[RELEASE] MilHUD 4.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[RELEASE] MilHUD 4.0

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

MilHUD 4.0 by Wyvern - Based on GenericHUD by KW and Thargoid, and MilHUD 3.1 by Wyvern
Oolite version: 1.74+
=======================================================================================
This is a mode-switching version of MilHUD, displaying HUD "modes" depending on condition.

Version 4.0 fixes some bugs, and introduces a next generation gun pipper system, the SquareShot holographic lasersight, designed to work in tandom with the Scanner Targeting Enhancement. A basic SquareShot mode is available without an STE, but the basic mode is usable at best at close ranges. To realize SquareShot's full capabilities, equip an STE.

MODES: (See included screenshots)
- Docked: All instruments disabled when docked, except the clock and missile/mine display.
- Green: Holographic rangers switched off; scanner, zoom, compass and sights turn green. A good indicator that you're clear to engage Supercruise.
- Yellow: SquareShot holographic sighting aids fully active; scanner, zoom, compass and sights turn yellow. Masslocked, could be hostiles around. If you want to get in a pre-emptive strike, this mode lets you.
- Red: Sights turn red, SqareShot fully active, scanner and compass takes on high-contrast blue-green. This is full combat mode, time to kick some ass.
- Critical: A warning message appears, your scanner and compass turn red, and your contraster starts flashing red. If you see this, then SHTF and you're in big trouble. Yank the eject handle or get out of Dodge fast.
=========================================================================================

Target Reticule oxp doesn't work with this (it doesn't work with GenericHUD either), so it's function is built-in.
TAF_Reset oxp isn't needed with this, it's functions are built-in. TAF reset function kicks in when docked, Witching to a new system, masslocking, and when Condition Red. Unless you use time acceleration, you won't notice.

INSTALLATION:
Remove all HUD oxps that replace the standard HUD (including GenericHUD and older MilHUD), TAF_Reset and Target Reticule from your AddOns directory, and drop this in. Simple as that. Full functionality will now kick in immediately on starting the game. Use a shiftkey start to be sure (Shiftkey start only needs to be applied once).

Credit where it's due:
This uses a modified version of Thargoid's script used in GenericHUD. SquareShot sights invented while messing with CommonSense's huds. Comm window placements and idea for the warning flasher is credted to CommonSenseOTB.
Download
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] MilHUD 4.0

Post by JazHaz »

Thankyou so much. MilHUD is by far the best HUD I've ever used.

Are the message & comms boxes set up as standard, as per image 5 above?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

JazHaz wrote:
Are the message & comms boxes set up as standard, as per image 5 above?
Yup!
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Very nice. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Version 4.0 fixes some bugs, and introduces a next generation gun pipper system, the SquareShot holographic lasersight, designed to work in tandom with the Scanner Targeting Enhancement.
Great, really looking forward to trying this, BTW the word is "tandem" ;)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Oops!

I forgot to put in a "weapons offline" display. When working on that, I discovered it had a double entry for the speed dial. Oh dear.

All that taken care of, and fixed version 4.0 uploaded, same link.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Thx for the release Cmdr Wyvern !! :D

I was a faithful user of MilHUD 3.4, then did a switch to one of CSOTB's newest HUDs, and then I found I "needed" a LOT of tweaks to that one (which I actually made and sort-of-tested), and finally never found the time to resume 'REAL' game playing after that. Oh well... :x

But may I ask (before attempting ANOTHER hud switch again :evil: ): what's the compatibility between MH 4.0 and Sniper Camera / Sniper Scope / Sniper Sight ?

Thx & cheers :mrgreen:
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

sdrubble wrote:
But may I ask (before attempting ANOTHER hud switch again :evil: ): what's the compatibility between MH 4.0 and Sniper Camera / Sniper Scope / Sniper Sight ?
From the cockpit of an iron assed Vendetta, with a front mil laser and SquareShot active I was picking off pirate Sidewinders from 25 ~ 30 km away. SquareShot is an intuitive sniping sight in it's own right. :twisted: Note in the screenshots, SquareShot being lined up on a nav buoy @ 25km.
Though I havn't tested, 4.0 should be compatible.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Have updated the wiki.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
sdrubble wrote:
From the cockpit of an iron assed Vendetta, with a front mil laser and SquareShot active I was picking off pirate Sidewinders from 25 ~ 30 km away. SquareShot is an intuitive sniping sight in it's own right. :twisted: Note in the screenshots, SquareShot being lined up on a nav buoy @ 25km.
Though I havn't tested, 4.0 should be compatible.
My bad. I completely overlooked the 25 km aiming in the screenshot ! :oops:

But it's good to know it's also compatible with the other Snipers. :wink:

Thx & cheers :D
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Another small update:
Comm log fixed so that it no longer clears itself when the HUD mode changes. No more missed communications!
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

@Cmdr Wyvern,

some thoughts on this... 8)

[While I DID download the 2011.12.16 4.0 version, I haven't tested it yet. I want to be done first with a full battle test of another HUD I've extensively tweaked, before I can *possibly* jump back to MilHUD... I've just checked my save files and noticed that I've only played for ONE day in the last 40+ days, so that this might actually take quite a while]. :?

