Bug when picking up gold cargo

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Bug when picking up gold cargo

Post by phkb »

I was on route to Esgebi (gal 2), and blasting my way through a number of pirates. I had a load of 33t of liquor/wines, so I thought I might pick up a couple of the free cargo canisters that were now drifting around. So I grab the first canister. 15kg of gold! "Score!" I thought. That doesn't take up any cargo space. I picked up the next canister. 10kg gold! "Double score!" I thought. But then I saw the message saying cargo bay full. I checked my manifest and sure enough it said "Load 35 of 35t", even though the numbers in the columns didn't add to 35t. (I have a screenshot as proof, if anyone wants to see it - it's just a manifest list).

So, my question: is this by design, or is it an actual bug?

(Edit: this is version in 1.77.1)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Bug when picking up gold cargo

Post by Smivs »

Yes, this is correct. You scoop gold etc in a standard cargo pod (which has to go in the hold), then at the next station, assuming that you don't sell it, it is removed from the cargo pod and placed in the ship's safe.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Fair enough, although that doesn't make sense either really. How does it get from the safe into a cargo canister when a ship explodes for me to scoop up?
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

Yup, it does to that, doesn't it - I only just noticed it because of the effect being mentioned here :D :D :D

It's not like I haven't been playing this game for a few years ....
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote:
Fair enough, although that doesn't make sense either really. How does it get from the safe into a cargo canister when a ship explodes for me to scoop up?
I must admit, I'm really looking forward to seeing Smivs come up with some handwavium to explain this one.. :twisted: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

phkb wrote:
How does it get from the safe into a cargo canister when a ship explodes for me to scoop up?
Most ships' safes are actually just standard cargo canisters welded to the cockpit bulkhead ...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
phkb wrote:
I must admit, I'm really looking forward to seeing Smivs come up with some handwavium to explain this one.. :twisted: :lol:
Well, it's simple really....
The safe has seperate compartments for gold, gemstones and platinum. These are fabricated from folded and corrugated bakingfoilium . When the ship is destroyed and they are released into space, the air trapped within the bakingfoilium canisters expands, inflating them to the same size as a regular cargo pod. This feature ensures that they are easy to see and scoop, thus aiding salvage.
:D
phkb

Post by phkb »

Ooookay, right, so I'm flying this you-beaut, top-of-the-line, fully-kitted-out Cobbie MkIII, with a tin foil safe that can hold hundreds of kilos of gold that "magically" expands when exposed to space?

Sure, that sounds feasible. :roll:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

<chuckles>
Diogenese Senna
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Diogenese Senna »

Smivs wrote:
Well, it's simple really....
The safe has seperate compartments for gold, gemstones and platinum. These are fabricated from folded and corrugated bakingfoilium . When the ship is destroyed and they are released into space, the air trapped within the bakingfoilium canisters expands, inflating them to the same size as a regular cargo pod. This feature ensures that they are easy to see and scoop, thus aiding salvage.
:D
And it's a Monday morning to boot ... :D
Location - Galaxy 5 : Python Explorer : Elite
'Death by Wife is fast becoming a real world OXP mission'
phkb

Post by phkb »

Seriously, there does appear to be an issue here somewhere...

If I scoop up gold, two things are happening (1) a spare spot in my cargo bag is taken up, and (2) the random amount of gold in the container is added to my gold already in the safe. Technically, these are just two variables in my current ship definition.

However, theoretically I now have an empty cargo canister, because the gold was transferred to my safe. I can only see one number of my manifest.

But, my manifest is now out of sync while in flight, because the empty canister is not shown individually, and I'm guessing it's not available to be jettisoned either. I certainly can't select the gold to be jettisoned.

Some semi-related questions: When I scoop a fuel cell, and the fuel is immediately transferred to my onboard fuel tank, what happens to the empty canister? Does it still take up a spot in my cargo, or does it just vanish? Likewise, if I scoop up "1t of nothing" (which happened recently), does it take up space, or can I jettison it, or does it just vanish?

In an ideal world I should be able to jettison these empties, and free up the space, but there doesn't appear to be any way to see them.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<wanders through the thread - ponders quirks - chortles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

phkb wrote:
Seriously, there does appear to be an issue here somewhere...

If I scoop up gold, two things are happening (1) a spare spot in my cargo bag is taken up, and (2) the random amount of gold in the container is added to my gold already in the safe. Technically, these are just two variables in my current ship definition.

However, theoretically I now have an empty cargo canister, because the gold was transferred to my safe. I can only see one number of my manifest.
Not quite. When you scoop gold the cargo pod goes into your hold. The gold stays there until you dock, so there is no empty pod present. However although the gold remains in the cargo pod/bakingfoilium container in the hold, it is added to any other gold you may already have in your safe in terms of the stock inventory.
So, it's in the hold in a cargo pod, but shows up in the inventory as if it is in the safe, which I agree is daft and unhelpful :P
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

phkb wrote:
Some semi-related questions: When I scoop a fuel cell, and the fuel is immediately transferred to my onboard fuel tank, what happens to the empty canister? Does it still take up a spot in my cargo, or does it just vanish?
Umm.. you scoop "fuel cells"? :shock:

WTF? I've never seen one of those.. is that some OXP-added item?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
So, it's in the hold in a cargo pod, but shows up in the inventory as if it is in the safe, which I agree is daft and unhelpful :P
So how come you can't eject it again? :twisted: :twisted: :wink: