Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] MilHUD 4000

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[RELEASE] MilHUD 4000

Post by Wildeblood »

M4000 READ ME wrote:
MilHUD 4000 OXP ver. 1.1.2

Date: June 29th, 2012
Author: Wildeblood

This is MilHUD 4000*, my modified version of Cmdr Wyvern's Milspec HUD. M4000 looks like the familiar MilHUD, but is somewhat different "under the bonnet". The differences eliminate arbitrary HUD switching while in flight, and allow M4000 to co-exist better with other OXPs. There are also a few new features MilHUD doesn't have, but nothing I believe deviates from the MilHUD Way.

To use, Place the MilHUD 4000 OXP into your "AddOns" folder, and remove any other HUD OXPs. Also remove any OXPs which announce beacons, such as Talkative Space Compass OXP; when cycling the Advanced Space Compass through beacon mode, M4000 will announce full beacon codes.

M4000 comes with a variable brightness high-contrast centre patch which can be adjusted on the fly from within the game, with no need to shut down Oolite, edit configuration files, and re-start the game. Cycle the Advanced Space Compass to "Sun Mode", then press N (shift n) until "Adjust MilHUD 4000 Contrast" appears on screen. Press n to alter the contrast of the central higher-contrast patch between low, medium or high contrast. Your new setting should take effect immediately. You can change the contrast setting at any time while in flight, except if the ASC is damaged.

M4000 will detect the use of Police Scanner Upgrade OXP, and if the player has purchased the upgraded scanner, will change to a special police scanner colour that de-emphasises police vessels and maximizes visibility of civillian vessels on the scanner.

Also, for a bit more of a combat challenge, the scanner can be temporarily damaged during combat, and will blank out, but will reset itself automatically once combat is over (assuming the player survives). This feature might not appeal to all players, so M4000 includes a hidden setting to over-ride it, again adjustable from within the game with no need to edit files. (Launch from the station and immediately target the navigation buoy, then cycle the Advanced Space Compass to "Sun Mode". As well as the contrast adjuster described above, a second item titled "MilHUD 4000 Radar Scanner" will appear on the N-key menu.)

* 4000 = four K = fork. Get it?
Download MilHUD 4000 OXP here.

Compass in beacons mode, beacon codes are announced. (Condition green, no other vessels in scanner range.)

Compass in sun mode, contraster can be adjusted. (Yellow alert on civilian scanner.)

Yellow alert with police scanner upgrade.

Red alert.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: [RELEASE] MilHUD 4000

Post by maik »

Added to [wiki]OXP List[/wiki]
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Sniper Sight READ ME wrote:
MilHUD 4000 Sniper Sight OXP ver. 1.77 M4000

Date: January 3rd, 2012

Place the Sniper Sight OXP - "MilHUD 4000 Sniper Sight (1.77).oxp" - into your "AddOns" folder. This version is FOR USE WITH MilHUD 4000 ONLY.

Head to a planet of technical level 10 or above, where you can purchase the Sniper Sight from the ship outfitters. Sniper Sight requires the Advanced Space Compass to function, and will not be offered in the ship outfitters if you do not already have the ASC.

To use the Sniper Sight, first target a distant asteroid normally using the ident computer, then cycle through your Advanced Space Compass to "target mode". Sniper Sight will appear and facilitate more accurate targeting. Please use responsibly - Wildefire Systems does not endorse or condone hostility between spacefarers.

The Wildefire Systems Type 1C Gunsight (a.k.a. Sniper Sight) is the Ooniverse's most customizable high-precision gunsight, however there is no need to edit files to enjoy this high level of user-customization. All of Sniper Sight's configuration options are easily set using in-game menus, and can be changed on the fly.

Sniper Sight Configuration

You can change the configuration settings only while Sniper Sight is in use.

Press N (shift-n) until "Gunsight Size" appears on screen.
Press n to switch between the several different sized sights available, or to switch it off completely. Your new setting should take effect immediately.

Then press N until "Gunsight Centre" appears on screen.
Press n to switch on the centre mark. Pressing repeatedly will vary the mark through several different sizes, before switching it off again.

Then press N until "Gunsight Opacity" appears on screen.
Press n to alter the transparency between 33%, 40% or 50% opacity. Your new setting should take effect immediately.

Then press N until "Gunsight Contrast" appears on screen.
Press n to alter the contrast of the central higher-contrast patch between low, medium or high contrast. Your new setting should take effect immediately.

