Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Modeling Competition: Wyvern Series

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Modeling Competition: Wyvern Series

Post by Dragonfire »

A new ship series is underway, produced by Dark Sky Enterprises, based in Zaonce. The Wyvern series of ships are designed to be the fastest cargo and hunting ships in the galaxy, and feature DSE's new high-efficiency WYNGES (WYvern Non-friction Geared Engine System) engine technology and their DARC (Dragonbreath Automated ReCharge) system for quick energy bank recharge.

However, a blueprint theft fiasco at DSE has resulted in a mass-firing of many designers. DSE is looking for a skilled and creative commander to design the Wyvern. The winner receives honorable mention and a position as Lead Ship Designer at Dark Sky Enterprises (your name will be mentioned as such in the corresponding Wyvern OXP mission).

>To enter, post photos of your design for the Wyvern on this topic.
>Designs may be skinned or unskinned. Collaborations between a modeler and a skinner are also encouraged (but are optional).
>Designs may be "one-for-all" (one model for all versions), or different models for each version.
>If designs are skinned, each version of the Wyvern must have a unique skin.
>Deadline for submissions is July 4th.
>Please let us know on this topic if you are planning to make a design, so we know to look for it. :)

I will choose the top three, and then the community will vote on the final design.

Current specs are as follows. An alternate "uber" version, with even higher specs, will also be created using the same model. However, please base your design on the following five versions:

---
Red Wyvern
Designed for bounty hunters, the Red Wyvern is heavily armed, with a small cargo bay for maximum speed.

Cargo Capacity: 10 TC
Cargo Bay Extension: 40 TC
Maximum Speed: 0.55
Maneuverability:
Roll: 1.0
Pitch: 0.6
Energy Banks: 8
Energy recharge rate: 7.0
Gun Mounts: Fore, Aft, Starboard, Port, Plasma Turrets
Missile Slots: 8
Shield Boosters available: Yes
Military Shields available: Yes
Hyperspace capable: Yes
Available to player: Yes
Base Price: 2300000
Tech Level: 8
Chance: 0.2

Green Wyvern
The Green Wyvern is designed with merchants in mind. A large cargo bay and good speed are first in priority. This ship is well armed, though not near as heavily some other models.

Cargo Capacity: 100
Cargo Bay Extension: 25
Maximum Speed: 0.45
Maneuverability:
Roll: 0.8
Pitch: 0.4
Gun Mounts: Fore, Aft, Plasma Turrets
Missile Slots: 4

Blue Wyvern
Specially designed for miners, the Blue Wyvern has a moderate cargo bay, but drops many pylon mounts in favor of greater speed than the standard merchant model. In light of the potentially precious cargo, lasers are top priority aboard this vessel.

Cargo Capacity: 50
Cargo Bay Extension: 25
Maximum Speed: 0.50
Maneuverability:
Roll: 0.9
Pitch: 0.5
Gun Mounts: Fore, Aft, Starboard, Port
Missile Slots: 2

White Wyvern
A rare, and very expensive version of the Wyvern, designed to combat the Black Wyvern threat (details in mission). This model is so dangerous that GalCop closely monitors the sale of each and every one of them. Often considered an "uber ship", the sales are such that pirates have yet to get their hands on one. And, as such, any pirate who DOES get one, immediately has a VERY sizable bounty on their heads.

(This model is about 1/3 bigger than the standard models)

Cargo Capacity: 5
Cargo Bay Extension: N/A
Maximum Speed: 0.60
Maneuverability:
Roll: 0.7
Pitch: 0.7
Energy Banks: 10
Energy Recharge Rate: 8.0
Gun Mounts: Fore, Aft, Starboard, Port, Plasma Turrets
Missile Slots: 6
Base Price: 3000000
Tech Level: 10
Chance: 0.1
CLEAN RECORD REQUIRED

Black Wyvern
Illegal, based on stolen blueprints. FINAL SPECS CLASSIFIED, similar to White Wyvern. Not directly manufactured by DSE.

--

Good luck, and may the best modeler win!
Last edited by Dragonfire on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Modeling Competition: Wyvern Series

Post by Smivs »

Just to clarify, I have offered to help in this project (time permitting) in respect of textures. However if a model-maker wishes to texture their own model they are more than welcome to, and I expect Dragonfire would be happy to receive offers from other 'skinners' as well.
Last edited by Smivs on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Ah, good thought. Updating original post.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

This is a ship I started on, but later lost interest in finishing. The model is here; you can do with as you please.

It's in .obj format, and should load into most modelling apps.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Cmdr Wyvern's Submission:

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmdr Wyvern's model is insufficiently gorgeous.

