[RELEASE] Enhanced Vipers

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

[RELEASE] Enhanced Vipers

Post by montana05 »

Overview
========

This OXP adds enhanced Viper Patrols, Viper Pursuits, and Viper Interceptors, to richer, stable systems; GalCop Deputies to
stable poor/average systems; and Bounty Hunters to unstable/dangerous systems. They are not über ships - far from it - but with the
advent of heavy pirates and heavy assassins into the core game, some toughening of GalCop Vipers seemed appropriate.

Hopefully, the sight of a squad of Vipers being trounced by a gang of bandits, or getting slaughtered by a bunch of assassins,
will become less common. Some of the enhanced Vipers have highly skilled pilots, so any players acting as bandits should beware.

History
======

In a dangerous Ooniverse, the richer stable systems had traditionally been safe havens for traders. However, in the poorer,
less well-policed systems, piracy was increasing. When tougher ships became available, pirate clans grew bolder, and those
safe havens became the target of increasingly frequent raids. GalCop Vipers bore the brunt of these raids, and their losses
began to mount. When trade started to suffer, the wealthy merchant guilds got together, and decided something had to be done.
After much haggling, they struck a deal with GalCop, Faulcon de Lacy, and Griff Industries, to finance the building of enhanced
replacements for the ageing Vipers. With a view to spreading the potential benefits to poorer systems, the Bounty Hunters Guild
was brought onboard. As is often the case though, budgetary constraints - brought about by spiraling costs and pocket-lining
by unscrupulous bureaucrats - limited the scope of the enhancements.

Nevertheless, GalCop's enhanced Vipers are now starting to make their presence felt, and this it is hoped will eventually
turn the tide, and perhaps restore some semblance of normality. The improved performance and durability of the enhanced Vipers
has also attracted the more skillful pilots, and recruitment - which had been declining - is on the up.

Credits
======

Cody (concept and lore)
Griff (models and basic textures)
another_commander (basic specular map escape capsule)

Remarks
=======

Additional to the enhanced Vipers the GalCop police emblem and individual escape capsules are added to all core-vipers.
Viper Pursuit, in the core-game just shown as Viper, is now correctly named.

The package is adjusted to Illicit Unlock OXP, Sniper Gun OXP, Carriers.OXP and Carriers_with_turrets.OXP.

Requirements
============

Oolite V 1.88 or higher.

Details
======

For additional details, please check the wiki-page: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Enhanced_Vipers

License
=======

This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).
To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0

Version History
=============

V 0.50
initial release

Conclusion:
Surprise, surprise, this time no Uber ships with multiple lasers. These Vipers are not much stronger than the core-ships, but got better pilots.
The entire OXP was the idea of Cody, and the overview and history are his creations. I merely added some technical support. :wink:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [RELEASE] Enhanced Vipers

Post by Cholmondely »

Interesting!

Which oxp's is this one designed to balance out?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:30 pm
Interesting!

Which oxp's is this one designed to balance out?
Actually to balance the core-game. We do have nowadays hard pirates and assassins, but the GalCop police remained nearly the same.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

montana05 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:24 pm
I merely added some technical support.
Yeah right! All I provided was an idea and backstory - Montana did all the hard stuff. Nice work, amigo!
montana05 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:38 pm
Actually to balance the core-game.
<nods> The core Vipers are no match for heavy assassins and heavy pirates, with skilled pilots doing their thing. A core heavy assassin with a high skill rating flying an Asp can be a tough cookie to deal with, even in a fully-kitted out Cobra III.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Coyote
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element

Post by Coyote »

Endorsed by Quicksilver Messenger Service - we always deliver!
¿Dónde está la cerveza?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Downloaded!

I'm having another stab at Hermitage ... maybe the enhanced vipers (extra-venemous spittle?) will help keep the putrid, pernicious and purblind pirates off my back. I only get a mining cobra Mk1 with a mining laser, so my tendency to skedaddle will be hampered by the slower speed...
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:00 am
Downloaded!

I'm having another stab at Hermitage ... maybe the enhanced vipers (extra-venemous spittle?) will help keep the putrid, pernicious and purblind pirates off my back. I only get a mining cobra Mk1 with a mining laser, so my tendency to skedaddle will be hampered by the slower speed...
This ships only show up in systems with governments above Dictator or in multi-gov and below as bounty hunters.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 am
This ships only show up in systems with governments above Dictator or in multi-gov and below as bounty hunters.
Phkb's Easy Hermitage start is based in a corporate (Rexebe), hence my download.
Comments wanted: