DragonDock

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

DragonDock

Post by Dragonfire »

This topic is for the discussion of the project DragonDock.

DragonDock is an open source cross-platform application for simplifying the creation of OXPs. It is written in Python (2.7), SQLite (which will eventually be dropped in favor of XML data storage) and PyGTK, using the Glade RAD IDE.

I started this project as a way for me to learn the ins and outs of PyGTK before beginning work on my far more complex professional project. As such, my activity on the project will be dropping down considerably as of this Friday, though I may work on it a little here and there occasionally.

As such, I desperately need other individuals to join the project. Python and Glade are very easy to learn (I've only been working with them a month as of this post).

--
DragonDock simplifies the creation of OXPs by allowing users to create plists for ships, missiles, stations, and other Oolite objects. After the initial object type is chosen, all of the relevant fields are shown, using various form elements to ensure all input is valid. Multiple objects can be added to a project.

Finally, the project can be compiled into a fully functional OXP, with all models, textures, and script files put into their respective folders.

DragonDock 0.1 Projected Features:
>Object type sensitive "smart" forms.
>Exporting in .plist format.
>Compiling all OXP resources into a fully functional .oxp folder.

--
Feature requests and ideas are welcome, but I cannot do much with 0.1. I will post the Sourceforge link soon, and everyone is encouraged to join the project and help build and improve it.

My hope is that DragonDock will change how we OXP forever. :)
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: DragonDock

Post by RyanHoots »

I can help by writing documentation, if you'd like. I'm no programmer, but I am willing to help.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

That would be excellent, Ryan!
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Good. As soon as a usable release is ready, I'll get to it.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I just wrote up my plan for what fields will be offered for each object type. I need at least one person to proofread it and ensure I didn't overlook anything/put anything where it didn't belong.

These are the following types:

>Player Ship
Would you believe it...a player ship.

>NPC Ship
Piloted, mobile.

>Carrier
Mobile, dockable.

>Station
Immobile, dockable.

>Missile
Unpiloted, mobile.

>Asteroid
Unpiloted, immobile.

>Cross-Use Template Ship
A general use ship template containing only those properties shared between player and NPC.

>Master Template Ship
A general use ship template containing all properties used by either player or NPC ships.

I also am going to have special dialogs for setting up subentities, based on the standard plist entries (derived from the wiki), so please take those into consideration as well.

"Model", "Textures", "Shaders", and "Scripts" will allow for the user to browse to a file. On export, these files will be copied to their proper locations in the .oxp folder output.

Again, I need someone to proofread the following file. I'll be using this as of tomorrow afternoon (tomorrow night for you Brits).

DOWNLOAD DRAGONDOCK TEMPLATE PLAN (Excel)
Last edited by Dragonfire on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Small question - does it output plists in openStep format or XML format (or both switchably)?

You mention XML as data storage - do you mean that as internal storage or as output too?
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

At this point, it'll be output in openStep (or whatever format involves the semicolons....). Eventually, we can add the XML support.

XML internal data storage is an eventual feature suggested by PhantorGorth. For this release, however, internal data storage will be done via .drgn files (SQLite databases. no prereqs required client-side). This is for reasons beyond DragonDock.

(Note, still need input on the template draft...see my previous post. At Capt. Murphy's suggestion, I made it an Excel spreadsheet.)
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Dragonfire's link to his spreadsheet is broken.

try http://dancingword.net/oolite/dragondocktemplates.xlsx
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Upon further reflection, I am moving the 0.1 release out several months, and reopening to feature requests (though absolutely no promise that any of them WILL end up in 0.1). With more time to work on it, I can easily fit it in between my RL work, and make sure that 0.1 actually has enough features to make it worthwhile.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dragonfire wrote:
Upon further reflection, I am moving the 0.1 release out several months.
I think I just won a bet. :roll:
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Congratulations. :P I just want to deliver a decent project.

Who lost?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dragonfire wrote:
Congratulations. :P I just want to deliver a decent project.
Don't mind me, it's 3.30 am and I'm just happy. I hope you do actually do it.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I actually will. I delivered on the DSE Wyvern ships, didn't I?