Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Thargoid Wars

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Re: Thargoid Wars

Post by Ironfist »

Guys,

Downloaded and installed version 4.5.2 last night.
Got my first station attack and a crash, only errors in the log file are these last 4 lines
12:41:51.375 [ship.missileLaunch.invalidPosition]: ***** ERROR: The missile_launch_position defines a position (0, 0, -20.5) behind the <ShipEntity 0x1eb54e98>{"Thargoid Warship" position: (-68829.5, 35264.8, 457556) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}. In future versions such missiles may explode on launch because they have to travel through the ship.
12:41:52.125 [ship.missileLaunch.invalidPosition]: ***** ERROR: The missile_launch_position defines a position (0, 0, -20.5) behind the <ShipEntity 0x1eac1010>{"Thargoid Warship" position: (-73643.9, 35902.8, 425715) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}. In future versions such missiles may explode on launch because they have to travel through the ship.
12:42:07.578 [ship.missileLaunch.invalidPosition]: ***** ERROR: The missile_launch_position defines a position (0, 0, -20.5) behind the <ShipEntity 0x1eac1010>{"Thargoid Warship" position: (-73858.7, 34550.8, 427712) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}. In future versions such missiles may explode on launch because they have to travel through the ship.
12:42:10.140 [ship.missileLaunch.invalidPosition]: ***** ERROR: The missile_launch_position defines a position (0, 0, -20.5) behind the <ShipEntity 0x1eabf980>{"Thargoid Warship" position: (-64938.4, 18149.7, 461817) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}. In future versions such missiles may explode on launch because they have to travel through the ship.

Any thoughts on where to start looking?
Thanks in advance
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Ironfist wrote:
Guys,

Downloaded and installed version 4.5.2 last night.
Got my first station attack and a crash, only errors in the log file are these last 4 lines

Code: Select all

12:41:51.375 [ship.missileLaunch.invalidPosition]: ***** ERROR: The missile_launch_position defines a position (0, 0, -20.5) behind the <ShipEntity 0x1eb54e98>{"Thargoid Warship" position: (-68829.5, 35264.8, 457556) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}. In future versions such missiles may explode on launch because they have to travel through the ship
Thanks in advance
At least it is not in Thargoid Wars oxp. That oxp does not contain a thargoidship at all. All the thargoids it summons come from other oxps. However it could be that the addition of certain thargoids induce a crash. Try to misjump. Than you probably also get a lot of thargoids added, and see if that also crashes. If yes, remove the thargoid containing oxps one at a time and repeat it until you found him.

The above error report are errors, but not of a crashing type. The current code is already replacing it with better positions.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Ironfist wrote:
12:42:10.140 [ship.missileLaunch.invalidPosition]: ***** ERROR: The missile_launch_position defines a position (0, 0, -20.5) behind the <ShipEntity 0x1eabf980>{"Thargoid Warship" position: (-64938.4, 18149.7, 461817) scanClass: CLASS_THARGOID status: STATUS_IN_FLIGHT}. In future versions such missiles may explode on launch because they have to travel through the ship.

Not there, I don't think; that error always gets logged when there are Thargoids about. If it bothers you, go into the shipdata.plist file and correct the missile launch position of the Thargoid mothership, which should be (0, -20.5, 0) , not (0, 0, -20.5).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Wildeblood wrote:
that error always gets logged when there are Thargoids about
Except with Griff's Thargoids... they use the correct launch position, I think.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Second Wave used to have this issue in one of the earlier versions (the shipdata settings were from an older version of Oolite) - if you've got that OXP installed and it's an older version then please update the current one (that doesn't have this issue). Links for that via the sig below.

The current value set for the trunk Thargoid Warships are 0.0 -46.0 91.0 , but it will of course be model dependent if the OXP generating this is using a different model. But as Eric says the trunk code will (for now) correct this on-the-fly anyway.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

That's in the Neolites, I just checked. It's also got the same numbers for aft eject position, which is definitely 'wrong'. (Do they ever eject anything, anyway?) I had always assumed the tharglets were supposed to appear directly below the centre of the mothership.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Wildeblood wrote:
I just checked. It's also got the same numbers for aft eject position, which is definitely 'wrong'. (Do they ever eject anything, anyway?)
Yes it was always wrong. For some reason the eject position of thargoids was the same as the missile launch position and nobody noticed until 1.75 (Except Griff who did it right but everybody else copied the wrong values without realising they were behind the ship).