Then press N until "Gunsight Reticle" appears on screen.
Press n to switch the supplementary reticle (a.k.a. Scanner Targeting Enhancement) on or off. Use of the reticle in Sniper Sight is completely independant of whether you have purchased Scanner Targeting Enhancement for general use.

Then press N until "Gunsight Camera" appears on screen.
Press n to enable the gunsight camera. While the camera is enabled, Sniper Sight will automatically keep a photographic record of all asteroids successfully destroyed. (Image files will be stored in the folder "oolite.app/oolite-saves/snapshots/" on Windows computers.)

Then press N until "Gunsight Centre Colour" appears on screen.
Press n to switch the square centre mark from green to yellow.
About to destroy a navaid and become a fugitive. (Yellow alert, with police scanner upgrade.)

Edited to remove download link; please see version 2 below.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Interesting. What are the differences between MilHUD and MilHUD 4000? Can we have a comparison table please?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

JazHaz wrote:
Interesting. What are the differences between MilHUD and MilHUD 4000? Can we have a comparison table please?
:?:

The Readme included in the original and subsequent posts seems to be fairly in depth...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

JazHaz wrote:
The differences eliminate arbitrary HUD switching while in flight, and allow M4000 to co-exist better with other OXPs.

When cycling the Advanced Space Compass through beacon mode, M4000 will announce full beacon codes (first image above).

M4000 comes with a variable brightness high-contrast centre patch which can be adjusted on the fly from within the game (second image above).

M4000 will detect the use of Police Scanner Upgrade OXP (third image above).

Colour scheme:

Code: Select all

Alert level:     Green  Yellow  Red
--------------------------------------
 MilHUD
      scanner:     green  yellow  cyan
  cross-hairs:     green  yellow   red
 M4000
      scanner:     green  orange  cyan
  cross-hairs:      cyan    cyan  cyan
In the M4000 red alert (fourth) image above, note the single square targeting box, which matches the size of the Scanner Targeting Enhancement floating reticle and the largest size of the adjustable centre box in Sniper Sight (fifth image above). The latest MilHUD version has a second, larger box around the outside of the cross-hairs.

Edited to remove out-of-date, now incorrect information.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Wildeblood wrote:
Colour scheme:

Code: Select all

Alert level:     Green  Yellow  Red
 MilHUD
      scanner:     green  yellow  cyan
  cross-hairs:     green  yellow   red
 M4000
      scanner:     green  orange  cyan
  cross-hairs:      cyan    cyan  cyan
Having reviewed the above table, I don't see why the cross-hairs remaining the same colour would be an improvement over MilHUD's colour changing one?

All in all it looks like a nice variation, but I think I probably will remain a MilHUD user.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

JazHaz wrote:
Having reviewed the above table, I don't see why the cross-hairs remaining the same colour would be an improvement over MilHUD's colour changing one?
It's not, but the cross-hair colour can't change without switching the whole HUD, and the purpose of creating M4000 was to eliminate MilHUD's HUD-switching when the alert level changes.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

In the M4000 red alert (fourth) image above, note the single square targeting box, which matches the size of the Scanner Targeting Enhancement floating reticle and the largest size of the adjustable centre box in Sniper Sight (fifth image above). The latest MilHUD version has a second, larger box around the outside of the cross-hairs.
You missed the point of MilHUD's outer targeting box, methinks. The STE's reticle isn't static in size: It grows larger at close ranges, and it's larger around large ships. Also, hostiles charge at you, weapons blazing, which means a close range dogfight is going to happen. If the STE wasn't dynamic in size, and if all targets were long range shots, then the outer box wouldn't have been included. So I included a short range box.
MilHUD includes an eye-candy "Condition Critical" screen when the player's ship's energy is dangerously low, M4000 does not.
That's not mere eyecandy. In a battle, are you looking at your guages, or watching the sights and the scanner? I'm going to guess eyes are on the sights and scanner. That being the case, the critical screen offers a friendly, attention getting reminder that without power, your weapons won't work, shields won't recharge, and maybe it's time to push the panic button and pull the eject handle, because the Bell is tolling for you and you're about to be blown into the Braben of history. One thing sucks harder than vacuum, and that's being dumped into it. Got Remloc?
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
You missed the point of MilHUD's outer targeting box, methinks. The STE's reticle isn't static in size: It grows larger at close ranges, and it's larger around large ships. Also, hostiles charge at you, weapons blazing, which means a close range dogfight is going to happen. If the STE wasn't dynamic in size, and if all targets were long range shots, then the outer box wouldn't have been included. So I included a short range box.
I didn't miss anything, I simply disagree that it's useful. You identify the problem yourself: the size of the floating reticle is continuously variable. It has a minimum size, and you can draw a box on screen that matches that size, but it doesn't have a maximum size, so any larger size box you draw is a completely arbitrary choice - it's never going to be the right size. That is to say, if I had included a second box, it still wouldn't look anything like yours.

