[UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

[UPDATE RELEASE] Xeptatl's Sword OXP

Post by Smivs »

v2.3 is now available for Oolite 1.77

Full details and downloads can be found on the Xeptatl's Sword website.

Original post
Xeptatl's Sword is a work-in-progress (WIP) OXP being developed by The OXP Workshop.

It is currently well underway, with the main storyline agreed and around two-thirds of the OXP assembled and working, although in need of a few detail tweaks.

Without giving too many spoilers this is to be an epic mission which takes you twice round the Eight on a quest to avert a genocidal colonisation of GalCop space by the Thargoids.
You will be assisting a shadowy organisation called The Xeptatl Society who are the only people in the Ooniverse who have the means to prevent this invasion.
The mission will take you to planets that in all likelihood you will not have visted before...the 'Lost Worlds'...those systems normally un-reachable as they are isolated from the main areas of the galaxies, and you will have many adventures on the way as you gather the intelligence and hardware that will be needed to save the Ooniverse.
The mission has been designed to be challenging, and will suit the more experienced Commander, but as it starts in Galaxy Five this should not be an issue. It has been designed to be achievable in a regular ship with two or more pylons, and using standard weapons, and the only OXP equipment needed is the GalDrivePod which will be bundled with the OXP for convenience. Indeed we strongly believe the mission will be enjoyed the most if Uber ships, weapons and equipment are not used, and our strong recommendation will be to avoid use of them, although if you normally fly an Uber ship you are of course welcome to use it.

There is currently no release date set, as there is still quite a lot of development and testing to do. However shortly we hope to have a pre-release beta version ready for testing, and will be looking for one or two volunteers to give it a final run-through prior to full release. The recruitment will be done via this thread, so if you're interested, keep watching. We do not need volunteers just yet.

The OXP Workshop team on this project are Smivs (concept/storyline/graphics/scripting), Okti (Chief Scripter/storyline development), Staer9 (Models), El Viejo (Chief Test Pilot/storyline development), Fatleaf (Senior Test Pilot).

Last edited by Smivs on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP] Xeptatl's Sword

Post by DaddyHoggy »

A good looking/sounding OXP with a crack team pulled together. Nice one!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Sounds just up my street...hopefully my Commander will be heading for Gal 5 about the time of release.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Weird...some of this stuff seems strangely familiar.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Sounds cool! Can't wait!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Making OXPs can be fun sometimes (as well as frustrating and agonising), but once in a while something amusing happens, and this one I thought I'd share with you.
The Xeptatl Society have several monitoring stations around the Eight and you will visit some of them during the course of the mission. On this occasion a scripting glitch led to the station being spawned when you launched from it, so just because I could I launched and docked a few times.

:lol:

(Made me wonder about a space-village OXP!)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't think I've ever taken a screenshot of it, but on occasion and if I wanted to bring down my frame rate for playtesting I've resorted to spawning 40 or 50 Superhubs in basically the same spot. Now that's a sight to behold, I'm telling you! :shock:
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Ahhhh, new missions!
Can't wait!

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Hehe! Which is the REAL rock hermit? Oh, I'm sorry, you docked at the wrong one and have been killed by a trumble infestation. :P :lol:

<Press Space Commander>
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Hehe! Which is the REAL rock hermit? Oh, I'm sorry, you docked at the wrong one and have been killed by a trumble infestation. :P :lol:
If you created a space-dock and called it "I.N.F.E. Station", what proportion of players do you think would heed the warning?
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I'm ashamed to say it took me 30 seconds to get that... I was too busy trying to work out what the initials stood for to actually look at the whole name itself!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

@ Wildeblood... :lol: :lol: :lol:
stop4stuff
Above Average
Above Average

Post by stop4stuff »

Smivs wrote:
Making OXPs can be fun sometimes (as well as frustrating and agonising), but once in a while something amusing happens, and this one I thought I'd share with you.
The Xeptatl Society have several monitoring stations around the Eight and you will visit some of them during the course of the mission. On this occasion a scripting glitch led to the station being spawned when you launched from it, so just because I could I launched and docked a few times.

:lol:

(Made me wonder about a space-village OXP!)
asteroids = ant eggs
rock hermits = hatched ant eggs

-

Great concept smivs, and am looking forward to the mission :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Slight change of plan...The Xeptatl Society Agents had previously used FerDeLances, but they have now upgraded to Cobra 3.5s.

Edit:- picture replaced with better one 6.53pm
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
I'm ashamed to say it took me 30 seconds to get that... I was too busy trying to work out what the initials stood for to actually look at the whole name itself!
You might find this quite interesting then! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)