(NEW RELEASE) MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips(MFLPS).oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

(NEW RELEASE) MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips(MFLPS).oxp

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Now Available: (MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips)MFLPS

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/MFLPS

This oxp creates player flyable versions of npc ships with multiple forward lasers and requires that you have the following oxps installed.

Dependancies: Oldships 3.2 and wolfmk2 3.3

This is a balanced concept that works within the games own core code restricting player lasers. The forward lasers can be selected by alternately pressing v to switch between gun cameras for each laser. I had so much fun playtesting this. I believe this is how these ships were originally meant to be experienced and it is definately worth the wait. Have fun and please share all your experiences and comments, good or bad, that we may all benefit. Have fun and cheers! :D
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (NEW RELEASE) MultipleForwardLaserPlayerShips(MFLPS).oxp

Post by Killer Wolf »

Mufflepuss. i like that as a name for a new ship.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Killer Wolf wrote:
Mufflepuss. i like that as a name for a new ship.
But shouldn't there be a Bagpuss first?

Bagpuss is a 1974 UK children's television series, made by Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate through their company Smallfilms. The title character is "an old, saggy cloth cat, baggy and a bit loose at the seams". Although only 13 episodes of the show were made, it remains fondly remembered and has often been repeated in the UK.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Added it to the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki].
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Can you shoot both lasers at the same time?

Would it be possible to have a version without dependencies?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

CS pulls off another one. That guy is a regular reincarnation of Tesla.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Will this work changing the side cameras instead and leaving the rear gun untouched, or do they only shoot sideways and the effect is only achievable by reversing the rear mount to shoot forward?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Hehe! Planning some kind of ubership are we? It appears my voodoo hypnotism has done a number on you. :lol:

I thought that I was clear in all my previous posts on this and in the readme and the wiki page for it. Let me restate it again.

This workaround works within the harcoded player laser limits.
i.e. 2 parallel lasers going opposite directions and positioning the weapons and views to pretend that they are both going the same direction.

You can't make/change the lasers to do what they are not hardcoded to do. It is only an illusion. A magic trick. A sleight of hand using zero parallax gun cameras to trick you.

<start jedi mind trick>These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.<end jedi mind trick> :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Hehe! Planning some kind of ubership are we? It appears my voodoo hypnotism has done a number on you. :lol:
Actually I'm halfway reskinning the basic set with a razzle dazzle camo livery, to be used on toned down renegades in my pet vapourware project - and this thread made me think it could be possible to make them also player ships... it seems not. :(
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

In an effort to help those that may not understand how this works, I am posting a portion of a PM that I made in reply to someone having trouble adapting this concept. Perhaps others may benefit from this.
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Imagine this: The aft laser, positioned at the weapon mount point on the front of your ship. Now position it ahead of the ship by the same amount as the weapons range.

What's really happening? The aft laser is ahead of your ship firing towards you. Because the laser is ahead of the ship by exactly the range of the laser it appears to be firing forward, until you hit something. That's why a zero parallax view(weapon position and view position the same) gun camera view is used, it is necessary to hide this from the player or it will become obvious when the player hits a target using a normal perspective.

Also with this method it is best to lock the weapon to the ship(ship comes with the weapon with no option to replace it) so that buying a different weapon is impossible and this will prevent having a laser that stops short of reaching your ship or goes through and past your ship.

I wish I could explain this clearer. It's all in the oxp and picking it apart and looking should show this. It's all an illusion to pretend you have 2 forward lasers. Aft lasers do not fire forward.

If you tried the MFLPS.oxp ships, you may have noticed that there is a good chance of friendly fire if there is anything behind your target because the laser fires from behind the target to your viewpoint. If you want to use a ship with 2 lasers on the front that is the price you pay. Check your fire before you shoot.
Hope this may be useful to somebody someday.

Cheers! :)

WIKI+OXPs
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Quite outside the box--bravo!
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

OK, I get it........I think, but I still want to know if both laser beams should be visible from the cockpit view. I have reached the point of having no aft laser visual, while getting a positive on the slight of hand laser site, but I still only see ONE of the beams firing out in front of the ship. Is that the way it should be, or should I keep tweeking? :?:
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

mandoman, it should be exactly like in the ships in MFLPS.oxp. The forward laser should be visible from the forward view but you need a gun camera view to use the modified aft weapon.

WIKI+OXPs
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
mandoman, it should be exactly like in the ships in MFLPS.oxp. The forward laser should be visible from the forward view but you need a gun camera view to use the modified aft weapon.
Hmmm, I have tried the MFLPS ships, and I don't see a right forward laser "effect", so what you must mean is that, no, you can't see the camera-up-the rear-ack-basswords-wave-of-the-hand laser. :mrgreen:
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Actually I'm halfway reskinning the basic set with a razzle dazzle camo livery
:!: I thought I was the only person left who knew about razzle dazzle camouflage.

It ought to be possible to make some really confusing paint jobs on space ships, where you can assume a consistent black background. Large ships looking like a fleet of small ships at a distance, or a pair of small ships at wing-tip distance. Small ships looking like missiles or cargopods.

How goes it?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.