Wildeblood wrote:
I had always assumed the tharglets were supposed to appear directly below the centre of the mothership.
Tharglets are launched as if it were missiles. In the past the code put them behind the ship and launched them at high speed forward, through the mothership. The only thing preventing them from crashing is that missiles are non-collidable during their first 0.25 seconds. Because of their high launch speed they passed the mother in the time that collision was disabled. But there were bugs in that part of the missile launch procedure that were ironed out in 1.75. At the same time the high launch velocity was reduced. Without changing the launch position to a correct one, it would result in always crashing the targlets. Now there is a check in place that corrects dangerous positions to a default position below and in front of the ship. Instead of correcting the values, you could also remove the entry. That would also lead to using the default position.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Tharglets are fires as missiles by the warship (see the shipdata.plist entry for the mother - its missiles are defined with the tharglet role and the AI spawns them by firing a missile off), so will appear at the missile launch position in shipdata.plist (which of course should be in front of the ship).

The figures don't actually matter too much except cosmetically, as long as they don't put the mothership then directly in the flightpath of the spawned tharglet.

Edit - Ninja'd!
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Guys,
Thanks for all the info, I will check through the other OXPs and correct the problem. I wonder what caused the crash - no messages in the debug console and those lines I posted where the only errors in the log.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ironfist wrote:
- no messages in the debug console
When you use the console you can type the following in the console when outside the station:

Code: Select all

missionVariables.thargoidwars_station_attack = "POSSIBLE"
and than dock. The mission should trigger within a minute. It is delayed with a timer. Although the reported error are irrelevant for the crash, I can not be sure that the mission did not trigger the problem. Juts try it a few times.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Guys,
I have been through all the OXPs that I am using and the only reference to thargoids is in thargoid wars, but this is not to the warship. So I downloaded the source code and took a trawl through that and low and behold it is in the shipdata.plist

"thargoid" =
{
aft_eject_position = "0.0 0.0 -20.5";

can I correct this by putting a custom shipdata-overrides.plist in my config folder? Also where should I post a comment to get this corrected in the next trunk build?

By the way Eric the trigger works fine - it just results in a crash:(
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Ironfist wrote:
Guys,
I have been through all the OXPs that I am using and the only reference to thargoids is in thargoid wars, but this is not to the warship. So I downloaded the source code and took a trawl through that and low and behold it is in the shipdata.plist

"thargoid" =
{

can I correct this by putting a custom shipdata-overrides.plist in my config folder? Also where should I post a comment to get this corrected in the next trunk build?
There is little need to correct the aft eject position, because thargoids never eject anything.
I just checked and in 1.75.3 the missile launch position is as Thargoid said earlier: missile_launch_position = "0.0 -46.0 91.0"; Although that number still seems silly to me. I've always assumed it was intended to be 0.0 -20.5 0.0 and someone just got their x, y & z mixed up and put them in the wrong order.

But remember what you posted earlier, Ironfist:-
So either you have an old shipdata.plist in your Oolite installation (could that happen?), or you have an OXP that copied the old numbers before they were changed. And yes, if it concerns you, you can change it by editing the shipdata.plist or by creating a shipdata-overrides.plist.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ironfist wrote:

can I correct this by putting a custom shipdata-overrides.plist in my config folder?
No, that value is correct. Only before 1.75 also the missile_launch_position used the same value, that was wrong.
Ironfist wrote:
By the way Eric the trigger works fine - it just results in a crash:(
Goot to hear that it crashed. That indicates that it is related to the thargoid addition. When it is in this oxp, than its probably caused by the latest change. I prepared a thargoid wars testversion were I don't delete the timer reference, but instead add a new variable to achieve the same goal. Please test this if it helps

- If yes, it means that some systems have problems deleting the timer reference at that moment.
- If not, it means that the bug is in one of the thargoids that gets added. It could be a shader or anything else, but than its not from this oxp and you probably will get it more generally when encountering thargoids.
Wildblood wrote:
I've always assumed it was intended to be 0.0 -20.5 0.0 and someone just got their x, y & z mixed up and put them in the wrong order.
The fact that it always was identical to the eject position, suggest to me that it always has been a C&P error but was never spotted.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Eric Walch wrote:
Ironfist wrote:

can I correct this by putting a custom shipdata-overrides.plist in my config folder?
No, that value is correct.
It's well inside the body of the thargoid vessel, so not really an ideal eject position.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Eric,
Downloaded the test version and will give it a try. Will post results.