Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Thionisla Orbital GraveYard

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Thionisla Orbital GraveYard

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

maik wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Would it be a nice idea to commerate some of the past great contributors to Oolite with a memorial in the graveyard? Thinking for example of Dr Nil and others.
Wouldn't a memorial be for dead people?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
that reminds me...a plane crashes on the border between Canada and the USA...on which side do they bury the survivors?

Oh, I don't know, best time to remember someone is while they're alive. Long as the bell attached to the coffin ain't ringin' and the remembered doesn't hear the angels singin', who knows what tomorrows bringin'...epitaphs for departed developers and absent authors.....

"Born: we think so."
"Died: in the year :?: AO(After Oolite :D )."

"Here lies Dr. Nil, became ill, took a pill, if not for that he'd have been here still."

Better yet, make your own for your stone...

"CommonSenseOTB, very common, no sense, outside-the-box??, better put him back in then."

Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Could I have "Gone, but not yet forgotten!"
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I've not actually got the graveyard installed, for fear of it dropping my FPS down too much.

How does it work though? What I was thinking, you could target an individual memorial and get a message for example "Dr Nil, father of the Commies" as a tribute to his OXP.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
I've not actually got the graveyard installed, for fear of it dropping my FPS down too much.

How does it work though? What I was thinking, you could target an individual memorial and get a message for example "Dr Nil, father of the Commies" as a tribute to his OXP.
The way the oxp is written, you can easy design a monument of your own add it to your custom oxp with the role of a monument, and this monument will show up occasionally. Like the Steve Jobs monument I created some time ago. (And still have to add to the main oxp)

You don't have to worry about FPS when not in the Tionisla system. You only notice something In the Tionisla system itself but when you stay outside of the draw distance of the monuments, the FPS drop is still small. You only will have a strong impact when flying to the graveyard itself. On my system it drops to 30 fps and that is not noticeable in flying experience compared to 100 fps.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Fatleaf wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Could I have "Gone, but not yet forgotten!"
How about "Feed me!" :P

http://youtu.be/L7SkrYF8lCU
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Some days ago I watched the western-movie "The good, the bad and the ugly" directed by Sergio Leone and thougt that it would be very funny to have a .OXP that transfers the plot of this movie to the ooniverse: A treasure-hunt through the galaxy leading to two tons of gold buried in one of the monuments in TOGJ ...

Unfortunately writing such a oxp is far beyond my scripting abilities.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Captain Beatnik wrote:
Some days ago I watched the western-movie "The good, the bad and the ugly" directed by Sergio Leone and thougt that it would be very funny to have a .OXP that transfers the plot of this movie to the ooniverse: A treasure-hunt through the galaxy leading to two tons of gold buried in one of the monuments in TOGJ ...

Unfortunately writing such a oxp is far beyond my scripting abilities.
Don't underestimate yourself. If you feel like trying it, you definitely should. Actually a hunt where you get sent from one planet to the other is a pretty straightforward mission. It's basically the same as the in-built "Thargoid plans" mission. You would of course beef it up a little. But the Thargoid plans script should be a very good starting point for getting the basics of this type of mission.

I think it would be a rather excellent proposition for a first OXP. :D
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

Hey,

I installed this a while ago (maybe the third oxp ever), but just arrived in the system earlier today.
Very, very impressive.
I thought it would be larger, from having read about it in one of the Elite stories, but still - that is not a complaint.
:)

I spent an hour, cruising at minimum speed through the area, and amongst the monuments.
A lot of thought went into the designs, and accommodating various religions, I see.

Suggestions, for if there is a future update:

- Don't have the space station - at the graveyard, of course - offer anything but fuel. No sense (to me) for it to be offering modifications like weapon, defensive upgrades, etc. Should be more like a huge museum. Have it offer postcards or souvenirs, instead (2 to 5 credits price is adequate, maybe 10 credits if you buy a T-shirt).

- I couldn't read the writing on the back (side away from the sun) of some of the monuments. Need some way to outfit our ship with flood lights. Maybe the graveyard space station could have these in stock (?).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Just edited some of the wiki page to note that the main download includes the TOGY_Main OXP and the Monuments OXP.

Can I ask if the Rusties OXP (related OXP) can be used with the Monuments OXP or is it one or the other?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
Can I ask if the Rusties OXP (related OXP) can be used with the Monuments OXP or is it one or the other?
Rusties has no relation other than that some of those models are also included in the shipwreck pack. But the shipwreck pack is not a module by the author. The wrecks were only used as a placeholder for testing while the monuments were designed by others. But as a lot of the old users did like the rusty ships between the monuments, it is presented as a separate oxp.

All the monuments have the same role, so anyone can design a monument of his own with this role (and a low weight factor) and it will be added in the mix.

About the selling of equipment: This oxp is an old one and probably it was not possible at that time to give it a custom technical level. I'll change it to 0 now on my local copy. And yes, it probably can do with a custom commodity list that replaces "food" by "ice cream" and "textiles" by "t-shirts"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

@ DeathKnyte
If you are sightseeing as you travel around Galaxy One, don't forget to check out the Tionisla Chronucle array while you are at Tionisla. Also you are not too far away from one of the Giant Space Pizzas. A bit further afield but also well worth a visit is the Tianve Pulsar.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eric Walch wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Rusties has no relation other than that some of those models are also included in the shipwreck pack. But the shipwreck pack is not a module by the author. The wrecks were only used as a placeholder for testing while the monuments were designed by others. But as a lot of the old users did like the rusty ships between the monuments, it is presented as a separate oxp.
Right so unless I want Rusty ships in shipyards, I should remove it? Rusty ships are included in Monuments OXP?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
Right so unless I want Rusty ships in shipyards, I should remove it? Rusty ships are included in Monuments OXP?
The original rusties are found [EliteWiki] here. It is bit confusing as the filename is "mPackRedux.oxp". Those are buyable and you'll see in game. The special [EliteWiki] shipwreck pack will only add ships in the graveyard. But Selezen explicit stated that is was never mend that the rusties should appear in the graveyard, even when that was the most downloaded version in the past. Therefor they are now presented as an optional download.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
And yes, it probably can do with a custom commodity list that replaces "food" by "ice cream" and "textiles" by "t-shirts"
<tries to imagine Eric holding a ton of ice cream> :shock: :lol:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Eric Walch wrote:
But Selezen explicit stated that is was never mend that the rusties should appear in the graveyard, even when that was the most downloaded version in the past. Therefor they are now presented as an optional download.
And I'll reiterate it - the rusty ships were only included as placeholders until we sorted out some simple monument models.

The station has to stay, as it's a canonical part of the TOGY. Read up on your Dark Wheel! :-)