[RELEASE] Povray Planets BETA - 256 planet textures for Gal1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

submersible
Commodore
Commodore

[RELEASE] Povray Planets BETA - 256 planet textures for Gal1

Post by submersible »

Announcing Povray Planets beta available for download now in low resolution http://swarm.perlide.org/static/gal1/Po ... -11-29.zip - ~30Mb

Update Higher resolution also now available - http://swarm.perlide.org/static/gal1/Po ... 29_big.zip ~ 90Mb

Browse some early screenshots http://swarm.perlide.org/static/

Oolite 1.74 or greater required as this OXP uses cube maps for all planet textures. These are provided at 128x768 - higher resolution textures easily available if desired. This OXP attempts to be faithful to the procedural nature of Elite in that all textures are generated based on seed values (currently I use planet name as the seed). The only two planet types in this release are gas giants (banded ,turbulent with storm eye ala jupiter) and barren rocky. Further planet types Continental (the traditional blue marble) and Artificial are under development.

No attempt has been made to co-operate with any other system texture OXPs in this release so it will mis-behave in the presence of Deep Horizons , Famous Planets, System Demux, System Redux , etc.

Have fun in your fully textured galaxy.
Last edited by submersible on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: [RELEASE] Povray Planets BETA - 256 planet textures for

Post by maik »

Thanks, I added it to the WIP section of the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki].
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

No attempt has been made to co-operate with any other system texture OXPs in this release so it will mis-behave in the presence of Deep Horizons , Famous Planets, System Demux, System Redux , etc.
Wow, First images look promising. Good work but if you don't mind I wait with downloading till the other types of planets are also in. At this moment I mis Earth Type and Arctric planets. But I read you are working on that :D

I would be extra happy if you can make a version which doesn't texture the planets that my Famous Planets package does. Because the Famous planets are 'famous' so they have a special texture on it. In the oxp you find a list which planets are textured by FP.

It would be awesome to have your package for textures around the eight galaxies and FP for galaxy 1 and 2.

But don't rush. First carry on with the good work :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, it's only a beta at this stage, so I'm sure that compatibility with other oxps will come later, together with other planet types, and a coverage of all galaxies... :)

I've got to say, the gas giants do look suitably - err - gassy! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

Kaks wrote:
Well, it's only a beta at this stage, so I'm sure that compatibility with other oxps will come later, together with other planet types, and a coverage of all galaxies... :)
The galaxy coverage part is pretty simple in fact - point spreadsheet at script... burn some cpu and out pop the textures. Managing the size of the beast is going to be a problem.

My thoughts so far on playing fair with other OXPs.
  • Hardcode lists of planets taken care of by other OXPs
  • Use OXPConfig to allow user to control who-trumps-who
  • Cheat and do evil things in JS... can one world script overwrite functions in another??
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

submersible wrote:
  • Cheat and do evil things in JS... can one world script overwrite functions in another??
Oh yes! :D

But you can just use js to notice if another oxp is loaded, and act accordingly.
For example, if you see that famous planets is installed, don't change the texture of one of the famous planets etc...

Other planets oxps have found a way to notify each other that they're there, so hooking onto what they're already doing sounds like the best option. You can always PM the guys who made them oxps, they've all said they're more than happy to help you out with that stuff! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

As I said in another post, I have a copy of the DH-Systems script that was made to allow any number of planet-texturing oxp's to work together; it just had/has some bloat in the save game that I find unacceptable. I don't foresee a way to avoid it with the current implementation of System.infoForSystem(). If you or anyone else would like to take a look and see if you can do something with it, I can make it available.