Route split unnecessarily

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

jh145
Dangerous
Dangerous

Route split unnecessarily

Post by jh145 »

From Matere (G5) to Atmaa is 6.8ly. Oolite 1.82.0.6492 (the only one I tested) either won't let me make the jump directly (it forces a stopover at Edquonen), or I don't know the keyboard magic to force the issue. Bug?

In contrast, Matere to Biradi (shorter distance but passing "right through" Edquonen on the chart) is a direct jump.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Route split unnecessarily

Post by Cody »

Curious - just had a quick sort of look (I don't have a usable save nearby), and can confirm that (I think). <grins>
PG's interactive chart does the same - insists on splitting it into two jumps, and saying it's 6.8ly. Rounding?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

That distance usually shows as 7.2 LY in Oolite development version 1.81.0.6397-150311-842bd86 (x86-32 test release) ...but when I first arrived at Matere it showed as 6.8 LY on long range chart!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Putting the two system coordinates into the formula, it should be considered a 7.2 LY jump (non-quantified distance is 7.44, so well within the range)

I have no idea why it might be reporting as 6.8 in some circumstances, but I'll have a look and see if I can get it to do this here.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Ah! Not - despite all appearances - a bug.

When you have the route planner up, the distance shown is not the straight-line distance to the system, but the length of the route.

Matere - Atmaa = 7.2 LY (7.44 rounded down)
Matere - Edquonen = 2.8 LY (3.25 rounded down - rounded down twice, in fact, due to the way the hyperspace Y coordinate works: you'd normally expect 3.25 to round down to 3.2 but in this case it doesn't)
Edquonen - Atmaa = 4.0 LY (4.29 rounded down)
2.8 + 4.0 = 6.8

So the system is 7.2 LY away, which is the distance reported without the route planner, but the shortest route is 6.8 LY due to hyperspace quantification.

There are a few other similar cases scattered around the charts - indeed, there's another one not far from here between Usinribe and Teusatve, with a few choices of intermediate system(s)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Fascinating! Rounded down twice, eh? Gotta love quirks like that!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Now you can imagine my insanity in trying to find quickest routes by time using partial misjumps.

The formulas I'm using don't generate consistent results, so I'm unable to back-calculate the shortest times and am forced to brute-force try 100's of possibilities to find the best one.
Doesn't help that even the partial misjump percentage values I use can sometimes be rounded down, resulting in even my best estimates being failures.

Makes the game more interesting though, so long as all the 6.8 LY routes that worked in ancient Elite work in Oolite.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Switeck wrote:
Now you can imagine my insanity in trying to find quickest routes by time using partial misjumps.
<chortles>
Switeck wrote:
Makes the game more interesting though
Aye, that it does!
jh145
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jh145 »

cim wrote:
When you have the route planner up, the distance shown is not the straight-line distance to the system, but the length of the route.
D'oh, should've realised, sorry. I only upgraded from 1.80 recently. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.