Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite version 1.76.1 Refuses To Start

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Oolite version 1.76.1 Refuses To Start

Post by Geraldine »

Hi Ooliters
Been having a chat with El Viejo, over at the SSC about my attempts to get Oolite to run. After sending in an email, he advises I should start a thread on here too.

Recently, I updated my AMD graphics drivers (now tried latest Beta drivers for my HD6850), my bios and McAFee.
Oolite was working fine before "something" on my system has stopped it all of a sudden.
I have disabled McAfee to no avail, but I suspect it does have something to do with the graphics drivers. Any advice would be appreciated

I enclose the logs from Oolite and it does mention some problem with GL.

"18:38:29.717 [log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.76.1 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2012-11-15 18:38:29 +0000.
4 processors detected.
Build options: spoken messages, mass/fuel pricing, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support, JavaScript profiling.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

18:38:31.874 [display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1280 x 1024
18:38:33.290 [display.mode.error]: ***** ERROR: Could not create display surface: Unable to make GL context current

Closing log at 2012-11-15 18:38:33 +0000."

HELP! :cry:
Geraldine
Elite IV Is Released. Now Keeping The Faith in Oolite, Pioneer & FFE3D :D
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite version 1.76.1 Refuses To Start

Post by CommRLock78 »

Geraldine: It sounds like you're using windows, but I recently had something odd happen to my AMD driver (for an HD5450) under Linux Mint. I think some system update I ran broke the driver, because all the sudden CCC disappeared (literally, I searched the entire drive and never found amdcccle). Before realizing that though, I noticed poor performance of the machine all around while I had Oolite running and some strange missing textures from things, namely the Seedy space bar. Next I noticed Trine2 wouldn't start - and then I knew something was wrong with the driver, which is when I found out that CCC had disappeared (it wouldn't start, since the file had straight up gone).

My recommendation would be to uninstall the driver currently on the machine, then download the latest stable version, and install it.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!

Post by Geraldine »

Thanks for your reply CommRLock78 and yes it's Windows 7 I am running it on. I will try a total clean of all the old drivers and try again, many thanks! :)

Edit: it is the AMD drivers. I just cleaned out the drivers and Oolite ran with them installed, but once I re-installed them, Oolite wont start again. :x
Last edited by Geraldine on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geraldine
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Geraldine wrote:
Thanks for your reply CommRLock78 and yes it's Windows 7 I am running it on. I will try a total clean of all the old drivers and try again, many thanks! :)
You're quite welcome :mrgreen: . I've got my fingers crossed - I hope this gets you up and running again quickly :D
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Geraldine wrote:
... it is the AMD drivers.
<growls> The troubles I had with bloody AMD's so-called drivers! Good to hear you have nailed the culprit!
Roll-back to the last working drivers soonest, is my advice!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
Geraldine wrote:
... it is the AMD drivers.
<growls> The troubles I had with bloody AMD's so-called drivers! Good to hear you have nailed the culprit!
I think I might have to agree with this. I seem to remember having trouble back in '98 when I was trying to get an ATI TV card to work properly, with an ATI GFX card :!: , and the GFX driver was the culprit. And now this recent event, where CCC disappeared - the system seemed to think everything was okay, because $ sudo lshw -C video did in fact show the driver, but it sure wasn't working properly. This is not the proprietary AMD driver that Mint provides, it's actually from the website, and if it happens to act stupid again, I'm just going to roll back to the Mint's version of the driver ;).

Geraldine: Is it working?
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

El Viejo wrote:
I deleted everything in the AMD folder, so going back a driver version at a time, next up is 12.8, downloading that now. If it doesn't work I will keep going back until I find one that does work. Never had issues like this with Nvidia drivers, this is my very first ATI card :?
Geraldine
Cody

Post by Cody »

All that sounds so unhappily familiar, and the BIOS update would worry me slightly - good luck!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Geraldine, please check your desktop settings; is it set for 32-bit color depth? The error you are reporting seems to indicate that Oolite cannot set a 32-bit OpenGL context and the 16-bit safety fallback fails as well.

If that doesn't help, then I guess rolling back the drivers to the version you had working earlier would be your best bet for now. Still, it would be good to be able to find out exactly what it is in the newer driver that makes everything go south. Maybe a line in the AMD help forums could be a good idea too.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Geraldine has already checked for 32-bit colour, as I had passed on your hint, Admiral.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I'm wondering if you got it figured out Geraldine - it's no fun when Oolite doesn't run :evil: . (Rhyme intended - :D ).
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

Ok, after a day of steadily going back one driver version at a time, I have come to the conclusion that something is broken. As every driver causes Oolite not to work. Now get this, I have uninstalled the drivers and everything works! :? What on Giles is going on? Even something like Deus EX HR works without issue, so the "drivers" must be there, now I am totally confused. Anyway Oolite works!!! Um....but I don't know why :?
Geraldine
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'm all out of ideas - but something about that BIOS update has me wondering. Was that an auto-update, Geraldine?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
I'm all out of ideas - but something about that BIOS update has me wondering. Was that an auto-update, Geraldine?
Scary stuff, BIOS updates... It's great that you're up and running Geraldine, but what an awful mystery :x .
Geraldine
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Geraldine »

El Viejo wrote:
No, I did it because I had issues with other things on my system. These AMD Bulldozer CPUs can be problematic at times :roll:

As an Amiga owner, I thought I would never see the day I would say this :oops: .........but from now on it's going to be Intel powering my next PC. Well when I can afford a new one that is :lol:
Geraldine