1. The screenshot collection in the initial post doesn't include a shot with a RED status AND full working condition (i.e., actual fight). :wink:

2. Revisiting our discussion above over SquareShot targeting @25 km, vs. eventual usage of other 'sniping' OXP's (none of which I have actually tried BTW :cry: ): I've just zoomed a bit on your shot where the buoy is marked red (meaning 'on target'), and it *seems* to me (shot is a bit lo-res so can't be 100% sure) that there's a slight offset between the actual buoy dot and 'reddot.png'. Which leads me to believe that, although the HUD is saying 'dead on', an actual laser shot at this range might slightly miss the buoy. :evil:

So I'm not sure of this but... are you aware if any of the sniping OXP's *WITH ZOOM* would also be equally misleading as to the actual weapon bearing at long range ? :shock:

3. as I didn't see a *changelog* inside the .ZIP, here's a small and partial contribution... :lol:

Code: Select all

MilHUD_4.0_unofficial_change_log.txt
=====================================================================================
partial and incomplete list of improvements to MilHUD_4.0

(applies to 2011.12.16 file version from box.com)

haphazardly compiled by sdrubble...
=====================================================================================
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=159986#p159986

Comm log fixed so that it no longer clears itself when the HUD mode changes. No more missed communications!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=159910#p159910

- force the loading of the docked plist when the game is started

- no longer deliberately disables instruments in flight. (Meaning your STE won't go away unless it gets shot off.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X
Cheers :D
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

sdrubble wrote:
@Cmdr Wyvern,

some thoughts on this... 8)

[While I DID download the 2011.12.16 4.0 version, I haven't tested it yet. I want to be done first with a full battle test of another HUD I've extensively tweaked, before I can *possibly* jump back to MilHUD... I've just checked my save files and noticed that I've only played for ONE day in the last 40+ days, so that this might actually take quite a while]. :?

1. The screenshot collection in the initial post doesn't include a shot with a RED status AND full working condition (i.e., actual fight). :wink:

2. Revisiting our discussion above over SquareShot targeting @25 km, vs. eventual usage of other 'sniping' OXP's (none of which I have actually tried BTW :cry: ): I've just zoomed a bit on your shot where the buoy is marked red (meaning 'on target'), and it *seems* to me (shot is a bit lo-res so can't be 100% sure) that there's a slight offset between the actual buoy dot and 'reddot.png'. Which leads me to believe that, although the HUD is saying 'dead on', an actual laser shot at this range might slightly miss the buoy. :evil:

So I'm not sure of this but... are you aware if any of the sniping OXP's *WITH ZOOM* would also be equally misleading as to the actual weapon bearing at long range ? :shock:
The ship you're flying - or rather, the distance between the ship's viewpoints vs it's weapon ports - is a variable that can't be universally accounted for. The distance invokes a parallax that needs to be manually accounted for on a case to case basis. For instance, the Cobra's parallax would put the hit point well below zero parallax, while the parallax of say a Cadeceus or a Kirin would be a perfect zero parallax. MilHUD, and indeed all HUDs including the native HUD, are set to work best at a perfect zero parallax. (IMHO the Kirin is the ultimate sniper's platform.)

The screenshots were taken from a Dragon M, which has a parallax only slightly below zero. Were the trigger pulled with the sights lined up on the buoy, it would’ve hit, and get my ass swarmed with Vipers. Live fire tests were done on pirates, moving targets that the Vipers pay me to shoot, and in that instance my aim was accurate enough to, as I said before, nail sidewinders at 25 and better km.

Now as for the sniping HUDS. MilHUD is a drop-in replacement for the native HUD, while those sniping HUDs are add-ons meant to compliment the acting HUD. Ergo, it's not my duty to insure MilHUD works with the sniping HUDs, but instead that the makers of those sniping HUDs insure that their addons work with MilHUD.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

@ Cmdr Wywern,

Thanks for the explanations. Very - erm... professional, I'd say. 8)

You've just happened to awaken some long, lost, forgotten memories of mine... I' ve searched Google a bit and, while not managing to find the REAL thing, I did get some sort of 'drop-in replacement', which I'm sharing HERE . :twisted:

Cheers :lol:
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Nice HUD - I'll definitely be keeping it. The smoked glass effect is really useful.

A slight display oddity I noticed while setting my jump destination: