options of your own. You can later revert anything that's not to your liking... unless, of course, you fear and anticipate becoming trapped into some evil addiction to some spoiling feature that might hook yourself forever into whatever hell of "wrong" gaming. :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

In any case - and I think all of this is not really [totally at least... :wink: ] offtopic in this thread, so...

1. The original and barebones TAF Reset is available for download HERE . No forum thread, no Wiki page, only a simple entry in the OXP list page.

2. And below is my expanded version of the single script within TAF Reset OXP. Other than a single mention to the author's name, there's no copyright or licensing terms within the original OXP files, so I guess it's OK to publish this ripoff right here:

Code: Select all

this.name        = "TAF_reset"; 
this.author      = "Wyvern + sdrubble"; 
this.copyright   = "Whatever"; 
this.description = "defines functions & events where TAF's value is reset to some pre-defined value."; 
this.version     = "2011.11.10"; 

// the 4 initial lines comprise Wyvern's original script...

this.shipDockedWithStation = function()
{
        timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0;
}
	// experimental code below was borrowed from sdrubble's modified MilHUD OXP...

this.shipExitedWitchspace = function()
{
}

this.alertConditionChanged = function(newCondition, oldCondition)
   {
   switch(newCondition)
      {

case 0: // we're docked - DOES NOT KICK IN WHEN LOADING GAME - only when we RE-DOCK !!!
         {
		 timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0; // Insure TAF is off when docked.
         break;
         }

case 1: // we're at green alert "can JUMP right now"
         {
         timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0; // Just became GREEN , ensure TAF is back to 1.0 whatever its previous value was.          // 
         break;
         }
//
      case 2: // we're at yellow alert "mass locked - slow down and take a look around"
         {
  	     timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0; // Just became YELLOW, ensure TAF is back to 1.0 whatever its previous value was.          // 
         break;
         }
//
      case 3: // we're at red alert...
         {
         if(player.alertHostiles) // ...and under attack
            {
			timeAccelerationFactor = 0.5; // We like to FIGHT AT HALF-SPEED...                                                 	   // 
            }
         break;
         }
      }
   }
And don't forget it might be a bit incompatible with MilHUD (which IIRC contains more or less the same code).

You might notice that, as per my coding, TAF resets to 0.5 whenever the status level becomes red. That's the way I fight my battles, with full enjoyment regardless of folkspeak... I'm totally an anti-adrenaline person, and with that I get to enjoy my battles for twice the normal time of everyone else. :lol:

Voilá, you have now the required elements to exercise your choice. Be wise and, above all, have fun. :D

Cheers :wink:
Last edited by sdrubble on Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Zeke Mining Transporter 0.1.1

Post by Wildeblood »

sdrubble wrote:
1. The original and barebones TAF Reset is available for download HERE . No forum thread, no Wiki page, only a simple entry in the OXP list page.

2. And below is my expanded version of the single script within TAF Reset OXP. Other than a single mention to the author's name, there's no copyright or licensing terms within the original OXP files, so I guess it's OK to publish this ripoff right here:

this.author      = "Wyvern + sdrubble"; 
this.copyright   = "Whatever"; 
this.description = "defines functions & events where TAF's value is reset to some pre-defined value."; 
this.version     = "2011.11.10"; 

// the 4 initial lines comprise Wyvern's original script...

this.shipDockedWithStation = function()
{
}
	// experimental code below was borrowed from sdrubble's modified MilHUD OXP...

this.shipExitedWitchspace = function()
{
}

this.alertConditionChanged = function(newCondition, oldCondition)
   {
   switch(newCondition)
      {

case 0: // we're docked - DOES NOT KICK IN WHEN LOADING GAME - only when we RE-DOCK !!!
         {
		 timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0; // Insure TAF is off when docked.
         break;
         }

case 1: // we're at green alert "can JUMP right now"
         {
         timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0; // Just became GREEN , ensure TAF is back to 1.0 whatever its previous value was.          // 
         break;
         }
//
      case 2: // we're at yellow alert "mass locked - slow down and take a look around"
         {
  	     timeAccelerationFactor = 1.0; // Just became YELLOW, ensure TAF is back to 1.0 whatever its previous value was.          // 
         break;
         }
//
      case 3: // we're at red alert...
         {
         if(player.alertHostiles) // ...and under attack
            {
			timeAccelerationFactor = 0.5; // We like to FIGHT AT HALF-SPEED...                                                 	   // 
            }
         break;
         }
      }
   }
And don't forget it might be a bit incompatible with MilHUD (which IIRC contains more or less the same code).
(It contains more or less the same spelling mistake, too. The word you, or Wyvern, were after was ensure - in every instance.)
Is there any reason this (untested) code won't do exactly the same as yours above?

