PC Joystick setup

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

PC Joystick setup

Post by Screet »

Hi,

there are a few bugs in the PC joystick setup (v1.72.1):

- the player has to hit return in order to browse to the second part of the list, which is inconsistent with common behaviour of the game (just hit right or left to switch)
- after changing entries, the player cannot go out of the menu the common way, 1 for launch or p to stop pause mode work, though
- after changing an entry and leaving the setup, it can be activated again, but not modified
- when set to zero throttle, the craft moves backwards, slowly

missing features:
- the hat switch is not supported
- when changing the sensitivity, there is no visual feedback. I suggest to change the way the bars for pitch/roll/yaw are being drawn. Please do NOT add further spam on the display by adding a text message...when switching views, the spamming is already annoying and after the message is gone it's pretty unclear which side one is viewing for as long as the craft does not move

Screet
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: PC Joystick setup

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Screet wrote:
- after changing entries, the player cannot go out of the menu the common way, 1 for launch or p to stop pause mode work, though
I hadn't noticed that, but I setup the joystick while docked. You can press 2 to go back to the options menu, or F5 to return to the status screen.
- after changing an entry and leaving the setup, it can be activated again, but not modified
I hadn't noticed this. I have noticed that after changing an entry, it takes two preses of an up/down arrow key to go to the next entry.
- when set to zero throttle, the craft moves backwards, slowly
If using an analog axis for thrust control, yes, it does.
missing features:
- the hat switch is not supported
It's not in windows, true. But it is in linux, and possibly OSX. It may be in how the OS treats hats. Linux treats hats as 2-axis micro-joysticks, regardless if the hat is digital (pushbutton type) or analog (true micro-joystick). Most hats are digital, and windows treats digital hats as digital hats, which Oolite ignores. Maybe coding the section of Oolite that handles hats to look for buttons as well as axis - like thrust control currently does - would resolve the issue.
- when changing the sensitivity, there is no visual feedback. I suggest to change the way the bars for pitch/roll/yaw are being drawn. Please do NOT add further spam on the display by adding a text message...when switching views, the spamming is already annoying and after the message is gone it's pretty unclear which side one is viewing for as long as the craft does not move

Screet
Adding a small LED style indicator to the HUD might be useful in this respect. A small P that shows when precision mode is on, perhaps.

As for knowing what view you're using, look at your scanner. The pie cut drawn on the scanner screen indicates the view you're currently on.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

would coding this approach work for POV hat support ( cross platform )

SDL_JoystickEventState
http://www.libsdl.org/docs/html/sdljoys ... state.html

SDL_JoyHatEvent
http://www.libsdl.org/docs/html/sdljoyhatevent.html
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

(EDIT: incorrect revision number)
Trunk revision 2046 fixes the following "Joystick Configuration" menu issues:
1. Navigation highlight cursor lost.
2. Incorrect "Back" behavior when more than two function-pages.
3. Added left/right arrow key handling.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Screet wrote:

Screet
Adding a small LED style indicator to the HUD might be useful in this respect. A small P that shows when precision mode is on, perhaps.
I just wanted to bump this thread to ask if it is currently possible to do as Cmdr Wyvern suggests above, and have an indicator (preferably flashing) on the HUD to show that precision mode is engaged. I often find that I forget that I've left it on, and only realise it when my Cobby responds sluggishly when I get jumped by a bunch of anti-social pirate types.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I just wanted to bump this thread to ask if it is currently possible to do as Cmdr Wyvern suggests above, and have an indicator (preferably flashing) on the HUD to show that precision mode is engaged.
There is one (in trunk). Not flashing, though.
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

_ds_ wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I just wanted to bump this thread to ask if it is currently possible to do as Cmdr Wyvern suggests above, and have an indicator (preferably flashing) on the HUD to show that precision mode is engaged.
There is one (in trunk). Not flashing, though.
Good enough though.. thanks! :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

There is a small oddity, still present in 1.74 trunk, rev 3015.

Choosing a button for the ECM will send me back to first page of joystick configuration, focus on the "more" entry.
That will respond only when Enter pressed 2nd time.

Else I find the joystick (gamepad) configuration working nicely, intuitive and all.