If you seriously want to pursue the SquareShot concept, sooner or later you'll want to animate it. You'll need a function that checks the range and collision radius of the target, and calculates the size of the reticle on screen. Then you'll need to include about a hundred equipment-switched boxes in the HUD file in stepped sizes (no big deal using the magic of copy/paste). Run the function with a frame callback that is started and stopped when the player acquires or loses a target. Simple in theory; the hours spent calibrating the size of the box compared to the floating reticle for each step would be the tedious part. I'll gladly help with such a script if I can, the tedious part, not so much. :D
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Included in MilHUD 4000 version 1.1 download.
Sniper Sight READ ME wrote:
MilHUD 4000 Sniper Sight OXP ver. 2.0.3 (M4000)
Date: April 9th, 2012

Installation and use:

Included in MilHUD 4000 version 1.1 OXP. This version is FOR USE WITH MilHUD 4000 ONLY.

Head to a planet of technical level 10 or above, where you can purchase the Sniper Sight from the ship outfitters. Sniper Sight requires the Advanced Space Compass to function, and will not be offered in the ship outfitters if you do not already have the ASC.

To use the Sniper Sight, first target a distant asteroid normally using the ident computer, then cycle through your Advanced Space Compass to "target mode". Sniper Sight will appear and facilitate more accurate targeting. Please use responsibly - Wildefire Systems does not endorse or condone hostility between spacefarers.

The Wildefire Systems Type 1D Gunsight (a.k.a. Sniper Sight) is the Ooniverse's most customizable high-precision gunsight, however there is no need to edit files to enjoy this high level of user-customization. All of Sniper Sight's configuration options are easily set using in-game menus, and can be changed on the fly.

Operating modes:

Unlike previous versions, Sniper Sight 2 has two distinct modes of operation: "hold" and "automatic release" modes refer to the gunsight's behaviour once a target is destroyed or lost for another reason.

Hold mode: when the current target is destroyed, moves out of scanner range, or the player re-activates the ident computer to seek a new target, Sniper Sight will remain active and the gunsight will immediately re-appear once a new target is acquired. To de-activate Sniper Sight when there is a current target, cycle the advanced space compass out of target mode or press F5, F6, F7 or F8 to go to a "non-flight-view" screen. If there is no current target, do not attempt to cycle the ASC, but you can still de-activate Sniper Sight by momentarily changing to another screen.

Release mode: when the current target is lost or destroyed - including if the player re-activates the target or ident systems - Sniper Sight will immediately be de-activated, and the gunsight HUD will automatically revert to the normal in-flight HUD.

Sniper Sight configuration:

You can change the configuration settings only while Sniper Sight is in use.
While the "Gunsight" HUD is shown, press N (shift-n) until "Customize Gunsight Settings" appears on screen.
Press n to show the configuration options of your Wildefire Systems Type 1D Gunsight on the prime-able equipment menu.

Then press N until "Gunsight Size" appears on screen.
Press n to switch among the six differently sized sights available, or to switch it off completely. Your new setting should take effect immediately.

Then press N until "Gunsight Mode" appears on screen.
Press n to switch the mode of operation between "hold" and "automatic release" modes.

Then press N until "Gunsight Centre" appears on screen.
Press n to switch on the centre mark. Pressing repeatedly will vary the mark through six different sizes, before switching it off again.

Then press N until "Gunsight Opacity" appears on screen.
Press n to alter the transparency among 33%, 40% or 50% opacity. Your new setting should take effect immediately.

Then press N until "Gunsight Contrast" appears on screen.
Press n to alter the brightness of the central higher-contrast patch among six different levels of low, medium or high brightness. Your new setting should take effect immediately.

Then press N until "Gunsight Reticle" appears on screen.
Press n to switch the supplementary reticle (a.k.a. Scanner Targeting Enhancement) on or off. Use of the reticle in Sniper Sight is completely independant of whether you have purchased Scanner Targeting Enhancement for general use.