this.author      = "Wildeblood";
this.description = "We like to FIGHT AT HALF-SPEED..."; 
this.version     = "1.0"; 

this.alertConditionChanged = function()
    {
    if (player.alertHostiles) timeAccelerationFactor = 0.5;
    }
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Wildeblood wrote:
(It contains more or less the same spelling mistake, too. The word you, or Wyvern, were after was ensure - in every instance.)
Hehe, I'm sure we can always count on you to proofread our works. :lol: In the case of *nsure above, I simply acted as the uncaring copy-paster from MH 3.5, so that I can claim innocence on the offending matter. :wink:
Is there any reason this (untested) code won't do exactly the same as yours above?
The way you've phrased your question leads to 2 alternative interpretations, therefore I'll give 2 alternative replies... so you can freely pick the appropriate one. :twisted:

1. Sorry, as I'm just a copy-paster and not a real coder, I can't help you with your non-working code. :( HINT: I wouldn't have thought of this interpretation if you'd stated wouldn't instead of won't. Not being a native speaker myself allows me to find such alternative [mis]interpretations. :mrgreen:

2. What your code lacks, when compared to mine / Wyvern's, [I think...] is seemingly the possibility of independently tweaking the values for cases 0, 1 and 2. As it stands now, with all options repeating "TAF=1.0", I agree that some of the statements are indeed redundant; however, I find that, just I'm writing this, you've inspired me to set TAF=0.12 for case 0, so that I can save some game time when exploring options when docked... and therefore gain some reasonable time when running missions with deadlines to meet. :D

Cheers :wink:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

sdrubble wrote:
Technically, quite the opposite. Where no specific Copyright or usage is stated THE MOST RESTRICTIVE conditions should apply, not the least. In this case, the most restrictive conditions would prevent your copy/paste/hack.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Wildeblood wrote:

this.author      = "Wildeblood";
this.description = "We like to FIGHT AT HALF-SPEED..."; 
this.version     = "1.0"; 

{
    if (player.alertHostiles) timeAccelerationFactor = 0.5;
    }
No.

Also

{
    timeAccelerationFactor = player.alertHostiles ? 0.5 : 1.0;
    }
does exactly the same thing... :D

But the polite thing would be not to eliminate the previous authors' names from the this.author attribute... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Kaks wrote:
But the polite thing would be not to eliminate the previous authors' names from the this.author attribute... ;)
The previous author(s) authored the previously quoted bloatware, why would I put someone else's name on something they didn't write? You seem to be suffering Applethink, Kaks.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Is this a problem with or related to Zeke Mining Transporter OXP?
(Maybe some of this needs to be split off into its own thread?)
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
sdrubble wrote:
Technically, quite the opposite. Where no specific Copyright or usage is stated THE MOST RESTRICTIVE conditions should apply, not the least. In this case, the most restrictive conditions would prevent your copy/paste/hack.
Mmmm... DH, thx. Would you pls offer your thoughts on these 2 items below ?

1. Where can I read the most restrictive conditions ?

2. I suppose I should then edit my previous post and remove the code snippet ? [As you started your sentence with "Technically..." I'm inclined to believe that *MAYBE* it's not Really that important...]
Kaks wrote:
Mind you, in the ORIGINAL TAF Reset OXP there is NO this.author entry.
Wildeblood wrote:
The previous author(s) authored the previously quoted bloatware, why would I put someone else's name on something they didn't write?
I must be getting a bit [more ?] senile these days... :| but I must confess I couldn't really grasp the meaning of this statement, even after reading it five times. :shock: Oh, whatever... 8)
Switeck wrote:
Is this a problem with or related to Zeke Mining Transporter OXP?
(Maybe some of this needs to be split off into its own thread?)
Fully agreed... and the split should start with my first post in this thread (while still leaving here the interspersed ones from snork and Micha). :roll:

For the split thread name, I'd suggest something like "TAF Reset, unrequested proofreading, scripting tricks, licensing terms and assorted pOolite insults". :mrgreen:

Cheers, everybody !!! :D
EDIT: included a reference to snork's posts.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Under UK law, the author owns, in its entirety the copyright of what they produce, exclusively, unless they grant usage via a license agreement.

If there is no license, you have no rights whatsoever to assume that you can take that work and either copy it or create a derivative work that contains large portions of that original work.

You do so at your own risk. If the original author comes along in a week, month or ten years time and says "you thieving toad - see you in court" - they have every right to do so.

