Destroying a derelict is counted as a kill

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Destroying a derelict is counted as a kill

Post by dybal »

Most times (but not always) I can get two kills from a single foe if I force him to abandon ship and afterwards destroy the derelict. Right now I "persuaded" two Mambas to abandon ship (two kills), scooped the escape capsules and destroyed both derelicts (another kill from one of them)

I also can get increase my kill count by destroying any derelicts I find.

EDIT:

I looked at the logs:

- the ship that gave me two kills, one when the escape pod was launched and the other when I destroyed the derelict, was abandoned due to a call to ship.abandonShip() from Towbar (there were log messages for that)
- the ship that gave me a single kill didn't have the log message from Towbar saying it was forcing it to abandon, so I infer the abandonShip call was made in the core game in ShipEntity.m takeEnergyDamage
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Destroying a derelict is counted as a kill

Post by another_commander »

This must be OXP related. I don't recall anything about awarding a kill for causing the enemy to launch their escape pod in the core game.
dybal
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Destroying a derelict is counted as a kill

Post by dybal »

Yep, I found it, it's Towbar (I hadn't noticed the player's score being incremented in the code).

But wouldn't it be better if the core game awarded a kill at ShipEntity's takeEnergyDamage when it calls abandonShip and not award a kill in PlayerEntity's collectBounty if the "victim" was unpiloted? (but still award a kill there if 'other' was piloted)

A kill would mean "rendering the opponent harmless", which can be done by destroying the opponent, ship and all, or by forcing it to eject, instead of only by destroying the ship, even if the opponent is long gone - think of derelicts created by NPCs and found by the player... I have found quite a bit of them, and by destroying them I inflate my ranking without combat...

Ditto for the bounty... I've collected bounties by destroying derelicts created by NPCs. Shouldn't the bounty go with the pilot: award it to the player when the player kills the pilot by destroying its ship (an immersion killer, since it implies GalCop is all-seeing) or when the pilot's escape capsule is taken to a GalCop station.