Then press N until "Gunsight Camera" appears on screen.
Press n to enable the gunsight camera. While the camera is enabled, Sniper Sight will automatically keep a photographic record of all asteroids successfully destroyed. (Image files will be stored in the folder "oolite.app/oolite-saves/snapshots/" on Windows computers.)

Then press N until "Gunsight Centre Colour" appears on screen.
Press n to switch the square centre mark, and the vanes shown in hold mode, from green to yellow.

Then press N until "Gunsight Glow Colour" appears on screen.
Press n to switch the colour the gunsight will glow when on target. When on target, Sniper Sight can glow bright red, bright green or yellow.

Then press N until "Gunsight Sensitivity" appears on screen.
Press n to adjust the target sensitivity of your gunsight among five different settings. There should not normally be any need to adjust this setting.

Once you are satisfied with your choice of settings, press N until "Lock Gunsight Configuration" appears on screen.
Press n to hide the configuration menu of your Wildefire Systems Type 1D Gunsight from the prime-able equipment menu.

Compatibility note:

This version is FOR USE WITH MilHUD 4000 version 1.1 ONLY.

Change Log:

2.0.3 (April 9th, 2012) Fixed a bug, wherein the gunsight reticle could be damaged in combat and become unrepairable. Thanks to user Ad Astra for bug report.

2.0.2 (April 6th, 2012) Fixed a bug, wherein the user's settings were lost and reset to defaults, if the Sniper Sight was damaged in combat then repaired through the F3 screen. Updated HUD files to match MilHUD 4000 (version 1.1).

2.0.1 (April 6th, 2012) Added yellow option to possible glow colours when on target.

2.0 (M4000) (February 8th, 2012) Re-made HUD files to match MilHUD 4000 (version 1.0).

2.0 (January 24th, 2012) Re-started change log for all new version 2. Includes half a dozen lines of Javascript copy/pasted from Eric Walch's Tionisla Reporter OXP.
Target off centre:

On target:

You don't really want to shoot up a police ship, so re-activate the ident computer and Sniper Sight goes to hold mode while you look for a new target. The gunsight will instantly re-appear when a new target is acquired.
On hold:
Last edited by Wildeblood on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

Am I just being blind (which would explain my dogfighting style) or is there no link anywhere to the new updated version of the MilHUD 4000 that came out on 6th April? I'd like to get it as I keep seeing a "Gunsight Reticle repair failed" message from a rather put out Self-Repair System that can't, poor thing.
Now rated Deadly flying a Military Stingray in Galsector 2 causing chaos, panic and disorder as a hitman and trader.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Ad_Astra wrote:
Am I just being blind (which would explain my dogfighting style) or is there no link anywhere to the new updated version of the MilHUD 4000 that came out on 6th April?
In the first post, top of thread, up there ^. Where it says:-

Download MilHUD 4000 OXP here.

The link should take you to a download file called milhud-4000_1.1.1_oxp.zip, and Sniper Sight 2.0.3 is now bundled into the same OXP (There are two READ ME files in the .zip, but only one OXP). If you've got an older version of Sniper Sight remove it or you'll have no scanner on screen. The scanner in MilHUD 4000 version 1.1 turns cyan to maximize contrast with hostile ships during combat, as previously, but now turns bright red during other red alert conditions, such as low altitude or overheating. Also, for a bit more of a combat challenge, the scanner can now be knocked out temporarily during combat, and will blank out, but will reset itself once combat is over (assuming the player survives). :twisted:
Last edited by Wildeblood on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

Wildeblood wrote:
The link should take you to a download file called milhud-4000_1.1_oxp.zip, and Sniper Sight 2.0.2 is now bundled into the same OXP (There are two READ ME files in the .zip, but only one OXP).
Ah, that was what confused me; I probably shouldn't be trying to think right now, as my brain filled up with snot and the logistics of moving house, which isn't a good combination... but playing Oolite is a great distraction from both! :D
Now rated Deadly flying a Military Stingray in Galsector 2 causing chaos, panic and disorder as a hitman and trader.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
MilHUD includes an eye-candy "Condition Critical" screen when the player's ship's energy is dangerously low, M4000 does not.
That's not mere eyecandy.
Okay, you talked me into it. I've added a bright red scanner to distinguish other red alert conditions, like low energy, from the combat alert.

Yellow alert (with civilian scanner):-

Yellow alert (with police scanner upgrade):-

Combat alert:-

The new yellow option for Sniper Sight on target:-

Panic alert (low altitude):-