I said technically, because, Oolite itself is already in a grey area of copyright and all work is for non-profit (to keep David Braben and Frontier happy) - so it probably wouldn't get to court because there's no "loss of earnings" (a major reason why copyright infringements DO go to court in the UK).

That's why Ahruman has always made a point of insisting that some form of license is included (even if it's a hyperlink to the right bit of the Creative Commons website) - but Ahruman's advice is often ignored and we end up with these situations - broken code that needs fixing, or tweaked to keep up with Oolite internal changes, or has been orphaned because the original creator has dropped off the forum, all of which, for a non-licensed piece of OXP (technically) cannot happen...
Selezen wrote:
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Under UK law...
I said technically, because...
Thx a lot DH - that's a quite clear explanation. :D

I guess I can leave things as they are, since AFAIK the author is known (Cmdr Wyvern), he's frequently around the forum, and has already publicly stated (HERE) this:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
The (unwritten) license on all my creations is "go ahead and tweak, reuse, remix, whatever all you like, but never sell it, and be so kind as to drop me some credit if you remake it into something else."
... requests which I believe to have fulfilled. :roll:

Interestingly enough (I just found this): my additions to TAF Reset come from MilHUD 3.4 (which was published by the same Cmdr Wyvern), but where the script has a different author (Thargoid) and bears these lines:

this.name                 = "MilHUDswitch";
this.author               = "Thargoid";
this.copyright            = "Do what you want with it";
8)

Cheers :D
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Wildeblood wrote:
Kaks wrote:
The previous author(s) authored the previously quoted bloatware, why would I put someone else's name on something they didn't write? You seem to be suffering Applethink, Kaks.
What a very sensible answer, if not for the fact that you gave the impression you improved on someone else's code.
When you improve on someone else's code, it is customary to at least mention whose work you improved upon.

I might well be very, very wrong (surprise! ;)), but a lot of OXP stuff seems to be released under some variation of the attribution non-commercial share alike concept, which - as far as I can tell - sdrubble has been following quite scrupulously.

In case I'm mistaken, it's simply amazing that you just happened to develop an (untested) totally unrelated piece of code that did the same as what sdrubble posted, and with exactly the same this.name attribute...

One thing I did find amusing was you disassociating your name from 'bloatware'.
The body of your alertConditionChanged had twice as many lines than mine. Does it mean it's bloatware? Will you distance yourself from that? I hope not! :lol:

Take care, and let's keep things friendly! ;)

PS: try as I might, I simply couldn't figure out what you meant by applethink... the powers of google clearly failed me! Oh well, never mind, eh? :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

sdrubble wrote:
Interestingly enough (I just found this): my additions to TAF Reset come from MilHUD 3.4 (which was published by the same Cmdr Wyvern), but where the script has a different author (Thargoid) and bears these lines:

this.name                 = "MilHUDswitch";
this.author               = "Thargoid";
this.copyright            = "Do what you want with it";
8)

Cheers :D
Allow me to fill in the background a little. I wrote the original and quite basic script for Killer Wolf, who wrote the original switching HUD OXP. I gave him the script to do as he wanted with it (as per the copyright label), which he left as-was.

That script was then built on by various people in the other switching HUDs that are around, including the milHUD. So this version of the script isn't the one I wrote, but a derivative of it. This is also why there are some conflicts in it with other OXPs, as recently resolved by Wildeblood with his new script.

As I have no interest in creating a HUD OXP I have no desire to much with the script myself, hence anyone can do as they want with it and build on it as they desire.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Split: TAF Reset OXP

Post by another_commander »

Split TAF Reset OXP discussion from the Zeke Mining Transporter 0.1.1 thread.
DaddyHoggy

Re: Split: TAF Reset OXP

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
Split TAF Reset OXP discussion from the Zeke Mining Transporter 0.1.1 thread.
Good - we can now decoy this sub-thread so it doesn't match its title either...
Selezen wrote:
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Kaks wrote:
... some variation of the attribution non-commercial share alike concept, which - as far as I can tell - sdrubble has been following quite scrupulously.
Well, thx for telling me that I'm following something that I haven't got the faintest idea about... :shock: and * scrupulously * , to beat!!! :lol:
Take care, and let's keep things friendly! ;)
Watching people politely throwing stones at each other - and sometimes adding myself to the fray - surely beats playing Oolite for fun.

Isn't this really the friendliest funniest board, etc... :lol:

try as I might, I simply couldn't figure out what you meant by applethink... the powers of google clearly failed me! :D
Well, at least it's good to learn that I'm not left alone at not understanding some of WB's statements. :P But in this case I can tell you, Kaks, that you surely didn't use the right Google incantation. For the same Google brought me this:

As you can see, a good applethink can make history !!! :twisted:

Cheers :mrgreen: