Thargoid Wars accidental cowardice

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid Wars accidental cowardice

Post by ffutures »

Not exactly a bug, but...

I have Thargoid Wars installed, and on the whole like it a lot. But several times now attacks have come in while I'm in the middle of buying goods or looking for cargo contracts, or using some other menu - and if my reflexes are a bit slow this sometimes results in me accidentally pressing on the wrong option and cowering under the table instead of going out to kick Thargoid ass. I don't know if this has any game effects, but it's annoying. Any chance of changing it to pressing Y and N or something, instead of cursor and enter?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Thargoid Wars accidental cowardice

Post by Diziet Sma »

It's perhaps a good idea to post this to Eric's Thargoid Wars thread.. most OXP authors have email notifications set up for their OXP threads, so that they're less likely to miss such reports/requests.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Just by chance I logged in today. :)

I thought it to be a safe when presenting the page with a timer, instead of already on docking. It also makes sense that the attack only starts after being docked for a while. And yes, that can interfere with the actions in progress.

I don't see an quick way to change this, other than change the default option from accepting to rejecting the offer. If more people think like changing the default option, I could implement it.

And yes, better discuss this in the proper thread mentioned above.

EDIT: thinking about it, I think the default is already rejecting to prevent accidental launching
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Sorry - I did a search on Thargoid Wars and for some reason that thread didn't come up in the results - possibly I was looking in the wrong board somehow. It's not a big deal, it's just a little annoying.
vsfc
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by vsfc »

I find this annoying too.
May be adding another screen after accidental rejection like
“Commander! Really? Don’t be a chicken…
And some options to confirm to hide under the table or go launch
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ffutures wrote:
Sorry - I did a search on Thargoid Wars and for some reason that thread didn't come up in the results - possibly I was looking in the wrong board somehow.
I'm guessing you used the BB's own (woefully inadequate) built-in search feature? Might I humbly suggest you try using the Oolite Bulletin Board Browser Search Plugin, instead? Far more accurate and relevant search results, guaranteed! (That's how I found the thread for my link above) :wink:
vsfc wrote:
May be adding another screen after accidental rejection like
“Commander! Really? Don’t be a chicken…
And some options to confirm to hide under the table or go launch
I'd be in favour of that. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Jut my two cents...
If a Thargoid attack is going on, it will go on, no matter what the commander Jameson thinks about it. The war does not disappear if Jameson decides to go for cover. So why not make this simply a note, not a choice. >>Please note, Thargoid attack under way<<
And Jameson has all the time to sign his contracts, buy some goods and then launch to join the fight. So do the other pilots, so the situation outside could be the same as before.

It's not, that Thargoids arrive from hyperspace directly beside the station and attack it within seconds, is it?
I had the same feeling in randonm hits OXP (pirate attack while docking), where I thout - you better let me buy some fuel guys, I might be of more help than with empty tanks...

If your decision is to be coward, you may alway go to the next system by a nice hyperspace jump.