I've already shown you what I think it should look like.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

LOL, Wilde, that one is unskinned. If you want to design something like the Swan Song for the Wyvern, be my guest. :P
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dragonfire wrote:
LOL, Wilde, that one is unskinned. If you want to design something like the Swan Song for the Wyvern, be my guest. :P
I wouldn't know where to begin, the models are a complete mystery to me. No, that one there is insufficiently gorgeous because it is symmetrical about two axes. A good-looking ship is only symmetrical about one axis... Hmm... Actually, lose the lower pair of nacelles and it might be a useful starting point.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Wildeblood wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
I wouldn't know where to begin, the models are a complete mystery to me. No, that one there is insufficiently gorgeous because it is symmetrical about two axes. A good-looking ship is only symmetrical about one axis... Hmm... Actually, lose the lower pair of nacelles and it might be a useful starting point.
Hold on there, Wilde.
When I made the model, the ship concept I had in mind was a compact freighter, slightly smaller than a Python; it could carry about 100TC, and fly with a top speed equivalent to a Cobby, but by no means would it be a nippy turner. It could achieve this by hanging it's four engines outboard in nacelle mounts.
Thus why there's four nacelles on the model.

"A good-looking ship is only symmetrical about one axis", you say. That's like saying a motorcycle is only good looking if it only has two wheels. Well there's a 3-wheeled motorbike that looks pretty damn slick. So no, it need not lose two of it's engines to look good, it only needs to wear the right paint job! :)
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
Hold on there, Wilde.
When I made the model, the ship concept I had in mind was a compact freighter, slightly smaller than a Python; it could carry about 100TC, and fly with a top speed equivalent to a Cobby, but by no means would it be a nippy turner. It could achieve this by hanging it's four engines outboard in nacelle mounts.
Thus why there's four nacelles on the model.

"A good-looking ship is only symmetrical about one axis", you say. That's like saying a motorcycle is only good looking if it only has two wheels. Well there's a 3-wheeled motorbike that looks pretty damn slick. So no, it need not lose two of it's engines to look good, it only needs to wear the right paint job! :)
When did I authorize this contraction of my nick? That's "Mr Wildeblood" to you, young Dragonfire. Well, no, sorry Wyvster, you're completely wrong - an overwhelming majority of people would opine that a three-wheeled motorcycle looked odd. I am certain of it. So certain that I have wasted 0 minutes of my time surveying 0 people to confirm my suspicions. :mrgreen:
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

[pettyness mode] A Thargoid ship is symmetrical about 8 axes, and you don't hear anyone complaining! [/pettyness mode]

Thinking about it, that might actually be why Cmdr Wyvern's submission reminds me somewhat of Thargoids... That or it looks like a small agile bug-fighter to me. Not something that looks to me like an ominous warship.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
[pettyness mode] A Thargoid ship is symmetrical about 8 axes, and you don't hear anyone complaining! [/pettyness mode]

Thinking about it, that might actually be why Cmdr Wyvern's submission reminds me somewhat of Thargoids... That or it looks like a small agile bug-fighter to me. Not something that looks to me like an ominous warship.
Thargoids are the bad guys. Symmetry about more than two axes is reserved for bad guy spaceships. This is the equivalent of the outlaws wearing black hats in old westerns. Don't mess with tried and true methods. Find me a significant recent example where this isn't true. The best I can think of is Forbidden Planet, and that was a long time ago. The Millennium Falcon isn't symmetrical at all, and that dates from 1977.

(P.S. Pettiness is not spelt "pettyness".)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Wildeblood wrote:
That's "Mr Wildeblood" to you, young Dragonfire. Well, no, sorry Wyvster, you're completely wrong - an overwhelming majority of people would opine that a three-wheeled motorcycle looked odd. I am certain of it. So certain that I have wasted 0 minutes of my time surveying 0 people to confirm my suspicions. :mrgreen:
[grumpyoldgeezer]These kids with their pigheadedness and their loud rap noise... Get off my lawn![/grumpyoldgeezer]
Who are you calling young, ace? Oh, right. I'm not Dragonfire, but thanks for the compliment anyway.

Tell you what: Instead of getting gripey about a model someone else made, load up Wings3D and crank out one better. I dare you, whippersnapper! :mrgreen:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
That's "Mr Wildeblood" to you, young Dragonfire. Well, no, sorry Wyvster, you're completely wrong - an overwhelming majority of people would opine that a three-wheeled motorcycle looked odd. I am certain of it. So certain that I have wasted 0 minutes of my time surveying 0 people to confirm my suspicions. :mrgreen:
[grumpyoldgeezer]These kids with their pigheadedness and their loud rap noise... Get off my lawn![/grumpyoldgeezer]
Who are you calling young, ace? Oh, right. I'm not Dragonfire, but thanks for the compliment anyway.

Tell you what: Instead of getting gripey about a model someone else made, load up Wings3D and crank out one better. I dare you, whippersnapper! :mrgreen:
What compliment, I was talking to Dragonfire (all 19 years of him)? Where was I was getting "gripey"? No, I don't pretend to know anything about actually making the models, but I can offer advice about what looks good, can't I?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Wildeblood wrote:
I don't pretend to know anything about actually making the models...
I didn't either, 'till one day I downloaded Wings and had a go at it. It's really not that hard once you get the hang of it.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC