Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

NEW : Bank of the Black Monks OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: NEW : Bank of the Black Monks OXP

Post by Fatleaf »

Griff wrote:
well spotted! they don't fit :lol: i'll see about scaling them down
How about not scaling down all the Gunships as they look great with their current size, but you could have a defender Gunship that IS scaled down.

On the issue of the name it is called: 'Holy Avenger Mark II Tri-Laser Gunship'. As it states tri-Laser would mean three LASERS not two and a plasma turret. But if it had a rear laser then it would fit and it wouldn't alter the ships appearance at all!
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Fatleaf wrote:
How about not scaling down all the Gunships as they look great with their current size, but you could have a defender Gunship that IS scaled down.
There was another blackmonk ship that didn't get finished in time to make it into the oxp
ImageImage
The idea was that as you took longer and longer to repay, tougher and tougher blackmonk ships would chase you, these guys were going to be the first (weak) level of debt collector, maybe they could be used as defence ships and we can then leave the gunships as they are?
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Griff wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
There was another blackmonk ship that didn't get finished in time to make it into the oxp
ImageImage
The idea was that as you took longer and longer to repay, tougher and tougher blackmonk ships would chase you, these guys were going to be the first (weak) level of debt collector, maybe they could be used as defence ships and we can then leave the gunships as they are?
:shock: Those are amazing! It would be great if there was always two orbiting the Monastery and six inside ready for launch. But I'm just throwing ideas about. How are they armed? Looks like plasma cannons.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

yeah, two plasma cannons - which crazily enough can track individual targets so the ships sometimes fly around making a Y shape trying to shoot everything at once.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Griff wrote:
yeah, two plasma cannons - which crazily enough can track individual targets so the ships sometimes fly around making a Y shape trying to shoot everything at once.
Ooo I really like those. I might be asking you if I can pinch them for a wip I have in G7. But that is a looong way off yet. Working on getting the story right first before any work on coding starts.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Griff- This ship looks fantastic. I'm VERY impressed.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BuggyBY »

Smivs wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Dispatch the gunships to eradicate this heretic!
"Er, we can't, Sir. They're wedged in the dock!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
ImageImage
I definitely support that suggestion! Amazing work on that ship model, it would be a shame to never see it in-game. As I'm unlikely to ever actually attack a monastery, I'd also like the idea of having one or two defenders constantly in orbit, although two at once might be just a bit too intimidating. I was thinking something more akin to Rebecca Watson's ship at the Tianve pulsar.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ok, i'll dig out this oxp and add it in as a station defender, it's quite an old ship (made before Oolite supported normal mapping) and the design is pretty much stolen from an alien warrior's space suit helmet that was in an advert for a computer game at the time!
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Griff wrote:
ok, i'll dig out this oxp and add it in as a station defender, it's quite an old ship (made before Oolite supported normal mapping) and the design is pretty much stolen from an alien warrior's space suit helmet that was in an advert for a computer game at the time!
Great :D
And while your at it could you give the Gunship a rear laser mount so its name and description can be fitting. I know I am banging on about this but if something says it has three lasers... well, three lasers it should be then!!!
I will shut up about it then, honest :roll:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oo heck, i edited the wiki the other day when you first mentioned it so that the entry for the gunship was 2 lasers and a turret, i don;t think it's ever had 3 lasers so i assumed the entry on the wiki was wrong (as it also said the ship was player flyable), i didn't notice the ship was called the 'Holy Avenger Mark II Tri-Laser Gunship', what's the 2 version of tri? dai? - 'Holy Avenger Mark II Dai-Laser Gunship', makes it sound a bit Welsh :D
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dual laser, Griff.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ok, i've added in the station defence ship to the shady blackmonk oxp - i'm not sure if i've got their stats right, they're fairly weak, fast with 2 rapidly firing but weak turrets, the station has a squad of 6

Code: Select all

max_energy = 120; 
	max_flight_pitch = 0.5; 
	max_flight_roll = 0.6; 
	max_flight_speed = 450; 
	missiles = 2; 
// turret stats - the ship has 2
		{type="ball_turret";
		fire_rate = 0.25;
		weapon_range = 2000;
		weapon_energy = 3;
		}

I've started numbering the oxp as if it's anything like my other uploads it's bound to rapidly go through many revisions as bugs are found.
If anyone has better stats for the ship let me know and i'll add them in - they seemed really reluctant to attack me but i don;t know if that's because i was spawning the monk station outside the main one and they were letting the regular volice vipers deal with me!
link is https://www.box.com/shared/7twwbaelcc (plus it's also on the Blackmonk wiki page)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Griff, I love these things :D

But I gave them the energy and recharge rate of an S9 and thought they are just right with that as I could too easily pick them off as they launched. They hardly got off a shot! And attacking a Monastery should prove to a very silly thing to do!!!

I have changed my mind as to having any of them on patrol around the Monastery. I like them in the Bank to begin with.

The AI needs a look at as none of them really was that aggressive and the first time I shoot the Monastery only one defender launches until I shot it again then the rest soon to come out.

But I'm at a loss to see why you have gave them a bounty!?!?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Fatleaf wrote:
But I'm at a loss to see why you have gave them a bounty!?!?
It's the taste of paradise, obvs!
I think that's been accidentally copied over from whatever ship template i used originally, i'll take it out and re-upload the oxp.
Yeah, i don't know either why they're so docile. The station goes absolutely ape when you shoot it, but the defenders just flit about aimlessly, i wonder if they need a certain scan_class and their weapon stats tweaking? maybe they don't fire becuase their guns are too short range for them to be happy about getting close enough to fire off a shot?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Griff wrote:
Yeah, i don't know either why they're so docile. The station goes absolutely ape when you shoot it, but the defenders just flit about aimlessly, i wonder if they need a certain scan_class and their weapon stats tweaking?
Have they got the right AI? InterceptAI or policeInterceptAI or whatever it's called?