Liners OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Liners OXP

Post by cbr »

Well, i would like a give it a try, but i need a little bit of mentoring on certain topics :)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

cbr wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:28 pm
Well, i would like a give it a try, but i need a little bit of mentoring on certain topics :)
Please do. I'm sure we can help out where needed.
I don't think I have really done much towards this OXZ, so the current version is the staring point, although I have made a start on the shipdata.plist. I am happy to finish that and I also have a list somewhere of the other issues with it. I'll try to locate that, then I can send everything I have to you.
Up for the challenge? :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Up for the challenge? :D
I think so . . . :) :wink:

I started working on version 1.6.1. adding new textures and incorporate the Orisis.oxp ( which i believed was requested ),
any lists with known issues are welcome... ( no issues even better )

Future developments,
CoBRa Heavy Industries expanding the DTT Galaxy liners
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

@cbr: Getting better and better :D
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

:D

I'll keep trying ( and learning )
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Liners oxz v1.7.0 up for grabs in the expansion manager :D :D

Thanks to all involved...
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

A small addon for Liners that adds some market information for the two dockable liners (Emerald and Tiger Shark). I'd be interested in any opinions on the market variations I've added - essentially I've created a heightened demand for consumer goods (except for illegals).

Also in this pack are some BGS 2.4 docking texture references, so docking at a liner with BGS should now be a prettier experience.

Download v1.2 here: LinersMarkets.oxz
Last edited by phkb on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Thank you phkb, At long last , Liners now have a Market. They did way back when, but for some reason the Markets disappeared with subsequent releases of Oolite.

Two small points of note from play testing the Markets thus far, and when I say small, I really do mean small, because previously Liners were Eye Candy and only of any interest when they were destroyed by Pirates , in which case a Pilot got to scoop mostly escape pods and lots of them (predominantly containing Slaves).

1, The Liners Market does not appear on the In system Commodity Markets screen ( a small concern for those of us who take advantage of In System trading.

2, A Station for Extra Planets seems to have been sacrificed . i.e Tionisla loses its MG3 Globe Station , While Isinor , that seems un populated with Liners, loses its GZ2 Octahedron Station. I am as yet , unsure how the addition of a Commodity Market to Liners would remove an extra Planet and indeed its Station for Extra Planets,

These are, as I said , Small points, I am much happier with Liners as Dockables having a Market. unlike Jaguar Company Bases and indeed Galactic Navy Behemoths which remain, very much, alas , Marketless.

So Thank you once again for finally re introdcing markets to Liners.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks Duggan.
Duggan wrote:
The Liners Market does not appear on the In system Commodity Markets screen
In for the next release.
Duggan wrote:
A Station for Extra Planets seems to have been sacrificed
This doesn't appear to be related to the Liners Markets addon. I just removed it from my game and I still didn't have a Globe Station at Tionisla. Might need to be a question for the SFEP thread.

Thanks for testing this. I'll look at getting a market script created for the other packs shortly. Happy to get suggestions on what commodities should be in/out, high/low at these stations.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hello phkb,

The issue regarding my losing an extra station seems to have been caused by my having both versions of Liners from the Manager, having removed the older version, the situation seems to have resolved itself.

With regard to Commodities , it may be worth having them priced at a level commensurate with the system they are in and further having a few to sell to visiting pilots. I am not sure of the cargo capacity of liners but my Cobra Mk III has a 35 tonne capacity so I would assume a Liner can carry at least as Much as a Python or Boa across the commodities available to buy, Further the weightless commodities (gold, platinum and gem stones) could conceivably be available in quantities exceeding those that scooped cargo pods containing these have in them . I have for instance, scooped cargo pods containing as much as 26 gem stones 11 Gold and 11 Platinum.

With regard to the Weighted Commodities, I am not so sure that such liners trading capacity should be limited to just 8 tonnes of each commodity.

I approve very much of the marginally higher commodities selling prices for traders to sell at (as opposed to the disparately low ones) as this seems to serve as an incentive for traders to dock with Liners. Moving on from that and in the same vein (This is where the system centric pricing comes in ) having slightly lower buying prices for traders wishing to pick up a bargain would equally be more sauce for the goose.

These are only opinions though.

All in all , this Markets add on for Liners is an addition to the immersiveness of Oolite and a most welcome one at that .
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Duggan wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 pm
....by my having both versions of Liners from the Manager....
Oops, my bad. Old version now disabled/removed. Sorry.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 1.1 of Liners Markets is now available. I've tweaks the prices a bit, to pull them back from being so much higher than the system price. They should still be higher, though. I've also increased the capacity of gold, platinum and gem-stones, as these don't take up a lot of space. I've also added some low-cost radioactives to sell, as I imagine liners would produce quite a bit of waste. I can't imagine a liner producing anything else.

However, I've left the market capacity at 8 for the standard commodities, and my reasoning for this is that a liner is technically not a trade ship. Its primary purpose is passenger transport and entertainment, and I imagine a majority of their internal space would be given over to these aspects. Having the ability to buy/sell copious quantities of anything would seem strange.

Anyway, link above should get you the update. I'll add it to the download manager shortly.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

I think the liners could be an interesting market for traders with especially food (items).

According to the link below

3000 people consume more than 80 tons of food/drinks per 7 days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provision ... uise_ship)
phkb

Post by phkb »

cbr wrote:
3000 people consume more than 80 tons of food/drinks per 7 days
True, although would they have 80t of food on board at all times, or would only a percentage of that be present at a given time? They might have good prices on consumables (which I've tried to simulate), but their ability to store large quantities of it at one time would surely be limited.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Also, not all passengers will be travelling first class … as per early 20th-century liners, there might be a hefty chunk travelling in "steerage" - i.e. in cargo pods, like slaves. Still, though, if nothing else, a liner's arrival might easily put a short-term dent in a station's food supplies. And there might be a similar demand for liquor, wines, and luxuries for the top-end passengers.